Fractal IRs

I also have not had satisfying results from mixing ir's , although pretty much all my patches use mixed ir's either via AOM or mixed in the stereo block of the Ax Fx. Not to say I'm not happy with my results, I am, but I Know they can be better with proper ir's! I allways used a particular speaker with all my real amps (never had to mix them) , and would love to achieve that with my ax patches without having to mix ! I know it will get there soon,and I'm anxious to have that capability. I see the focus turning toward ir development and this will complete the chain! The Amps are there!!

Not sure I get this one completely.

That was a point I was trying to make on TGP. When you contradicted that, I now thought the TM without a shooting a CAB IR was just as good, when trying to match an amp.

I get the point of the IR's being key though. The amp modeling is definitely too close to call for me and the IR's are not as easy to grab and dial up as the amp block is.

Richard

You're reading too much into it. If you shoot the IR, then you have that IR to mix and match with other amps. If you just Tone Match then you have the Kemper problem where the amp and cabinet response are all rolled into one.

You're reading too much into it. If you shoot the IR, then you have that IR to mix and match with other amps. If you just Tone Match then you have the Kemper problem where the amp and cabinet response are all rolled into one.

Oh okay.

I got the versatility of having them separate as an advantage from the old vs. threads.

I was confused about the accuracy of the match vs. the versatility of the separation.

Thanks,
Richard

I would love to see a feature that, when "switched on", would automatically select the IR for the CAB Block when selecting an AMP Block, based on a Fractal recommendation. I believe this would make for a better "user experience", especially when dealing with a complex subject like selecting IRs.

This might be a good feature for AxeEdit? To create a "simple preset", where you pick an amp, and it places an amp block and cab block in the grid, tweaked out by FAS.

This would be a great way to audition the AxeFx with amps that the user might not be as familiar with.

Richard

I have long stated that it would be best to have both "baked in" & non "baked in" amp/cab options in the same unit:

1)Have all included amps modeled/matched/profiled with their most logical, best sounding cab baked in.
2)Have all included amps modeled/matched without taking the cab into consideration at all(like it is currently done).
3)Include all the logical types & sizes of cab IRs that have been professionally captured by Fractal, so users can mix n match as they please.

What's the problem?lol

I think the reason community based IR's hasn't taken off is because it's really quite hard to get a great sounding IR without the expensive preamps and mics, not to mention the space and knowledge. IMO what we need is the producers with the golden ears and gear gallore to make IRs.

I think what OH is doing is great, and will be useful to many. And it sounds like what Cliff is planning is great and will be useful to many. Onward and upward!

True, but in some cases that is the advantage of kemper. Less "tweaking" oriented guys, get a cab that pretty much works with that amp from the get go. If you guys have killer IRs paired with the corresponding amps by "default" that would kill. Heck on the AE end, if you could sort the pull down, for cabs putting the default at the top, and some other appropriate cabs right behind them. The power users are always going to dive deep under the hood and that is certainly the strong suit of the Axe. However newbies can become overwhelmed. I know because I have been there. I am finally sort of "getting it" a year and a half later. Or at least I think so. Won't know for sure until the new AE hits as I sort of put tweaking on hold.

I posted a feature request a while back that I though would be cool. For those times when you are mixing and matching cabs and amps. If there was a way to set all the resonance stuff in the amp block automagically, that would help. Instead of having to try and look up the curves for the speakers being used. A simple button that says match cab. . .AE checks to see what IR is connected to that amp and VIOLA! sets that stuff appropriately.

You guys have the tweakmeisters and deep divers hook line and sinker. Making the Axe more brain dead simple for the rest of us and you win.

You guys made great strides in the lst few months and I think once I actually start using the Axe more with AE I just may buy a second one.

True, but in some cases that is the advantage of kemper. Less "tweaking" oriented guys, get a cab that pretty much works with that amp from the get go. If you guys have killer IRs paired with the corresponding amps by "default" that would kill. Heck on the AE end, if you could sort the pull down, for cabs putting the default at the top, and some other appropriate cabs right behind them. The power users are always going to dive deep under the hood and that is certainly the strong suit of the Axe. However newbies can become overwhelmed. I know because I have been there. I am finally sort of "getting it" a year and a half later. Or at least I think so. Won't know for sure until the new AE hits as I sort of put tweaking on hold.

I posted a feature request a while back that I though would be cool. For those times when you are mixing and matching cabs and amps. If there was a way to set all the resonance stuff in the amp block automagically, that would help. Instead of having to try and look up the curves for the speakers being used. A simple button that says match cab. . .AE checks to see what IR is connected to that amp and VIOLA! sets that stuff appropriately.

You guys have the tweakmeisters and deep divers hook line and sinker. Making the Axe more brain dead simple for the rest of us and you win.

You guys made great strides in the lst few months and I think once I actually start using the Axe more with AE I just may buy a second one.

+1000

Everything Fractal can do to make it brain dead simple to get great tones would payoff big time in my opinion. Some of the things you mention would help a lot IMO.

The main issue with any kind of preset, whetehr baked in or not, is that every user is still different, with different pickups, guitar, not counting fingers.

I have a variety of guitars available, and most presets sound bad with all of them. But one of my ESPs is getting stellar result with the JCM 800 presets. My preset is very likely to sound bad for you and vice versa. The only alternative is totally neutering the guitar signal so everybody inputs the same in the axe, which wouldn't make anyone happy I guess.
I have downloaded some presets that were praised by the community here and was "Eewwwww".

