Fratomic

vedvai

Inspired
Hi very good, I wanted to share this with you.

I get the fratomic, tried it with great anticipation.

But finally sent back. :roll:

The problems:

The aggressiveness of the high frequencies, while following the advice of fellow forum.

The sound real copy of fratomic-PA system.

And how quickly it starts to break the stage.

I like to clean sounds and little overdrive, not the high overdrive and extreme profits.

The videos are really bad, the camera is bad.

But add a 4x12-making table with the same camera.

Excuse my English text, if not understand something, try to explain,, thank you very much.

Vedvai

Fratomic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEWFYHCVY_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Ld5v72Uqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRKEUVpJlhg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NzXVWOK1dE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_MMWNz25ng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXuFhYiwkBU

Mesa 4x12-dcm 1000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2S8VnhUp8Y

ADDED AUDIO TRACK COMPARISON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEK-WjpekkY

In all honesty, i can barely hear the difference between your clips due to youtube sound quality + cam mic.

A lot of users probably are wondering what you tried to answer: Is it worth it to go FRFR or keep their power amp + cab. I don't really think a video camera could faithfully reproduce the experience and show off the differences, but it was a nice try :)

Anyway, if you're comparing the Fratomic vs a 4x12 you're REALLY missing the point here. You're comparing apples to oranges.

The Fratomic is a FRFR system, which means what you put in is exactly what comes out. A 4x12 cab is not a Full Range reproduction device, and filters the input sound, which in the case of guitar amps, is a Good Thing©. The cab sims in the AxeFX are actually impulse responses:

- Taken with a reference Earthworks microphone
- Which was placed close to the speaker. It doesn't pick up the whole cab sound, just the speaker mostly, and only a part of it (eg. cone, cap, cap edge, etc).
- Going into a quality mic preamp that is supposedly transparent, but all of them have some character.

You're comparing this to a 4x12 Mesa/Boogie cab straight to your ears, with no microphone in the process, or mic pre. or mic positioning involved.

Ok, you do have a point that both the sounds in the samples were recorded with your camera, but the Fratomic is reproducing faithfully the sound of the axe being played through an impulse response of a recording rig and you're comparing it to a guitar cab

The Fratomic sound will be only as good as the IR you are using in the Axe AND, it will always sound like recorded guitar, unless used with a Far field IR such as Jay Mitchell's (2x12 GOLD and 2x12 G12H in the axe I believe).

Those IRs were carefully crafted to reproduce the entire sound of the cab while on a player's position (i.e sitting to the side of the cab), as opposed to the others, that are close miked and will give you the sound you would get in the monitoring room of a studio while recording your beloved 4x12 in the recording room.

Want to compare Apples to Apples? Mic up you cabinet, record something, then play it through some other FRFR system, such as Studio Monitors (KRK RP series, M-Audio BX series, Behringer Truth series, Adams, Genelecs, the list is huge), or a PA powered speaker such as the forum favored QSC HPR 122i or FBT Verve 8a.

Then play the same recording back through the Fratomics, and decide which you like the most. Now that's comparing Apples to Apples.

You can also take an impulse response of your cab when you mic it up to use with the Axe, there are detailed tutorials under the Cabs / IR section of this forum.

Jay Mitchell has provided limited insight on how to craft Far Field IRs in player position such as the ones he's created, but I guess you could obviously also ask him how to take a decent IR of your cab to use with the Fratomics and get the sort of sound you're used to. Obviously 1 speaker still wouldn't push as much air as the 4 speakers in your cab, but the sound would be a lot closer.

Hello. Thanks for the info.

But no, it is a benchmark, the sample is simply boogie about the same quality of recording, poor quality of the cam.

My intent is, whether you caused the fratomic them the same effects as me???

My results to date are:

Sound sterile
Volume level easy-saturated
-extremely high frequencies present in
"The impossibility of a clear link Fratomic flat response to PA

Thanks

Well, if you really want to know about the Fratomic cab, take the Axe out of the equation.

