Frampton gets his "best guitar" back!

nikki-k

Experienced
Read about it here

Peter Frampton's favorite guitar, a '54 three pick-up Les Paul, has been returned to him after 31 years. Cool story.. here is a snippet...

Peter Frampton has been reunited with the Gibson electric guitar he played on "Frampton Comes Alive," three decades earlier after it was presumed destroyed in a plane crash.

It turns out the guitar did not burn up in November 1980 when a cargo plane crashed on takeoff in Caracas, Venezuela, on its way to Panama, where Mr. Frampton was to perform. Instead someone plucked it from the burning wreckage and later sold it to a musician on the Dutch Caribbean island of Curacao.

03artsbeat-peterframpton-articleInline.jpg

EDIT TO ADD:

Last edited:
Yeah. I personally know the guy who got it and returned it to Peter Frampton. I've been following this story from behind the scenes for a few months. Quite exciting!

Very cool!!!! I wonder if Pete compensated them for the efforts?

Money seems almost dirty in this context. That look of appreciation is child like in its completeness, a rare, beautiful thing in us old folks.
I don't know the circumstances of the person returning it, but I suspect Pete did right by them. He's always seemed a good dude.

Reactions: jon
Money seems almost dirty in this context. That look of appreciation is child like in its completeness, a rare, beautiful thing in us old folks.
I don't know the circumstances of the person returning it, but I suspect Pete did right by them. He's always seemed a good dude.

I understand the feelings on this. I can tell you that the person was compensated, but the one thing he raved to me about is that he got a Frampton Signature Gibson signed by Peter. That's the thing he was most happy about.

Wonder how much happier he would have been if they also returned his hair?

Very cool story.

"Instead someone plucked it from the burning wreckage and later sold it to a musician on the Dutch Caribbean island of Curacao".

Maybe if this guy had done a little research Mr. Frampton could have had it back a long tome ago? Or was it a case of this guy knew exactly what he was doing? It is very cool that he got it back.

AWESOME STORY!!! :D

Now only if they can find back my guitar skills which I seem to have lost about 30 years ago too! Hahahaha :D

I'm 29btw :eek:

That is way too cool...such an iconic Les Paul and it's great Pete has it back. I'd like to have seen the look on his face when he found out...

Oh I know what you mean and wasn't implying it had to be money. Was just curious if Pete is, as he seems, a cool guy that did something for them for the efforts be it tix, a replacement guitar, money etc. or is he one of those pretentious types of celebs we see so often.

IMO, the guitar should have been *taken* from its new "owner" and returned to its proper owner. The guy who originally "plucked it" should have been arrested and forced to pay both the second "owner" and Mr. Frampton damages.

I guess international law isn't what it should be. Finder's keepers???? WTF? It has ALWAYS been Frampton's guitar.

Good to hear - that guitar is very important to those of us who were 15 years old in 1976 and needed 15 minutes songs like "Do you feel like we do" to enjoy while smoking a "cigarette".

Almost Said Goodbye, but they Can't Take That Away from me, even after thirty years I'm Holding On To You. It's So Hard To Believe that I have my 54 Paul back! I was getting Lines On My Face, in More Ways Than One, but For Now it's our Day In The Sun!

i cant believe the headstock survived a plane crash. wow!!

Had to be a serious case for a Les Paul headstock to survive. That's a great story. My sense is that Frampton's a good dude and a great guitar player who's happy to be able to go out and have people want to hear him. Him becoming a brief superstar was a freak anomaly in the pop world.

He strikes me as a pretty chill kind of guy. He knew how to play up the rockstar thing on stage, but he never struck me as being all into himself.

Good to hear - that guitar is very important to those of us who were 15 years old in 1976 and needed 15 minutes songs like "Do you feel like we do" to enjoy while smoking a "cigarette".
Huh? ;-)

Seriously, the tone of that guitar on FCA is incredible.

Back
Top Bottom