People please make more presets with M6 Lundgren in alder bodies tuned to B :D

I agree with Cliff about not adding too much colour with "warm" or "bright" eq to the ir. What I do would like to see is more of the timbre options.

The "1x12 open" is my favourite cab for cleansounds because of the open and more breathing quality to it.

Maybe a new option to select mic placement is something to concider as an improvement to the ir-section?

For instance I love the sm57 placed somewhere between the middle and edge of the cone.

But when I select the sm57 from the list it's too bright for me.

If the placement can be corrected by eq then this is no problem, but if placement could be modeled and acts as a filter

then this could be an option. Maybe the best result would be to capture the ir's from all the positions but that sounds like alot of work.

I'll just capture my vox ad120vt w/v30's and post in axe-change in the meantime, when I get home from the beautiful north of Norway, where

fistfighting polarbears on a daily basis is crusial for survival, lol.

True, but in some cases that is the advantage of kemper. Less "tweaking" oriented guys, get a cab that pretty much works with that amp from the get go. If you guys have killer IRs paired with the corresponding amps by "default" that would kill. .

I agree! The options available are awesome! But a solid amp cab combination to select for times there's not enough time for tweaking it out would be great! I find myself ,quite often pretty frustrated with the amount of time i spend at tweaking for a perfect amp cab combo! Sometimes I enjoy it!

I agree with Cliff about not adding too much colour with "warm" or "bright" eq to the ir. What I do would like to see is more of the timbre options.

The "1x12 open" is my favourite cab for cleansounds because of the open and more breathing quality to it.

Maybe a new option to select mic placement is something to concider as an improvement to the ir-section?

For instance I love the sm57 placed somewhere between the middle and edge of the cone.

But when I select the sm57 from the list it's too bright for me.

If the placement can be corrected by eq then this is no problem, but if placement could be modeled and acts as a filter

then this could be an option. .
+1 I agree!

A quick reference chart with different resonance curves of different makes of speakers sounds like it would be helpful if that parameter is integral to making the IRs sing. I would do it but am not sure where to start. Also, does resonance change based on the enclosure (I.e. Celestion v30 in closed back vs. open back)?

A quick reference chart with different resonance curves of different makes of speakers sounds like it would be helpful if that parameter is integral to making the IRs sing. I would do it but am not sure where to start. Also, does resonance change based on the enclosure (I.e. Celestion v30 in closed back vs. open back)?

A chart would be cool but I bet a small fraction of axe users ever visit the forum or would know about the chart. If AE can keep that database and just access it accoridingly. . .VIOLA. Not sure that would work for onboard tweaking but again the tweakmeisters understand all that mumbo jumbo.

Honestly, this is nit-picking. The difference between speakers is so minute in comparison to the IR itself. The default values for the models are more than adequate.

The main issue with any kind of preset, whetehr baked in or not, is that every user is still different, with different pickups, guitar, not counting fingers.

I have a variety of guitars available, and most presets sound bad with all of them. But one of my ESPs is getting stellar result with the JCM 800 presets. My preset is very likely to sound bad for you and vice versa. The only alternative is totally neutering the guitar signal so everybody inputs the same in the axe, which wouldn't make anyone happy I guess.
I have downloaded some presets that were praised by the community here and was "Eewwwww".

People please make more presets with M6 Lundgren in alder bodies tuned to B :D

I agree. However I have had every POD ever made, an Ultra a II and a Kemper. By far the "presets" on the Kemper were most usable out of the box. Sure we all have different gutars etc. However on the kemper there are profiles that guys dialed in on a 335 that sound fine on a strat and tele profiles that sound great on a gretsch. I don't think they did any rocket science. People naturally profile an amp with an appropriate cab, and the amp close to some sort of "sweet spot". The Axe has grown the "sweet spot" greatly in the past several months.

I think Fractal can easily make the Axe more accessible to non tweakmeisters, but Kemper would have a harder time making the Kemper appeal to the guys that love getting "under the hood".

Again if Fractal does that. They win.

Jeez, "baked in presets"? Most of the people that want these easy-bake presets just want a JCM 800 into a 4x12 anyway. Its two blocks, just do it yourself. Not to mention that getting your "perfect" sound from a preset made by someone else, on a different guitar, with different hands, is practically impossible. Ill admit that when I first got my axe2 during V3 I wasnt sure about it, but since V5 I knew that this thing was in a league of its own. And now with V9 it should be pretty simple for guys with almost no experience to dial in a very, very usable tone.

In a way, I'm glad the sounds I want are nowhere I've heard. And the reason why I've stuck with the Ultra 4*12. It seems to me the most neutral. That's without a mic. Curious to hear more 'neutral' IRs.

On virtual mic placement: don't Proximity and Mic Spacing cover this?

Hmm, I thought I had read a post from Cliff that stated that one of the things that made the IR and the amp respond the best together was to adjust the speaker resonance in the amp section to match the speaker type. Perhaps someone else wrote and I mistakenly attributed to Cliff. Certainly don't want to undertake an exercise in futility....lord knows I have plenty of this as it is!

Honestly, this is nit-picking. The difference between speakers is so minute in comparison to the IR itself. The default values for the models are more than adequate.

Back
Top Bottom