Fractal Newbie learning to use the Axe FX II needs some direction

Hi, everyone. I'm pretty new here. Actually bought the Axe FX II XL+ (and MFC-101) last summer. Went through most of the 384 or so presets, and only liked a few. I quickly realized I was going to need to devote some serious time to learning how to develop sounds for myself, and the first reaction was feeling overwhelmed by the depth of everything, so I put it off until I was less busy and could devote the time necessary. Ready to go now. I'm a bit "long in the tooth" here, and have been playing for more decades than I care to remember, but fairly tech savvy (for my generation) and willing to dig into this. But it's pretty hard to know where to start. Most of my playing is in classic rock (as in 50s/60s/70s) cover bands, so I need to cover a variety of sounds/tones. To this point, I've used almost exclusively standard Fender amps (Twin Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Hot Rod Deluxe, etc.) with your typical pedal boards. I've tried scanning through the thousands and thousand of threads, but very few seem to apply to what I'm trying to do, and the sheer volume of threads to look through is totally overwhelming. I'm up for whatever guidance/advice I can get here. Willing to put in the time, but where to start? Suggestions?
Thanks!

**Note: one of the members suggested I add this additional info to the original post:
Playing application(s): Live band gigs (for now). Monitoring: Straight into PA (PA speakers when rehearsing, In-ears when playing live).

Last edited:
There's a learning curve for sure.. I was like you, coming from using traditional tube amps and pedal rigs for years, when I bought the Axe FX II (4-5 years ago now, when they first released the II).

Adding more details will help.
What playing application(s) will you be using the Axe for? (live band gigs, at home playing, recording, etc)
How are you monitoring the Axe FX II when playing through it? (desk top studio monitors, larger FRFR monitors such as the Atomic CLRs, power amp and traditional guitar cab, etc)

Past that, I would suggest starting off by building your own presets with just an amp block, cab block, and maybe a reverb block if you like. Keep it simple and concentrate on getting the hang of the amp and cab blocks first. You could search for tutorial videos on youtube specific to getting started w/ the Axe FX. Also search the forum (maybe search just the titles of threads with specific words like "getting started" or similar). There have been plenty of threads asking the exact same question you asked here.

Sleestak, I took a quick look, and will def keep that in mind. Looks like those two courses were created a while back (before the XL & XL+), and I'm not sure what the difference is. I'm sure there's still some good info there. Thanks!

There's a learning curve for sure.. I was like you, coming from using traditional tube amps and pedal rigs for years, when I bought the Axe FX II (4-5 years ago now, when they first released the II).

Adding more details will help.
What playing application(s) will you be using the Axe for? (live band gigs, at home playing, recording, etc)
How are you monitoring the Axe FX II when playing through it? (desk top studio monitors, larger FRFR monitors such as the Atomic CLRs, power amp and traditional guitar cab, etc)

Past that, I would suggest starting off by building your own presets with just an amp block, cab block, and maybe a reverb block if you like. Keep it simple and concentrate on getting the hang of the amp and cab blocks first. You could search for tutorial videos on youtube specific to getting started w/ the Axe FX. Also search the forum (maybe search just the titles of threads with specific words like "getting started" or similar). There have been plenty of threads asking the exact same question you asked here.

Playing application(s): Live band gigs (for now). Monitoring: Straight into PA (PA speakers when rehearsing, In-ears when playing live).
Thanks for the tips.

The cool thing about the Axe-Fx is that it never has to be more complicated than you feel like dealing with. Everything is totally modular, and you never have to travel through the difficult stuff to get to the easy stuff, if that makes sense.

Start simple. Put one Amp block and one Cab block on the grid. Pick a cab that sounds good (personally I love factory cab 103 - Marshall 4x12 Basketweave TV), then pick an amp you want to try and start with just the regular controls you normally find.

Gain
Treble
Mid
Bass
Master
Level

That's it. That's all you need to worry about. If after that you want to turn more knobs or add more blocks to the grid, then go right ahead, but getting a great tone really doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

The cool thing about the Axe-Fx is that it never has to be more complicated than you feel like dealing with. Everything is totally modular, and you never have to travel through the difficult stuff to get to the easy stuff, if that makes sense.

Start simple. Put one Amp block and one Cab block on the grid. Pick a cab that sounds good (personally I love factory cab 103 - Marshall 4x12 Basketweave TV), then pick an amp you want to try and start with just the regular controls you normally find.

Gain
Treble
Mid
Bass
Master
Level

That's it. That's all you need to worry about. If after that you want to turn more knobs or add more blocks to the grid, then go right ahead, but getting a great tone really doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Thanks for the advice (K.I.S.S. method). Will definitely start that way.

Another quick question: I have like 384 preset locations already with the unit. Where do you typically store your own custom presets?

There are more slots than 384 (over 700) - use those and/or feel free to rearrange them so you can access w your MFC (only addresses the 384).

Look in axe-edit or use the large front knob to reach extra banks/slots.

I realize there are more than 384 "slots", but I will obviously want to access my custom patches with my MFC, which I understand can only access slots 1-384 (or 0-383). So do people usually move a block of presets out of the way (above 384), to make room for their own custom patches?

Thanks for the tips.

Gotcha Dave- you might add these details to your original post above as they're critical to getting more specific advice for your application.

I've used the Axe FX in a band environment numerous times, although I ran it into a pair of Atomic CLRs and did not need to run it to the PA. I've not used in-ears, but you'll find specific threads that cover this topic in depth.

I will suggest that you dial in your presets at the volume you expect to be using for live gigs to address issues with the Fletcher-Munson EQ curves at different volumes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves

It also may help you to try and use the specific PA speakers/monitors you'll be using for this (if your band has it's own PA). Not necessary per say, but I think it helps.

I realize there are more than 384 "slots", but I will obviously want to access my custom patches with my MFC, which I understand can only access slots 1-384 (or 0-383). So do people usually move a block of presets out of the way (above 384), to make room for their own custom patches?

Yes, as I mentioned above.

Most of the factory presets after 128 are demos of effects capabilities and it won't hurt one bit just to move those to the back, and move your most frequently used presets upfront or create space to create your own.

There is also a third-party tool called MCF-edit which will allow you to organize your MFC differently and comprehensively as needed. (You need to think of the MFC is it's own standalone computer which runs its own firmware and interacts with the Axefxll.)

Last edited:

Yes, there are 384 factory presets and in the XL double that amount of slots, I just duplicated the 384 factory slots in the next 384 open spots. The first 384 that the MFC can access is then a combination of my own presets, modified factory presets and factory presets that I like. This also allows me to still use all the original factory presets in the final 384 spots (that the MFC cannot access) for reference and ideas etc...

Yes, there are 384 factory presets and in the XL double that amount of slots, I just duplicated the 384 factory slots in the next 384 open spots. The first 384 that the MFC can access is then a combination of my own presets, modified factory presets and factory presets that I like. This also allows me to still use all the original factory presets in the final 384 spots (that the MFC cannot access) for reference and ideas etc...
I obviously haven't gotten deep enough to even know this, but is duplicating the first 384 presets to the next 384 slots a simple process that allows you to "duplicate" an entire range?

Another quick question: I have like 384 preset locations already with the unit. Where do you typically store your own custom presets?

Personally, I've always thought of the factory patches as more or less there to show you what the Axe-Fx can do and how to approach patch design as opposed to being turn-key guitar rigs.

Because of this, I'd look over them two or three times, pick out the ones you find interesting, then honestly just group those up and delete the rest. Anything you build is going to sound better anyway.

Personally, I've always thought of the factory patches as more or less there to show you what the Axe-Fx can do and how to approach patch design as opposed to being turn-key guitar rigs.

Because of this, I'd look over them two or three times, pick out the ones you find interesting, then honestly just group those up and delete the rest. Anything you build is going to sound better anyway.

I am SO relieved to hear several of you say that. Obviously this is all a major investment (money and time), and a major departure from the "old way" of doing things. When I first unpacked it and went through all 384 presets (finding very few of what I considered actually "usable" patches), I thought, "Oh, crap! What have I done?" I was hoping to find more "right out of the box" that I could use. But I guess I've got some work ahead of me, learning to become a "tweaker" (and not the meth user kind).

I'll add another recommendation for Cooper Carter's class. I have an XL+ and the class didn't feel outdated to me.

A few comments:

Don't worry about deleting factory presets, if you need the room. They are always available online, if you need to get them back, and it only takes a few minutes.

Learn to make your own presets, if you haven't already. It's pretty easy, if you're using AxeEdit; I highly recommend using this software, especially at first. I like to more or less use the same layout in all of my "standard" user presets. My layout is often pretty similar to what I'd be doing with an analog rig with a pedal board.

I move the factory presets into Banks D, E & F, and mostly use them for reference. Occasionally I might use one unmolested, but mostly I use them for ideas, or starting points. In my mind they are intended to demonstrate the capability of the unit, instead of be-all end-all patches. I then use Bank A for my main presets, and Banks B & C are downloads of other user's presets that give me ideas.

I usually try to limit my main user presets to about 40-ish. This gives me a pretty broad range, but is manageable to work with, when I need to reset things, do firmware updates, try out speaker cab IRs, etc. I'm in a similar situation to yours, age-wise & playing out. I haven't found a need to have much more than that. even most of those could probably be cut in half, if I wanted - I mainly like to have a few extras in my back pocket, of those days when nothing seems to feel right, or room acoustic are drag.

I second the Cooper Carter classes. Also look for posts by forum members Scott Peterson, Fremen, yek, AlGrenadine, simeon, Danny Danzi, iaresee, Chirs@AxeFxTutorials or Katsukurimedia.com, of course FractalAudio & Admin M@. A couple more folks who consistently post useful information are on the tip of my tongue, but escape me at the moment. A search for current or old posts by any of these folks could teach you a lot.

The wiki, JMA's "Amp & Cab Quick Reference "and "FAS Amps Models Gallery & More...", "Yek's guide to the FA Amp Models" are invaluable. I refer to these over and over - can't get enough of these.

Don't be frustrated. What seems difficult today, will be second-nature after you've played with it a bit more.

When I try a new amp or pedal/effect, I check out a myriad of YouTube videos of the device, to see what the range of capabilities are. Sometimes the way it's set up in another user's preset wouldn't work for me, but a different setting might be perfect.

Check out the "Axe-Fx Recordings" section, and comments. A lot can be gleaned there.

Last edited:
A few comments:

Don't worry about deleting factory presets, if you need the room. They are always available online, if you need to get them back, and it only takes a few minutes.

Learn to make your own presets, if you haven't already. It's pretty easy, if you're using AxeEdit; I highly recommend using this software, especially at first. I like to more or less use the same layout in all of my "standard" user presets. My layout is often pretty similar to what I'd be doing with an analog rig with a pedal board.

I move the factory presets into Banks D, E & F, and mostly use them for reference. Occasionally I might use one unmolested, but mostly I use them for ideas, or starting points. In my mind they are intended to demonstrate the capability of the unit, instead of be-all end-all patches. I then use Bank A for my main presets, and Banks B & C are downloads of other user's presets that give me ideas.

I usually try to limit my main user presets to about 40-ish. This gives me a pretty broad range, but is manageable to work with, when I need to rest things, do firmware updates, try out speaker cab IRs, etc. I'm in a similar situation to yours, age-wise & playing out. I haven't found a need to have much more than that. even most of those could probably be cut in half, if I wanted - I mainly like to have a few extras in my back pocket, of those days when nothing seems to feel right, or room acoustic are drag.

I second the Cooper Carter classes. Also look for posts by forum members Scott Peterson, Fremen, yek, AlGrenadine, simeon, Danny Danzi, iaresee, Chirs@AxeFxTutorials or Katsukurimedia.com, of course FractalAudio & Admin M@. A couple more folks who consistently post useful information are on the tip of my tongue, but escape me at the moment. A search for current or old posts by any of these folks could teach you a lot.

The wiki, JMA's "Amp & Cab Quick Reference "and "FAS Amps Models Gallery & More...", "Yek's guide to the FA Amp Models" are invaluable. I refer to these over and over - can't get enough of these.

Don't be frustrated. What seems difficult today, will be second-nature after you've played with it a bit more.

When I try a new amp or pedal/effect, I check out a myriad of YouTube videos of the device, to see what the range of capabilities are. Sometimes the way it's set up in another user's preset wouldn't work for me, but a different setting might be perfect.

Check out the "Axe-Fx Recordings" section, and comments. A lot can be gleaned there.

Lots of good info. Will check it all out. Thanks!!

Yeah I do the very same thing. I move all the factory presets to the last three banks and then start my own patchs in Bank A slot 1. I don't use scenes, still and old school pedal dancers of sorts. So on my MFC I have the bottom 5 IA switches set up for presets and the rest are there turn on and off effects.

And I like to go left to right so I don't forget where something is. So for me it's always, IA 1, is clean. IA 2, is low break up mostly a vox type amp. IA 3 is my main rhythm right now loving the JCM 800 mod with the good old 4x12 tv mix. IA 4, is a heavy amp in my case 5150 Red but that could change, and in slot 5 I tend to have an acoustic tone match preset. Then I do the same thing on the next two banks so I have 15 patches that is use for any gig. So the amps from IA 6 through 15 are not the same exact amps but they are similar in nature if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom