Fractal Newbie learning to use the Axe FX II needs some direction

As far as the X-Y, it only affects the specific effect that is highlighted on your screen. i.e., if you are in "Amp", you will be switching X-Y for the Amp effect. If you wish to switch X-Y on, say, Chorus, hit Edit button until Chorus comes up, and X-Y it.

If you're using Scenes, note that the X-Y only affects the highlighted effect, in the Scene you are in. i.e. if you're in Scene 1, and X-Y Chorus, it doesn't affect Chorus in Scenes 2 through 8.

Also, you have to Save the preset, before switching to the next one, or your changes will be lost.

Are you saving your X and Y settings to different scenes, i.e., scene 1 = X, scene 2 =Y?

For that sizzle you're hearing - you might want to try turning input down a smidge on the I/O page.

Are you saving your X and Y settings to different scenes, i.e., scene 1 = X, scene 2 =Y?

For that sizzle you're hearing - you might want to try turning input down a smidge on the I/O page.

Yes, I'm saving the X/Y settings to different scenes. I still want the option of switching on the fly within a scene while playing live. I'll work on that once I get to working on the MFC.

That "sizzle" I've heard so far has only been thru the headphones while editing, so I guess it could be the whole USB connection thing that I heard Cooper talk about some, but it's such a small preset, the CPU can't be very high, so I'm not sure. I did try going thru and turning things down wherever possible. Helped a little but never completely removed it.

Yes, I'm saving the X/Y settings to different scenes. I still want the option of switching on the fly within a scene while playing live. I'll work on that once I get to working on the MFC.

That "sizzle" I've heard so far has only been thru the headphones while editing, so I guess it could be the whole USB connection thing that I heard Cooper talk about some, but it's such a small preset, the CPU can't be very high, so I'm not sure. I did try going thru and turning things down wherever possible. Helped a little but never completely removed it.

That sizzle you're hearing with headphones may have to do with the fact that you're hearing the end result of a cab with a mic on it (any IR you choose) vs. an actual amp/speaker cab in the room like we're used to with traditional rigs. More like you're sitting behind the board tracking in a studio with your amp rig mic'ed in a booth or live room, etc. When we're standing in the room playing an amp cranked up, the high SPL's can mask some of what you're hearing through the monitors. The mic'ed (IR) sound can also introduce "sizzle" depending on the gear (mics) used and mic placement, etc.

The point is that you should approach using the Axe FX (when playing it through headphones or monitors, etc.) like you're in a studio. I tend to use low-pass and high-pass in the cab block to shave low end and high end depending on the IR I've picked and the goal, etc. When using headphones with the Axe FX, I tend to trim down as far as 5KHz to keep the high end in check for my preferences (I like warm vintage tones typically).

Read up on the cab block in the wiki on this link: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=CAB_block
Specifically, check out #18 (Low Cut and High Cut parameters in the Cabinet Block) in this link for more info on what I was talking about.

You can also pick a specific cab (IR) that has a warm top end to help with the sizzle and not have to mess with high cuts int he cab block. There are a number of ways to address this.

It could also just be the particular headphones you're using. But you can adjust settings in the Axe to make any set of phones usable. I have a few presets that I maintain strictly for headphone use, with settings that do not work through any other monitoring I might use.

Back
Top Bottom