Fractal FRFR

I can now confirm that the Meyer MJF-210 is the greatest speaker I have ever heard. I didnt think it possible that ANYTHING could beat an Atomic CLR, but I was wrong. I can play slap bass as loud as I can stand through them, crystal clear, no distortion, no buckling. Guitar hits you in the chest like a full stack, heck, 2 full stacks (I have 2 of the mjf210s). I wouldnt care if they weighed 300lbs and costed $20k, if I knew these were this incredible, I would've started saving 10 years ago.

Now, for the money, and the weight, CLR mkii is still the king, close 2nd the Redsounds. Ill be parting with my mint clrs w/ studio slips here shortly 😅
I’ve got monitor envy.

I can now confirm that the Meyer MJF-210 is the greatest speaker I have ever heard. I didnt think it possible that ANYTHING could beat an Atomic CLR, but I was wrong. I can play slap bass as loud as I can stand through them, crystal clear, no distortion, no buckling. Guitar hits you in the chest like a full stack, heck, 2 full stacks (I have 2 of the mjf210s). I wouldnt care if they weighed 300lbs and costed $20k, if I knew these were this incredible, I would've started saving 10 years ago.

Now, for the money, and the weight, CLR mkii is still the king, close 2nd the Redsounds. Ill be parting with my mint clrs w/ studio slips here shortly 😅
Everything I click on for these are either used or call for price…..how much are they?

I’d love to hear them. Played a large venue a few weeks ago with all L Acoustics line array and monitors. They killed the CLRs as well. Best sounding monitors I’ve played through or heard so far. $4500 ea. not powered.

When I look for an FRFR, and I suggest anyone else looking do the same, I look at the frequency response chart. I look for something as close to flat as possible.

When I settled on my HS8's, I looked at this and it's what ultimately persuaded me to go in that direction. I've never looked back.

This is pretty damn close to a flat frequency response. Of course you can argue if you want that there are some dips or spikes, but this is to be expected. This gets pretty close to the mark and anything else displaying a similar graph will sound pretty close to this.
They can appear as flat as they are in the graphs but I own the HS8’s and the crossover network isn’t thrilling. I’m not happy with mine. The upper mids are very phasy, and that’s after room correction.

Frequency response charts of FRFR are only half the story.

What are the room frequency resonances and cancelations of the room you are placing them in?

You can have the flattest, most accurate monitor in the world, but if you are listening to it in a room with a bunch of resonances and notches, then you are not going to perceive the monitor as either pleasant or accurate.

Another factor is, what is the state of your hearing? When was the last time you were tested by an audiologist? If you have known notches in your hearing, then coupling that with room anomalies and you will have a very colored experience with any monitoring and the resulting tones that you dial in.
There is so much wisdom in there, brother.

Post of the Day Award.

Can I come over if you do?
(Boston area too...)

Who has them?
Parsons? Seems like their sort of item.
You bet!
I'm going to ask some sound companies.
Marathon and RPM are guys I see frequently. Going to see who has one.
Parson's is possible. I took classes there years ago and was surprised that (at the time) they didn't have much physical inventory.

Topic swerve - I took engineering classes at Parson's with Dave Moulton (designer of the B&O Beolab 5). I would LOVE to hear my Axe through those. Oh my god they were incredible. I remember listening to Killing In The Name of on Dave's system and it felt like I was in the room with RATM.

You bet!
I'm going to ask some sound companies.
Marathon and RPM are guys I see frequently. Going to see who has one.
Parson's is possible. I took classes there years ago and was surprised that (at the time) they didn't have much physical inventory.

Topic swerve - I took engineering classes at Parson's with Dave Moulton (designer of the B&O Beolab 5). I would LOVE to hear my Axe through those. Oh my god they were incredible. I remember listening to Killing In The Name of on Dave's system and it felt like I was in the room with RATM.
Thinking about it, I'm not sure I should actually hear them. Dangerous! I'm kinda low rent relative to some of our brethren... Hit me up if it's happening though :)

Rather than FRFR, I would love it if Fractal made a solid state power amp for use with guitar cabs. Bit of a gap currently, what with Matrix on hold and Cliff not liking the SD Powerstages.

Dont tell people their hearing is bad. They lose their minds lol. I personally was tested 2 years ago when I got my iem molds, full battery, and apparently I have the ears of a teenager still, thank god 😂
LOL, that's for sure!! And you're a lucky fella indeed on the hearing, take good care of em! I was a fool like most of us were in the 80s and 90s metal scene, gigging at astronomical volumes, no hearing protection. I've had moderate tinnitus so long I only notice it when I remember I have it, and then it roars until I forget again :p :mad: The regret is real, but the memories are priceless. ;)

They can appear as flat as they are in the graphs but I own the HS8’s and the crossover network isn’t thrilling. I’m not happy with mine. The upper mids are very phasy, and that’s after room correction.
I've always been able to dial correction in or out with EQ

Rather than focusing on hardware, most would do better to focus on the acoustic treatment of their listening room.
What we are trying to do is very similar to the work of a mastering engineer. The best speakers for this already exist outside of the very limited market of FRFRs forecasted to modelers. Check out Focal, Genelec, ATC, etc.
Most of those who are surprised not to find their sound in a live situation are probably those for whom acoustics were not taken into account in their listening chain.
In the same way that a bad master won't sound good in every listening conditions, a preset that was badly calibrated because it wad badly heard cannot work elsewhere than in the room where it was conceived.

Rather than asking for a new pair of speakers, we would do better to ask Fractal to propose a calibration system that uses a measuring microphone in the same spirit as what IK Multimedia proposes with their ARC.
The Axe FX already has everything it takes to offer a convincing solution from this point of view.
It could make life easier for those who don't want to worry about the acoustic treatment of their room.

Back
Top Bottom