Fractal vs Real thing A/B's?

Have you gone on Youtube? Quite a few there with some simple queries including other products like the AX8 (as well as the AXEFX).

these rarely accomplish much because they're usually not apples to apples....not to mention the variances between amps/cabs/speakers, even of the same exact kind.

This is the video i showed my buddy when he was still skeptical of Fractal and amp modeling. Thats before i changed his world when he got to plug into my XL+ to demo and feel how real it is too!

Here's a comparison between a Mesa Mark IV and a miked cabinet vs Quantum Axe-Fx with the exact same amp settings and an IR (shot with the ML capture method) of that mic-up used for the real sample:

The real test should be with clean and overdrive sound comparrison and not full tilt metal as everything sounds the same at that setting ;)
Oh cmon not this again. :D There's just as much variety in high gain if not more than in cleaner tones.

This is the video i showed my buddy when he was still skeptical of Fractal and amp modeling.

Lol, that specific video has caused many historical headaches on this forum. I hope no one is feeling a migraine from listening to that guy ramble about how all snare samples sound horrible lol. Anyways, yes, YouTube is a good source. An even better source is your own ears

:)

EDIT: Found it

Last edited:
Lol, that specific video has caused many historical headaches on this forum.
Oh yes and even seeing him say those things again brings back the headaches. If you watch a few of Glenn's videos you'll quickly realize that he never likes anything and always gives a strong opinion but what is that opinion worth really? Who is this guy? What has he done in the music industry? This is his band and he's the vocalist:

And here's his latest and greatest production:

I'm not going to give my own opinion. I'm just going to say that if you like the sound in these videos you should definitely trust everything said by Glenn "Fricker" Williams. I appreciate anyone who's capable of making a living in the music industry and do not judge. Personally I go for very different tones than he does so his opinion doesn't really mean much to me. Also I like to concentrate on the positives where as I feel like his whole thing is to concentrate on the negatives.

I'm not going to give my own opinion. I'm just going to say that if you like the sound in these videos you should definitely trust everything said by Glenn "Fricker" Williams. I appreciate anyone who's capable of making a living in the music industry and do not judge. Personally I go for very different tones than he does so his opinion doesn't really mean much to me. Also I like to concentrate on the positives where as I feel like his whole thing is to concentrate on the negatives.

Good for you Mikko, you're a class act & a heck of a producer yourself! Thanks for all you do and the solid attitude you do it with! :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

The real test should be with clean and overdrive sound comparrison and not full tilt metal as everything sounds the same at that setting ;)
LOL. If you truly love the heavy dirt, the converse is true. All cleans and light OD sound good... you just have to let the instrument do the heavy lifting. You could remove every clean amp but the Budda, JC120, and some random fender (since all but the Bassman sound the same), say the Deluxe, and you have all the clean a metal guy would ever need. :cool:

OT: Youtube comments are generally sad and hilarious at the same time on most videos of this variety; since 99% of the time these are incredibly poorly implemented as tests (if you have ever done any real scientific work), the ignorance of people's understanding of how to approach such a task and their naïveté regarding what is happening with their own psychology (since they are literally always rationalizing some bias in the comment after the 'reveal') combines to often stunning effect.

Lots of A/B-ing vs. real amps and vs. other modellers all over YouTube. At the end of the day, for gear this high end, the tone really is in your hands more than anything else, in my opinion.
Wisdom. When I went modeling, I was swayed by hearing people making the tones I wanted to get and they were using modeling gear. The underlying technology is irrelevant. It either is suited to your purpose (tone and feel) or it is not.

Last edited:
This is the video i showed my buddy when he was still skeptical of Fractal and amp modeling. Thats before i changed his world when he got to plug into my XL+ to demo and feel how real it is too!

I've seen a couple of videos with this guy and he's a bit annoying...there... I said it...shew I feel better...

Seriously though, in his clips I wrote down what I like better and in the end I chose the AF2 2 of 3 times. I like the AF2 vs. The 5150 and AF2 vs. The Cobra but did preferred the Mesa over the AF2.

I know nothing about the Cobra aside from its made by Framus and I saw Bill Leverty from Firehouse shred through one in 2006. Very cool guy and awesome guitarist might I add. What amp do you think this guy used as his base for the Cobra tone match? I wonder why don't we have a Cobra anyways?

Here's a comparison between a Mesa Mark IV and a miked cabinet vs Quantum Axe-Fx with the exact same amp settings and an IR (shot with the ML capture method) of that mic-up used for the real sample:

Oh cmon not this again. :D There's just as much variety in high gain if not more than in cleaner tones.

Where can i get this patch

Hey All,

First off, sorry about the Fricker video. Being a newbie I didn't realize there were previous post about him and agree he's not an ideal example (and a bit crazy!). Thanks swass, the ola video was great!
Mikko, I've watched a lot of your videos and am very impressed with the tones you create and thorough explanation of how you get there. Great job and please keep them coming!

Back
Top Bottom