Plug a CD player into the input of the Fratomic and see what type of frequency response you are hearing. Put in a couple of your favorite discs that you are familiar with to see what your ears tell you. See if you are still noticing those extremely high frequencies you mentioned.

This way you won't be wondering if it is something about the Axe you are hearing, or if you just don't like the way the Fratomic cab sounds.

I of course realize that a CD is different that a guitar, which is why I said to do it this way. A good sounding CD will be more "full range" than a guitar, so you can then really hear what frequencies are bugging you in the Fratomic.

I guess if you really wanted to see what the Fratomic is doing, you should plug in some pink noise and use an analyzer. Not as pleasant to listen to as a CD, but it's about as "full range" as it gets.

Unless you want to run out and buy yourself one of these:

cq5010C.jpg

vedvai said:
Hello. Thanks for the info.

But no, it is a benchmark, the sample is simply boogie about the same quality of recording, poor quality of the cam.

My intent is, whether you caused the fratomic them the same effects as me???

My results to date are:

Sound sterile
Volume level easy-saturated
-extremely high frequencies present in
"The impossibility of a clear link Fratomic flat response to PA

Thanks

If

I should have tested this and confirm or deny my assumptions.

I managed to "clone" the response of my monitors - RME Fireface's home studio.

The twe had to stay on under a quarter.

Yet he remains the fratomic this weekend, some more tips??

Please do not pretend to think that a range of thrust from a 4x12, just pretend the sound of home study to live, nothing more and nothing less.

Very thankss!!

I'm a bit lost here. You are wondering why a 112 combo doesn't sound as big or loud as a 412 with a 1000 watt amp behind it? Yes/no?

To do a straight up comparision, you need four (4) Frantomic IMHO.

You cannot move as much air with any 112 as you can with a 412. Period. You can have the tones, but you will NOT get the 'push' of air.

IMHO, YMMV.

SCOTT NO

That's not the question,,,

the question is that it sounds so great in fratomic high frequencies, lacks cleaning, and other things.

I've never compared the 4x12 with fratomica,,,, that would be stupid on my part.

Thanks Scott

I think he's saying that if you have a Fratomic on stage, the highs are so pronounced that it differs from the PA and it breaks the mix.

In the videos he's comparing his studio monitors, which he likes, to the fratomic, which he thinks has harsh highs.

I think.

Exactly ...Cliff

I apologized for it in my first post :cry:

Try to explain as best as possible, if you tell me what you do not understand

Ved

Sidivan said:
I think he's saying that if you have a Fratomic on stage, the highs are so pronounced that it differs from the PA and it breaks the mix.

In the videos he's comparing his studio monitors, which he likes, to the fratomic, which he thinks has harsh highs.

I think.

Very Thanks

this is one of the problems mentioned

That is not the problem.

The problem is the limited definition of fratomic.

Advancement ...

I tried all sorts of adjustments, filters, parametric EQ, graphics, etc, etc, etc.

To run "decently" the fratomic,,, the tweti,,, got about 1 1 / 4 part

and continue with the problem

There is a serious communication issue here. I've responded to a PM of Ved's and we've also emailed about this. I'm not sure why he hasn't mentioned it in this thread. He is having an issue with his amp or there is something wrong with his setup. We haven't figured it out yet but I've forwarded the details to G66 who sold him the amp and will work with them to diagnose it.

-TK

FractalAudio said:
Sorry, you lost me. The language barrier is obviously the problem here.

Hi there,

I could translate Vedvai's posts into English and your replies into Spanish if he wants - I think he's using some sort of automatic translator here.

Regards,
Raúl

For what it's worth, I love the fact that the word "fratomica" has been born in this thread. :D

I don't know if it is the settings people are using (most likely the case) or if they are just hearing something different than me, but my Axe into Fratomic is a dead on accurate reflection of the patches I am using for recording. If anything, they are a bit "sweetened up" by the amplification through it, but not even enough to call it different. I was a bit surprised at the feedback I am getting on at higher volumes, but other than that, the Fratomic sounds amazing. I think people might be a tiny bit too picky or haven't tweaked their patches correctly (most likely the case).

Just my 2 cents, of course.

Back
Top Bottom