Fractal IRs

Is there room for many new IR`s.
Like how many?
We got 70..ish now,and 50 User Ir`s

well since IR's are only like what 12kb? I think Fractal can put a poop load of them in our Axe Fx II's :)

OwnHammer and Redires have the IR territory pretty well covered, IMHO. But nobody but Fractal can work on getting the drive pedals to sound their best. If you could work on getting them as close to dead-on as the amp models are, that would be my preference.
well... Cliff is pretty much one of the few people who managed to get digital modelling right, so I'm pretty sure he'll be able to do the same when it comes to capturing and providing IRs.

FWIW, I don't subscribe to "flavored" IRs (i.e. Warm or Fat or whatever). I do like the idea of using different preamps to capture the coloration of those preamps but I don't feel any additional EQ should be applied.

I don't really mind further eqing of the IR signal chain as long as its not heavy handed. If you think about it, using different mic pres and mics/positioning is EQing the signal differently anyway. Why take an EQ/ more iron out of the equation? :)

I don't really mind further eqing of the IR signal chain as long as its not heavy handed. If you think about it, using different mic pres and mics/positioning is EQing the signal differently anyway. Why take an EQ/ more iron out of the equation? :)
I guess that's where personal taste comes in. some like their cabs more bassy, scooped, mid heavy, bright...whichever way you can think of. to please many users would be impossible. much easier to have the IR as natural and unprocessed to begin with and then tweak to taste in the Axe. at least that's how I'd treat it...

well... Cliff is pretty much one of the few people who managed to get digital modelling right, so I'm pretty sure he'll be able to do the same when it comes to capturing and providing IRs.

No argument about his capability, just that other people are already doing good things in the IR space, too, but nobody can compete (literally) with Cliff's team when it comes to making the overdrive pedals their best.

No argument about his capability, just that other people are already doing good things in the IR space, too, but nobody can compete (literally) with Cliff's team when it comes to making the overdrive pedals their best.

You've been asked...let it go and post in 'wish list.'

Last warning... please keep this thread on-topic.

One of my primary goals for next year is to build up a library of pro-quality IRs. We are reserving studio time to capture as many cabs as we can. This will include classic amps (i.e Fender Champ) as well as separate cabinets.

I can't overemphasize the importance of IRs. The amp modeling is down to the point that it is so close to the real amps that it doesn't matter anymore. It's all about the IR.

The Axe-Fx II was designed with a lot of extra storage space for factory IRs and I would like to take advantage of that soon.

You mean it gets even better? I am all grins of late - The hard work since 8.xx is very very noticeable with 9.xx - Yes - I agree that we have arrived at a modeling realism level that I am going to add my nod to as being totally acceptable - (I'm sure that you will make it even better, but I am smiling a lot now-a-days when it comes to my core tones - I am really glad to hear that you are broadening your focus to the other variables beyond just the modeling. If you do to the IRs what you have done to our models - I am going to be stoked - SPEAKER REACTION TO AMP (and even vice-verse) is a nice target here beyond just getting the IR right. (If this is even possible in the digi/modeled realm)

Excited for what is coming to our pallet - THX!

Last edited:
Though the Redwire and OH ir's are good I don't think they are matched to the ax so much, they seem to be made more for the convolution and DAW applications that have longer samples and probably work well for that (couldn't say i've never tried it)and just seem to be missing the mark a little in the Ax Fx! A comment was made earlier in the thread about the matches Cliff has made being so accurate,and I agree! Plus the comment of the importance of shooting the speaker ir (that particular amp uses) before matching, being a major factor in accuracy! What I would love to see or get my hands on are the matching ir's to the models that bring them to that point of accuracy! I don't feel the ir's available do that! So I am Very much looking forward to this development!!

Last edited:
What I would love to see or get my hands on are the matching ir's to the models that bring them to that point of accuracy!
Direct from the horse's mouth...

One of my primary goals for next year is to build up a library of pro-quality IRs. We are reserving studio time to capture as many cabs as we can. This will include classic amps (i.e Fender Champ) as well as separate cabinets.

Though the Redwire and OH ir's are good I don't think they are matched to the ax so much, they seem to be made more for the convolution and DAW applications that have longer samples and probably work well for that (couldn't say i've never tried it)and just seem to be missing the mark a little in the Ax Fx! A comment was made earlier in the thread about the matches Cliff has made being so accurate,and I agree! Plus the comment of the importance of shooting the amps ir before matching, being a major factor in accuracy! What I would love to see or get my hands on are the matching ir's to the models that bring them to that point of accuracy! I don't feel the ir's available do that! So I am Very much looking forward to this development!!

Interesting point. The longer the IR the more room. That would mean as long as they do not make versions taylored for the Axe-Fx II there is still room for improvements? Or would the way to capture the IRs be the same anyway and no matter for what length?

Plus the comment of the importance of shooting the amps ir before matching, being a major factor in accuracy!

No, what I said was shooting the cabinet IR being a major factor. Then the Tone Match block is just "cleaning up" any differences.

Is there room for many new IR`s.
Like how many?
We got 70..ish now,and 50 User Ir`s

I bet the new IRs will reside in the factory section (added via a firmware upgrade). I still think 50 slots for user IRs is a lot since we have the audition capability. Personally, I only use a handful. Others may need more.

I would love to see a feature that, when "switched on", would automatically select the IR for the CAB Block when selecting an AMP Block, based on a Fractal recommendation. I believe this would make for a better "user experience", especially when dealing with a complex subject like selecting IRs.

No, what I said was shooting the cabinet IR being a major factor. Then the Tone Match block is just "cleaning up" any differences.
Yes , My appologies, That's what I meant to say I worded it wrong! I will edit that if I can!

Not sure I get this one completely.

That was a point I was trying to make on TGP. When you contradicted that, I now thought the TM without a shooting a CAB IR was just as good, when trying to match an amp.

I get the point of the IR's being key though. The amp modeling is definitely too close to call for me and the IR's are not as easy to grab and dial up as the amp block is.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom