Fractal user who's finally happy: my journey...

Goldtop57

Inspired
Vendor
So I bought an axe fx II, MFC and Matrix GT1000fx about 6 years ago. This was the first time I tried to go full digital after using a pedalboard for years.
The learning curve was easier than I imagined because any experience with the analog gear modeled in the Axe is very helpful. Going through studio monitors sounded great immediately. So I tried the Matrix and guitar cab setup, because that's what I was used too live.
It always sounded thin, raspy, crappy, you name it, no matter what I tried... So I tried a Magnum 44 power amp pedal I had lying around. To my surprise, that pedal actually sounded a bit better than the Matrix, but still sounded pretty terrible. So I sold the Matrix.
I then used the axe fx for home use only, an expensive practice amp basically, and went back to pedalboard and amp for live.
I kept reading so many good things about the amp and cab setup that I decided to give it another try, this time I bought a Palmer Macht power amp.
Same deal, thin, fizzy, couldn't get any useable tone out of it.
So i thought, this setup just isn't for me I guess! But I wanted Midi switching capability for live, so I figured out a hybrid rig. Sold the axe fx, and bought an AX8.
Analog drive pedals in a Boss ES-8 looper, and an AX8 for FX only. All on one board, through a deluxe reverb. This actually sounded great, but the board was so heavy I got tired of lugging it around really quickly.
So I decided to give the full ax8, power amp and cab setup another shot.
I met with Yek to see if he could figure out what I was doing wrong with the power amp and cab setup. Strangely, when hooking up my AX8 to his Matrix or Fryette power station, all of a sudden it sounded great!
So I bought a Power Station too.
It finally started to sound like I wanted to, but when making presets on the AX8 with live use in mind, I noticed I ran out of CPU and footswitches to do what I wanted... and after a while, I started to notice there was a lot of high end that usually isn't there with my analog setup, and which was hard to dial out.
So I sold the AX8, and was able to buy my old Axe fx and MFC setup back, which I sold to a friend. I also decided to give the Matrix one last try, and bought a new GT1000FX, because that setup sounded great at Yek's place.
This is my current setup, and I am happy to say I am finally happy with the way it sounds! I can finally load up an amp, tweak BMT and done. It sounds great, no weird high end or lack of bottom end.
In retrospect, the old matrix I had must have been defective, because the difference is night and day.
The magnum 44 just doesn't sound good, and neither does the Palmer Macht. The Fryette power station does sound good, but if you leave the high resonance (speaker tab) on default, the is just to much high end (above 8k and up). Turning down the resonance largely (not completely) solved that problem, but that isn't an option for me because I want to run speaker sims to out 1 simultaniously.
Long story short, for me, the GT1000FX is the best power amp, hands down!

Good to hear, I am in a similar situation. I'd like to leave the speaker page alone if possible but with the power station you definitely need to lower the High Res. I'm going to have to get my hands on a matrix once and for all before I head back to 4 cable method.

Yes, Presence and Depth should be down.
But even with those settings, Resonance in the Amp block should be neutralized for best results.
If not, high and lows are hyped and the guitar is prone to early feedback.

The Power Station still is the best solution I've used. But the Matrix is easier.

Ya I always had them down. I did finally try the power station as a load to line for my Friedman runt into my XL with the cab sims and that was fun. Definitely way better sounding than the analog out cab sim in there imo.

Yes, Presence and Depth should be down.
But even with those settings, Resonance in the Amp block should be neutralized for best results.
If not, high and lows are hyped and the guitar is prone to early feedback.

The Power Station still is the best solution I've used. But the Matrix is easier.
Where is this found? I'm experiencing a lot of bad glass breaking shrill crisp tone. If I EQ too much it becomes lifeless.
I've had these issues from day one. I know I'm doing something wrong.

In the speaker tab, AMP block, if you use axe-edit.
I usually adjust LFR to match my cab and adjust HFR depending on amp-sim, for example turning it down with recto-ish amps

Yea turning down the HFR is a big help to the cab tone imo. I tried the high cut, lowering the global eq highs and a PEQ before the FXL block but none of those options sounded as good as when lowering the HFR.

My band is all IEM. I have an AX8. I've tried every tip I can find on the forum, third party IRs and I even just tried a Palmer PDI-03 JB replacing my cab block with it using a FX Loop block. I practice at home with tracks using the same IEMs/similar setup and my tones seem good to great. Then invariably at band practice my tone has transformed to thin, raspy and crappy as the OP describes. I'm wondering if the Power Station could be the magic bullet? How good is the direct recording out? Damn I'm frustrated......I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Yek?

My band is all IEM. I have an AX8. I've tried every tip I can find on the forum, third party IRs and I even just tried a Palmer PDI-03 JB replacing my cab block with it using a FX Loop block. I practice at home with tracks using the same IEMs/similar setup and my tones seem good to great. Then invariably at band practice my tone has transformed to thin, raspy and crappy as the OP describes. I'm wondering if the Power Station could be the magic bullet? How good is the direct recording out? Damn I'm frustrated......I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Yek?
Dialing in your tone at band practice is the magic bullet. :)

Meanwhile, the tone knob on your guitar is an effective and musical quick fix.

Where is this found? I'm experiencing a lot of bad glass breaking shrill crisp tone. If I EQ too much it becomes lifeless.
I've had these issues from day one. I know I'm doing something wrong.

I think Cliff and Yek were referring to the controls on the Fryette Power Station rather than those in the AxeFX or AX8.

Dialing in at band practice.....I won't argue that point and resolve to do it. Practical application point made.
Now any technical/gear/tips/tricks to add to it. Still want to know if the Power Station could help.

Reactions: Rex

RossE,

I am in a similar situation. I have returned to running my dual CLR's on stage behind me like a backline for some front row crowd projection, and guitar feedback interaction. Often, I pull out an ear (or both) and get on with business when I need to hear things a certain way.
I fear IEM's are just never going to sound on stage like they do at home in a quiet room. I run Sennheiser ew-g-300 setup with middle of the road ear buds. I know my next move is to invest in some 64 Audio or Ultimate ears or some other custom mold. I think the issue is more about the IEM than anything I am doing with my Fractal. Sound isolation is the key. All the ambient noise getting in the way competing with and canceling out frequencies in your ear make the sound thin and crappy. A good mix is essential. A bad as it might sound in my IEM, I pull them out and walk out in front of the PA and things sound really great. It makes me want to play the show from out there!

if you're band is all IEM is it safe to assume you're running direct? if so the power station is of no use to you.

If you're all IEM, why use a Power Station?
As stated above, an IR gives far better tone than a direct out.

Dialing in at band practice.....I won't argue that point and resolve to do it. Practical application point made.
Now any technical/gear/tips/tricks to add to it.
Tone knob. ;)

It's the most-overlooked control in the guitarist's arsenal. Most players, for some reason, are afraid to touch it.

Find the sweet spot. That's what it's there for.

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks. I went to the rehearsal space and brought one of our mains home.
I've started through my presets trying to make them sound good through it. I've felt my tone through the mains
has been about the same as the IEMS.....thin and raspy. I figure I'll see how that translates to my ear buds.

Rex.....I'm guilty. Always been a dime it and leave it guy with the tone knob. I played around with that tonight
and can see it is going to be a major game changer. Thanks for slapping me with something so simple and obvious.

Reactions: Rex
Rex.....I'm guilty. Always been a dime it and leave it guy with the tone knob. I played around with that tonight
and can see it is going to be a major game changer. Thanks for slapping me with something so simple and obvious.
Congratulations! You are now in the 1% club. 99% of guitarists have forgotten that the tone knob exists.

Back
Top Bottom