Fractal user reviews TONEX Pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I am interested in: could I use the ToneX pedal in the effects loop of my FM3? I would be interested in the ToneX Amp profiles, but still would like to use my FM3 effects. Especially because ToneX pedal is "light" on effects.
Definitely. Use Out 3 or 4 and In 3 or 4. I usually set the pad to 18db.

I'm also considering using it just as an IR loader on occasion via an Fx loop. Maybe free up some CPU for other uses.

No luck on the IK promo code here either; however, you can use AltoMusic’s 15% off code and it’s $339 with no tax and free shipping.

I used to get no tax with Alto to FL, same with ProAudioStar and some other retailers until recently but now they all seem to add tax (as I suppose they are required to)

Definitely. Use Out 3 or 4 and In 3 or 4. I usually set the pad to 18db.

I'm also considering using it just as an IR loader on occasion via an Fx loop. Maybe free up some CPU for other uses.
I’m thinking the same thing. Considering picking up an HX Stomp to have the best of all 3 worlds, but that might be overkill.

Well, my ToneX (ordered with the coupon code) is out for delivery today so the order definitely went through with it. Very cool. Jason Sadites posted a great video on midi control of the ToneX earlier today

What I am interested in: could I use the ToneX pedal in the effects loop of my FM3? I would be interested in the ToneX Amp profiles, but still would like to use my FM3 effects. Especially because ToneX pedal is "light" on effects.

Already planning to do this - the combo would be what I hoped the QC would be but wasn't quite, since it seems fractal is not likely to add any ML blocks at any point

Likely, just added it to the cart to see if it worked, but it doesn't. I did find out that I had $38 in jam points from 8 or 9 years ago when I used Amplitude in the distant past! It's kind of tempting for $362 but with my FM9 wait list spot coming up in about a month I'll pass.
I totally forgot to add my Jam points! Dangit!

A couple questions:
Let's say you're playing a model preset and jack up the midrange knob on the pedal. Then you load a new amp model preset.
How does the position of the midrange knob (and the others, for that matter) relate to the new preset? Is it now irrelevant, or is there some sort of way that the knob(s) and internal software interact to allow you to know where the reference for the new model is?

Do you only need the capture software (and whichever A-D interface you prefer) to do captures? Or will any interface/load box work? I see that IK has their own "Capture" box, so just wondering if that was necessary.

A couple questions:
Let's say you're playing a model preset and jack up the midrange knob on the pedal. Then you load a new amp model preset.
How does the position of the midrange knob (and the others, for that matter) relate to the new preset? Is it now irrelevant, or is there some sort of way that the knob(s) and internal software interact to allow you to know where the reference for the new model is?

Do you only need the capture software (and whichever A-D interface you prefer) to do captures? Or will any interface/load box work? I see that IK has their own "Capture" box, so just wondering if that was necessary.

The knob positions do not relate to the current preset's value as far as I can see.

Hi there ,how would you connect the tonex pedal to an fm9/fx3 .could you tell or show me ? Thx in advance

Hi there ,how would you connect the tonex pedal to an fm9/fx3 .could you tell or show me ? Thx in advance
See the 4CM section of the manual (https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...ctions_and_levels#Four_Cable_Method_.284CM.29), it's basically the same except instead of an amp it's the ToneX pedal and your main output is whatever is right now.

You have a couple of options, the most flexible one is something like this:
fx_loop.png

On the FM3, you would use Out2 and In 2.
On the FM9, you would use Out 3 and In 3.
On the Axe-Fx III you would use Out 3/In3 or Out 4/In 4.

You can insert any effects before the ToneX ( before the Out 2/3/4 block) and effects after would be after the IN 2/3/4 block.

An alternative is to select "Copy Input 1" in the Output 2/3/4 setup menu so then your patches would only have to have an IN 2/3/4 block - however, you then cannot insert effects before the ToneX.

Configure Output 2/3/4 in the setup audio menu for +18dB Boost/Pad (to minimize noise) and do Sum L+R as the output mode (as Tone X pedal is essentially mono).

Connection wise,
  • Guitar into FM3/FM9/Axe-Fx III
  • FM3 OUT2 L/FM9 OUT3L /Axe-FX OUT3L or OUT4L into Tone X input (Consider using a humbuster cable)
  • Tone X Output L into FM3 Input 2L/FM9 Input 3L/Axe-Fx III Input 3L or Input 4L

Last edited:
See the 4CM section of the manual (https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...ctions_and_levels#Four_Cable_Method_.284CM.29)

You have a couple of options, the most flexible one is this:

View attachment 116639

On the FM9, you would use Out 3.

Configure Output 2/3 in the setup audio menu for +18dB Boost/Pad (to minimize noise) and do Sum L+R as the mode.

You can insert any effects before ToneX (i.e. before Out 2/3 block) and affects after come after In 2/3 block.

An alternative is to select "Copy Input 1" in the Output 2/3 setup menu so then your patches would only have to have an IN 2/3 block - however, you then cannot insert effects before the ToneX.

Connection wise,
  • Guitar into FM3/FM9
  • FM3 OUT2 L/FM9 OUT3L into Tone X input (Consider using a humbuster cable)
  • Tone X Output L into FM3 Input 2L/FM9 Input 3L
I'd use IN/OUT 3 though, I think the tonex expects instrument level at its input and by using out 3 at unity gain it's easy peasy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom