Fractal Audio latest Tweet ... 3.0 Right Around the Corner........

The orange recto has been my go to for crunch as well. I cant wait to hear what it does in V3! :)

Live, Orange V2 got a number of compliments. People going holy s**t! That's a modeler? Coming out of the PA?!!?

To which I respond:

Looks the real thing you just lugged in got heavier... and not in a good way ;)

I hope the Axe-Edit gets updated pretty soon too. That's the only way I tweak my patches and I wont be able to play with the new amp models without it.

Dialing-in the magic...literally!

You should really learn front panel editing. It can be nearly as fast as Axe-Edit if you learn your way around.

Hey DLM,

+1.

I totally agree! As cool as Axe-Edit is, I think everyone should force themselves to learn the "manual-method" of tweakery first - LOL!

Bill

I almost always use front panel. Always have. Axe-Edit locks up the Axe II once in a while and I have to power cycle it to clear it. I only really use Axe-Edit at the moment for saving and trying new presets and firmware updates. Typically all my editing is entirely front panel.

I almost always use front panel. Always have. Axe-Edit locks up the Axe II once in a while and I have to power cycle it to clear it. I only really use Axe-Edit at the moment for saving and trying new presets and firmware updates. Typically all my editing is entirely front panel.

Same here. I tried Axe Edit a few times and I just didn't find it necessary. Using the front panel is just as easy, if not more so. Plus you don't have to connect extra wires and wait for your computer to boot up (which is worse than waiting for a tube amp to warm up).

Since I have used both the editor and the front panel extensively, it is ludicrous to say the editor isn't worth using ... it saves a ton of time on many operations. The preset manager alone lets you move blocks of presets to different locations in a second. Yes, blocks. And I can see all the presets at one time.

So enough of the chest pumping stuff, use both, use neither, but the editor is a great tool.

I definitely think learning your way around is invaluable (like if you need to adjust an amp's gain live before a song or something), but I agree that I find axe-edit very useful. Especially for immediately selecting a specific preset rather than scrolling through the wheel. Hope I can afford an MFC soon lol

Never said Axe-Edit wasn't a great tool. I love Axe-Edit. I just don't need it to edit presets, and until it gets past whatever's causing it to lock up the connection between it and the Axe randomly, I prefer to use the front panel for editing.

Last edited:
Since I have used both the editor and the front panel extensively, it is ludicrous to say the editor isn't worth using ... it saves a ton of time on many operations. The preset manager alone lets you move blocks of presets to different locations in a second. Yes, blocks. And I can see all the presets at one time.

So enough of the chest pumping stuff, use both, use neither, but the editor is a great tool.

I agree that there some things that are certainly worth breaking out the editor for. I just think that for general editing/messing around, the front panel is intuitive and plenty easy to use.

I think a lot of it comes down to what your needs are. Currently, I only really use about three or four presets. I'm always tweaking stuff, but even so, it doesn't really make much sense for me to break out the editor for only a few presets.

Not if you use advanced params, those ar dumped in a list on most tabs on the front panel ... and laid out with knobs and sliders in the editor. Much better and easier on the editor, you can see them all at one time and how they related.

I am just commenting on the guys who insist using the editor is somehow less valid.

Rediculous. And I have zero problems with it. I have set up dozens of amps and effects both ways. Either way works, but the ditor is there for a reason. That reason is to make things easier. And that is why it should be used, and why it is a great tool.

No one said using the editor was less valid. What I said was, you should know how to do front panel editing as well. That's it.

What we are looking into is making the USB selectable. The ideal layout is 3x3 (2 wet, one dry) but that doesn't work on some programs under certain versions of Windows 7 (typical MS nonsense).

So we are working on making the USB switchable between 4x2, 3x3 and 4x4. If you don't mind the extra CPU penalty you can select 4x4. If you aren't using Logic with Windows 7 64-bit on a computer with a Logitech mouse and a north-facing exposure on the second Tuesday of each month then you can select 3x3. Of course the next MS Bloatware.... err Software Update could change all that.

But I don't want to delay Version 3.00 unnecessarily so we're going to stick with 4x2 for now.

Comments like this are unnecessary and unprofessional.

That's grossly judgmental. It seems to me an insight into the actual processes at work and informative.

OTOH, your comment seems rude and self serving. I have always liked your input and you've called me out many times when I stepped over the line, you here are over the line. You come off as a pompous know-it-all.

I'm just happy playing V2, am sure V3 will be nice and am excited but not to the point where I feel V2 doesnt do everything I need. It does, and then some ! The only shortcomings I have right now are my ability as a player ;)

Actually, (and also speaking as a computer technician), those kind of comments come from the majority of PC users (with windows)...
It's the price you pay for using windows and having a pc built from various different parts and suppliers, most of them providing shitty drivers which more than often cause incompatibilities wich in turn of course cause instability, poor performance etc.
You don't pay the big Apple price, but you are more than likely to have instability and performance problems with various applications and/or hardware.
So, I guess you could take a professional's comment (like Cliff's) as an "inside" joke, which also happens to be the truth...
I'm not trying to defend anyone, but it is what it is...

That's grossly judgmental. It seems to me an insight into the actual processes at work and informative.

OTOH, your comment seems rude and self serving. I have always liked your input and you've called me out many times when I stepped over the line, you here are over the line. You come off as a pompous know-it-all.
I used to work for Microsoft, and I'll admit that at times I got tired of all the slams against Windows--so I sympathize with hippietim. Having said that, years ago I moved to Macs at home and it has cut the amount of time I spend chasing computer problems for my family to almost zero.

Cliff has had to deal directly with the problems developing for the Win platforms and dealing with the arrogant culture at MS, so I'm sure he could have said a lot more if he had wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom