Fractal FRFR

When I settled on my HS8's, I looked at this and it's what ultimately persuaded me to go in that direction. I've never looked back.
Are you considering the HS8 as FRFR? As they are reference monitors I don't think they are typically what people think of as FRFR. Nobody's taking those to a gig :)

I agree they appear to be very flat!

When I look for an FRFR, and I suggest anyone else looking do the same, I look at the frequency response chart. I look for something as close to flat as possible.

When I settled on my HS8's, I looked at this and it's what ultimately persuaded me to go in that direction. I've never looked back.

This is pretty damn close to a flat frequency response. Of course you can argue if you want that there are some dips or spikes, but this is to be expected. This gets pretty close to the mark and anything else displaying a similar graph will sound pretty close to this.

A while back I was helping (I'm blanking on his name, but he was a regular here, was a software guru....but he passed away). He was creating IR files that would 'flatten' an FRFR speaker. I tested a bunch for him because I had a lot of FRFR speakers at my house.
Blowing pink noise through a speaker and making it 'flat' is a fine way to make speakers sound less like crap.
But even though they were all theoretically flat - they sounded and felt very different.

I have a xitone and CLR. Prefer the CLR, though the xitone is pretty good and works great as a backup.
Intrigued by the Redsound and EV offerings. Someday, if my CLR dies, I’ll venture into these.

Several years back a group of us (including @iaresee and @henryrobinett ) gathered in the Bay Area and among other things compared the same presets through a number of FRFR including passive and active Xitone wedges, Mission Gemini 2 passive, a Line6 cab (pre Power Cab), AccuGroove Latte passive (belonging to the bassist in my band) and an EV (not sure the model).

All the passive cabs were powered by Matrix amps.

AccuGroove and Xitone were most preferred, followed by Mission.

The other 2 were not really in the same league.
I auditioned a friend's Xitone M Britt cab. It was scary good in my room.

Same guitar and bass as well as Fractal custom preset & IR I tried the Atomic CLR in my room. Also very good.

I ended up buying the CLRs off my friend who had them listed for sale.

Why did I choose the CLR?

Versus the same preset with no cab driving the actual 4x12 I captured in the same room, the CLR sounded more clinically accurate to it.

The Xitone was very close but seemed to tame the upper mids slightly by comparison. It seemed a little shallow in the 40 to 60 Hz range.

All 3 were auditioned at 90 dB SPL with me standing 4 feet away from each cab. All cabs were on the floor, each swapped the same position in the room.

If I just had the Xitone with no CLR to compare to, I would have purchased and been happy with the Xitone.

I have a pair, use primarily as PA monitors and very happy in that use. I run individualized feeds to each monitor in addition to backline monitoring (original Atomic CLR's) on my side stage. It sounds very close to my ears whether I hear primarily the CLR or cross the stage to where my guitar is primarly thru the DHR112M. I'd have no problem just running thru them if the CLR ever fails. Full disclosure - main PA are Yamaha DSR112's/JTR Captivator 212 Pro subs so I like the overall "sound" of the Yamaha's. Certainly worth a listen IMO.

Well, tired of wondering so placed my order for a pair of mfj-210's just now. So Ill be able to offer an opinion on meyer vs atomic in about 12 to 16 weeks 👍

Also, a minty fresh pair of clr neos with clamshells MAY be available (assuming meyer wins the shootout) around that time as well if anyone is interested.

I can now confirm that the Meyer MJF-210 is the greatest speaker I have ever heard. I didnt think it possible that ANYTHING could beat an Atomic CLR, but I was wrong. I can play slap bass as loud as I can stand through them, crystal clear, no distortion, no buckling. Guitar hits you in the chest like a full stack, heck, 2 full stacks (I have 2 of the mjf210s). I wouldnt care if they weighed 300lbs and costed $20k, if I knew these were this incredible, I would've started saving 10 years ago.

Now, for the money, and the weight, CLR mkii is still the king, close 2nd the Redsounds. Ill be parting with my mint clrs w/ studio slips here shortly 😅

Back
Top Bottom