Mesa Boogie Mark IV vs Axe-Fx Quantum USA Lead

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

No tone matching!! I'm using the same settings on the real amp vs USA Lead. It is also a nice showcase of how accurate my IR capture method is as this is also a real cab mic'ed up vs ML Sound Lab IR capture method.

As you can probably tell it's now my Global Amp 1 on the Axe-Fx. All I had to do was to set the low resonance frequency to 106hz so it matches the Traditional 4x12 Mesa cab low res freq and the master level absolutely needs to be at 4. Not 5 and not 3 but 4 as I demonstrated in that video. :) Other than that I believe the amp sim should work just like the real thing. The real GEQ doesn't have any set values but it's supposedly +-12dB just like the Mark series GEQ in the Axe-Fx amp block. However I noticed that at least the 240hz knob on the real amp doesn't really shape the curve of the amp that much so I had to pull that one down just a little bit more on the Axe-Fx amp sim. Remember that I didn't touch any of the advanced parameters to get the Axe-Fx USA Lead sound almost identical to my Mark IV which actually has EL34 tubes in the outer sockets and 6L6GC tubes in the inner sockets.

The point of this video was to prove that the modeling quality on the Axe-Fx has reached amazing accuracy. This is not only necessarily Quantum hype. I think I could've gotten similar results with firmwares before this since the Axe-Fx has always been really good.

However I know people will be asking for the preset so here are the screenshots for the amp block:

AXE-EDIT%201.png

AXE-EDIT%202.png

AXE-EDIT%203.png

Here's a link to those IRs and I used the Alloy IR for this demonstration and on the EP as well: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ound-lab-irs-clark-kent-job-generation-y.html

I'd love to hear some clips on how this preset works for you guys. That's a lot of gain! Lower the input drive to your taste. :) Fight the urge to try and raise that bass knob.

I never really knew this about myself, but I like the sound of a mesa amp. I say this because it was the sound I was always after but I really didnt know it. I used to use it on my Johnson J-station and now I use your petrucci settings tweaked with Cab Lab 13 pack. What is even cooler about all of this is that it was done with firmware updates and not new hardware. I am not on Quantum yet but I will mess around with this when I upgrade.

Going to give this a try this weekend, who am I kidding i'll be trying this as soon as I get out of work later :) Did you share this patch anywhere? would save my lazy ass from creating it myself :) Thanks bud.

This is so helpful. I would have never dreamed of turning a bass tone knob to 0.

This is the single best "secret sauce" help video I've seen on the forum.

And a perfect opportunity for me to ask once again, for help videos, similar to what Matt might do for an A-list player that he flies in to help dial in tones.

I feel like this is stuff only an A-lister would know or get help with, and now I know it.

PS - I can only listen to your EP at the moment. Everything else pales in comparison to my ears. Your songs usually have a "non-effected" intro guitar and then open up to an in-your-face-full-band sound. I'd like to know what EQ you apply to the basic amp/cab settings you've revealed here, that happens on your tracks when you go from the softer intro, to the loud sections?

Thanks

Marks with the 5 band EQ are weird and finnicky beasts! Even on my MK-V head I had the Bass almost at zero then added low end back via he EQ.

Hi Mikko,

Are your cuts on the Cab Block your usual 111Hz / 11111Hz thing?

Besides that I guess the Cab Block parameters are "default", isn't? I mean, Preamp Type to "None", 0% Room Level, etc...
A couple of screenshot of the Cab Block would wrap-up the nice thread ;)

Hello Mikko,

I'd like a little help here. This is my recording (with the exact settings you have shown + generation y alloy impulse + 111/11111 cut assumption).

This is what I get: https://soundcloud.com/ertan-ertang-n/quantum-ck-preset-mark-iv-plus

The clip also has the di sample starting from the 36th second.

I think that there is something wrong going on here.

Signal path: prs custom 24 loaded with bare knuckle nailbombs (ceramic bridge) -> lava cable (the purple one) -> axe 2.

I tried to change the cable (with a 12" planet waves, man, that was really hard to play :)), I tried to switch to the rear input, but not much change.

Hi Mikko,

Are your cuts on the Cab Block your usual 111Hz / 11111Hz thing?

Besides that I guess the Cab Block parameters are "default", isn't? I mean, Preamp Type to "None", 0% Room Level, etc...
A couple of screenshot of the Cab Block would wrap-up the nice thread ;)

For this sound I had everything off so no low or high cuts.

Hello Mikko,

I'd like a little help here. This is my recording (with the exact settings you have shown + generation y alloy impulse + 111/11111 cut assumption).

This is what I get: https://soundcloud.com/ertan-ertang-n/quantum-ck-preset-mark-iv-plus

Signal path: prs custom 24 loaded with bare knuckle nailbombs (ceramic bridge) -> lava cable (the purple one) -> axe 2.

I tried to change the cable (with a 12" planet waves, man, that was really hard to play :)), I tried to switch to the rear input, but not much change.

That does not sound like a lot of gain. Are your pickups low volume pickups? It almost sounds like you're picking very lightly. Could you have something wrong in your input settings?

I personally can't say enough about turning DOWN the gain, especially when recording.
Adjust the gain with your ears and not the number on the knob. :)

Is this the same as your preset w / cab ? " Mikko's Mesa Boogie Mark IV " I reloaded it and got the cab right finally but the master vol was at 2.3 was a tad loose. Turned MV up to 4 and it was so tight it knocked my pick out of my hand.

Hello Mikko,

I dialed this patch in and it sounded a bit thin for me too. I adjust the Input Trim (Amp Block > Basic) to 1.3 and it got it there for me.

Hello Mikko,

Same thing here. Not sure what's going on.

I've actually been having this problem ever since I got my XL+. The only way I can get the types of heavy tones I hear in your demos is if I put a drive block before the amp.

I have a Jackson Misha 6 w/ Juggs and a Schecter KM6 with an alpha/omega set so output from the guitar shouldn't be a problem.

Confused... [emoji17]

Same thing here. Not sure what's going on.

I've actually been having this problem ever since I got my XL+. The only way I can get the types of heavy tones I hear in your demos is if I put a drive block before the amp.

I have a Jackson Misha 6 w/ Juggs and a Schecter KM6 with an alpha/omega set so output from the guitar shouldn't be a problem.

Confused... [emoji17]

Isn't there a pretty common user error of having the wrong I/O settings that result to -6dB gain? I'm not completely sure but I remember something like this. You could try a system reset...

EDIT: That actually goes to all you guys experiencing low-ish gain. A Mark IV with both gains at 8 should be maximum gain you could ever use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom