Free Bank of Presets for AX8, Clean to Lead with extras!

just a bump and reminder that these are available. many people found them useful; i don't think i'm that amazing at making tones compared to some others :)

I almost gigged with my very slightly tweaked version of one of your dual input patches last night, but I wanted to give the Helix a go.

I have a philosophical setup question for you. I noticed that you set up your X/Y for the blocks the opposite of how I do it. For example, the drive block X is higher gain than drive block Y. Your Filter block (lead boost) has more boost in X than Y. I'm going to flip those when I hook up to AX8-Edit, but curious why you do it that way. Other than changing what was turned on in each scene, I don't think I made any other changes. Wait, yes.. I added some treble to one of the high gain scenes and presence to the other. They just sounded darker and more quiet to me.

Great stuff!

I have a philosophical setup question for you. I noticed that you set up your X/Y for the blocks the opposite of how I do it. For example, the drive block X is higher gain than drive block Y. Your Filter block (lead boost) has more boost in X than Y. I'm going to flip those when I hook up to AX8-Edit, but curious why you do it that way. Other than changing what was turned on in each scene, I don't think I made any other changes. Wait, yes.. I added some treble to one of the high gain scenes and presence to the other. They just sounded darker and more quiet to me.
with XY, i tend to put my "primary" sound on X, secondary on Y, so not related to gain amount at all. for the Filter block, i only use the X setting, so i paid no attention to what was on Y.

signing off for a bit. see you guys!

You mention in your video you are going direct into PA style FR speakers. Would you mind sharing what speakers you are using in the video? Sounds quite good clean or crunch. Thanks much, expecting my AX8 tomorrow :)

You mention in your video you are going direct into PA style FR speakers. Would you mind sharing what speakers you are using in the video? Sounds quite good clean or crunch. Thanks much, expecting my AX8 tomorrow :)
i'm not using any speakers in the video. it's recorded direct to the stream/video and it's hitting whatever speakers you use :)

Then what does this mean?

"These Presets were made with an Ernie Ball Majesty guitar, a high output 2 Humbucker guitar, going direct to PA style full-range speakers. If the presets sound like they have less gain than they should, please increase the Drive parameter in the Amp block as desired."

Basically, are you saying what we hear is not what you hear in the video?
[geez I must have awesome speakers 'cause it sounds really good ha.]

Last edited:
Then what does this mean?

"These Presets were made with an Ernie Ball Majesty guitar, a high output 2 Humbucker guitar, going direct to PA style full-range speakers.
ahh i see.

that statement mostly meant that i created the presets intended for use with Full-Range speakers, direct, and not through physical guitar amps or cabs. you aren't hearing a recording of any specific speakers though; what you hear on the video is direct from the AX8, through my interface, to the recording.

i created the presets using a variety of output devices actually. i monitored them on a very old Yamaha StagePas 300 at low volume, UM PRO 30 in ears, Audio-Technica ATM-H50 headphones, the speakers on any of my Mac computers, etc. i boost the highs and lows of my FAS gear channels to try and simulate the increased bass and treble when turning up. it's definitely NOT an exact science, but gets me close when i turn up the volume. many people have said they sound good to them as well, so that's great to hear :)

but really, i didn't overthink it too much. i turned knobs till they sounded good to me - which was honestly very few tone adjustments - and spend most of the time arranging the effects setup and footswitches.

Thanks. Made a donation. Some cool stuff here. I also use hybrid guitars (Parker, PRS, Hamer, Fender) often so the dual setups are nice.

The dual patches I set up on my Helix are more complex since I use a studio tube preamp (amp block), acoustic ir, separate delay, separate reverb, separate chorus, L.A. Studio compressor and others on just the piezo side, but I'll have to compare to see if there's enough difference. The main thing I'm trying to do is reduce the piezo quack which I can do with the tube preamp block and/or i.r. Is there anything on the Helix we could use in a dual path setup to reduce the piezo quack? EQ? Or maybe just run the piezo through a TC BodyREZ pedal?
Here's a GREAT article by Craig Anderton on taming piezo quack...
http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscell...high-tech-tactics-taming-the-wild-piezo/23469

Thanks for the presets, Chris. I couldn't figure out how to download the 8 patches in the one file all at once. I had to go one at a time, and it was a bit time consuming. Is there a way to move all 8 at once into preset slots? I'm new to Fractal products, so could use any advice you might offer.

I suppose I can load this patch from the OP in the AX8 with FW 2.02
Do I need some tweaks/resets?
There is some basic level adjustment needed on some. I plan to re-release the presets soon. The Selz site lets me update the files and everyone will get an email saying to download again :) Maybe sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for the presets, Chris. I couldn't figure out how to download the 8 patches in the one file all at once. I had to go one at a time, and it was a bit time consuming. Is there a way to move all 8 at once into preset slots? I'm new to Fractal products, so could use any advice you might offer.
You can follow this video that shows Axe-Edit - it should be the same for AX8-Edit.

http://axefxtutorials.com/2014/08/using-axe-manage-presets-cabs-axe-edit-3-1-0/

same here. i liked it for a while, but then i turned it off one day and was like oh there's the dynamics i've been trying to get with the compressor... i think for recordings, IRs on top of a piezo or real acoustic works, but for live, it chokes the sound or changes it too much.
I had great luck starting with the preamp and building from there. Compression can really get you in trouble if you use too much.

Back
Top Bottom