Fractal FRFR

Art Coscarelli

I was wondering if Fractal is or has any desire to develop an FRFR Cabinet that is matched to the Fractal products as Line 6 has done with their Powercabs? I would be more apt to buy a cabinet from Fractal that is matched to their products.

I was wondering if Fractal is or has any desire to develop an FRFR Cabinet that is matched to the Fractal products as Line 6 has done with their Powercabs? I would be more apt to buy a cabinet from Fractal that is matched to their products.
I can’t speak for the company, but I would guess that since the goal is to be the most accurate possible, they won’t want a cabinet with a “sound” that matches their modeling “sound” because they want each model to have its own thing.

Just my thoughts

The whole speaker/speaker in a box market is saturated to the max. Getting your foot in, with something actually good, takes way more effort and money than you would like

If anyone has the money, resources and knowledge to make that speaker, it’ll probably be Celestion to make a TRUE (or as close as possible)

Full Range Flat Response speaker

There are a ton of manufacturers out there making FRFR speakers. Like I said, anything that gets as close to a flatline as possible is all you need. Doesn't have to be Celestion or anyone else. JBL, Yamaha, Adams, CLR... They all make FRFR speakers and they all sound very close to each other. That's the whole idea behind an FRFR

FRFR>>> FULL RANGE FLAT RESPONSE
The name says it all. As opposed to say regular stereo speakers that are going to sound wildly different between one brand or one model and another an FRFR should technically sound the same from one to another. From my experience they're pretty close when you get to those levels.

You would ‘think’ all FRFR’s (full range, flat response) sound about the same... but, they’re not. The speaker AND the cabinet will affect the sound. I use a pair of Atomic CLR’s... and I would suggest research what’s out there to suit your budget.. and choose wisely.

I would agree... Fractal doesn’t need to make a FRFR... it makes no sense for them.

I agree with 2/3 of the above post, the part about fractal not needing to make one, and the part about finding the best thing that suits your budget. Technically if the reference is full range flat response, they should all sound similar, if they can achieve flat response, but the differences will be coloration at certain frequencies and off course how well the speaker reacts to the amount of power that it gets.

But I know from owning several different pairs of FRFR's that are very close to FRFR technically, they are and should sound similar It's not like taking a 4 x12 Marshall cab versus a 4 x12 Mesa cab, which are going to sound wildly different... They should technically sound much closer than that.

That's not to say that they're going to sound identical throughout the entire power band. And something with a 3" woofer versus an 8" woofer isn't going to perform the same at higher power, most of the time, when we're talking about speakers that are worth a few hundred dollars each. So when you compare for example, a pair of Yamaha HS5 versus pair of JBL 305, which use the same size drivers and are roughly the same size cabs, you will find that they're quite similar, because they're supposed to adhere to a standard, which is FRFR.

I agree with 2/3 of the above post, the part about fractal not needing to make one, and the part about finding the best thing that suits your budget. Technically if the reference is full range flat response, they should all sound similar, if they can achieve flat response, but the differences will be coloration at certain frequencies and off course how well the speaker reacts to the amount of power that it gets.

But I know from owning several different pairs of FRFR's that are very close to FRFR technically, they are and should sound similar It's not like taking a 4 x12 Marshall cab versus a 4 x12 Mesa cab, which are going to sound wildly different... They should technically sound much closer than that.
I'm not sure what FRFR you had but there are many so-called "FRFR" that aren't all that flat.

FRFR is a theorical thing. Even the flattest are not flat.

I think that's where your "if they can achieve flat response" falls down. They can't... Some get closer than others, but they all have different frequency response curves.

I said "similar", not identical, and I'm aware that they can't get a perfect FRFR.. but maybe you want to have a look at the actual frequency response curves on some of these units and see for yourself. I've already done that in my extensive research... Both from a visual and audible perspective. You might be surprised at how close some of them actually are to each other

Theyre just not all equal. The CLR has almost zero beaminess, and the highs are pleasant and accurate. No tweeter harshness. The Redsound is VERY close. Everything else is just 2nd tier. I have NOT had a Meyer to A/B live in a room, ut virtually everything else lost in a shoot out with me and my other buddies who own modelers. It was very obvious the CLR was the best one. As soon as something beats it, Ill buy 2x!

I said "similar", not identical, and I'm aware that they can't get a perfect FRFR.. but maybe you want to have a look at the actual frequency response curves on some of these units and see for yourself. I've already done that in my extensive research... Both from a visual and audible perspective. You might be surprised at how close some of them actually are to each other
Yes... But above you said "all" not "some".

they should all sound similar,

Of course I agree that the best will sound similar because they are closest to flat.

My point was really that just because something is labeled FRFR doesn't mean it really is.

Back
Top Bottom