Fractal Audio Axe-FX II - 10.0 Beta Clip

Nice playing. The amp sounds pretty nice, but it still has quite the high-mids rasp going on that I don't hear on examples of the real Ecstasy recordings I hear. It's almost got too much sheen and polish on the upper mids, giving it a mildly plastic sound. It also just doesn't feel like it's moving as much air as a recorded amp. I'm sure it would mix alright, but I feel like a few layers of that sound and those frequencies would get overwhelming. Also, if it wasn't mixed in with drums and bass, my concern is it would pop out as a modeler pretty quickly. But that's just one dude's opinion.

Nice playing. The amp sounds pretty nice, but it still has quite the high-mids rasp going on that I don't hear on examples of the real Ecstasy recordings I hear. It's almost got too much sheen and polish on the upper mids, giving it a mildly plastic sound. It also just doesn't feel like it's moving as much air as a recorded amp. I'm sure it would mix alright, but I feel like a few layers of that sound and those frequencies would get overwhelming. Also, if it wasn't mixed in with drums and bass, my concern is it would pop out as a modeler pretty quickly. But that's just one dude's opinion.

The playing sucked. LOL. Did you listen to the FLAC or just the MP3?

I can't even start to say how impressed I am with this beta.

So I won't. (Hint: I am).

A little ride with my Bogner XTC Blue/Red preset from the 10.00 Beta on the Axe-FX II - Bogner XTC Blue and Red. Recorded direct via USB, no post processing. Everything raw from the AFXII. Guitar is my James Tyler USA Variax JTV59. Pickups are Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB.

The Clams are free. ;-) (Just keeping it real). LOL.

FLAC download available from Soundcloud - just click through. Play it LOUD!

Dang Scott.... that's some bad mama-jamma tone my friend! Can't wait for 10 release!

Yeah I stand by my comment. It sounds good but it still lacking oomph. I mean... this:

is what I think of when I hear amp crackle. And that's crappy compressed Youtube video. So I'm sorry to say it, but I'm colored unimpressed on this one.

Thanks for listening any way. FWIW, it wasn't done to 'impress' more than to just share. I don't believe I said or mentioned 'crackle' either. My clip is raw, off the cuff, one take and isn't produced, processed, mixed down and mastered ala the Bogner Amp clip. It also is not presented in any way as being authoritative nor definitive. I was just having some fun and shared a clip. Just sayin'. ;) :D

I have to say, the 10 clips sound amazing. There's this sense of realism that wasn't there. Lots of depth and complexity. So excited :)

Nice playing. The amp sounds pretty nice, but it still has quite the high-mids rasp going on that I don't hear on examples of the real Ecstasy recordings I hear. It's almost got too much sheen and polish on the upper mids, giving it a mildly plastic sound.

The character of the mids is what I've been struggling with. The Marshalls in the Axe work well because the real thing does have hard sounding mids. However, I haven't been able to dial in softer/more fluid amps such as the Ecstasy to have that "give" in the mids. Does this sound like the same thing you're talking about?

Listening to Scott's FLAC clip gives me the impression that firmware 10 may greatly improve this area. :D

It also just doesn't feel like it's moving as much air as a recorded amp.

I think that has more to do with the cab/miking/room/reverb. That Bogner video has a different cab and a lot more room sound than Scott's clip - maybe room mics or not very close miked...

real nice tone... thanks for posting that man... i watched a couple of your youtube videos tonight...they're good. keep em coming! cheers!

Yeah I stand by my comment. It sounds good but it still lacking oomph. I mean... this:

is what I think of when I hear amp crackle. And that's crappy compressed Youtube video. So I'm sorry to say it, but I'm colored unimpressed on this one.

I'm sure it would be much closer if Scott actually recorded his clip using the same setup as this YT video (mic, cable, pre-amp)... I'm also sure Scott could TM that YT clip and get it exact.

I'm sure it would be much closer if Scott actually recorded his clip using the same setup as this YT video (mic, cable, pre-amp)... I'm also sure Scott could TM that YT clip and get it exact.

Maybe, maybe not. I prefer my own tones rather than chasing others. Some people won't like what I do; that's fine. I'm not out to copy anything; I'm more about stewing up my own soup. :)

Maybe, maybe not. I prefer my own tones rather than chasing others. Some people won't like what I do; that's fine. I'm not out to copy anything; I'm more about stewing up my own soup. :)

That's something I never understood. I want to sound like me not them. if it's a Bogner Sim I use, I want it to be my take on it, not an exact copy.

For me at some point, I have to decide, if there are people that can dial in there own tones, and those are folks that I respect their ability to hear things, then I will be able to get to where I want to go to.

In other words, I trust the ears of folks like Cliff, Adam and Scott. If they can dial in there tones fairl easily, I will be able to get my beautiful noises too :)

Good golly, folks. I'm not trying to crap all over Scott here. I'm just not hearing the wow factor in this sound at all. I thought that the whole purpose of FW 10 was to make the modeled amps produce sound that was significantly closer to the way the amp sounds in real life. I thought that new IRs were being made to help close the gap between the amp/IR interaction and bring a better sound to the table for direct recording.

While this sound is an improvement, it's like the emph-as-is is on the wrong syl-a-ble with the way the amp breaks up, in my tiny nobody-knows-or-gives-one-poo-about-who-I-am opinion. Instead of a deep throaty sputter that comes with driven tubes and speakers in this amp, what I hear sounds like a hard drive from about 1,500-4,000 Hz and some chattering fizz on top of the entire signal - simulating breakup. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just don't hear what everybody else is freaking out about. I've heard other clips of v10 that sound more like the amps in question that the user was dialing.

It seems that when somebody points out that something doesn't quite jive with an actual amps sound, somebody is quick to point out that their setup is different or that the person is going for "their sound". I have a hard time believing this clip sounds altogether better than your recordings of a real amp and cab mic'ed up - if so, post them up so we can hear how superior it is. If the whole point of this modeler is to get things to sound legitimate, than people should be more embracing of criticism. Otherwise FAS would have stopped somewhere around FW 4-5 and we'd all be wading in the horror that was insanely loud high mids, flubby lows, and ridiculously melt-your-face highs.

Of course, it's all just rock-n-roll right? So maybe we all just need to chill, myself included. I'll go crawl back into my hole to hide from the oncoming rotten fruit and eggs about to be thrown at me.

I'm not critical of what your like / don't like of Scott's post are... horses for courses... its definitely all good.

But how can you A/B what Scott did with another clip and call one lacking etc.? Without knowlege of the speakers, mics, preamps, post processing and all that its just an odd comparison to me.

And it doesn't preclude, to me, that you can dial in the same tone as that video you posted, using the AxeFx II. I would say you could come pretty close to that vid with same recording chain.

Richard

Good golly, folks. I'm not trying to crap all over Scott here. I'm just not hearing the wow factor in this sound at all. I thought that the whole purpose of FW 10 was to make the modeled amps produce sound that was significantly closer to the way the amp sounds in real life. I thought that new IRs were being made to help close the gap between the amp/IR interaction and bring a better sound to the table for direct recording.

While this sound is an improvement, it's like the emph-as-is is on the wrong syl-a-ble with the way the amp breaks up, in my tiny nobody-knows-or-gives-one-poo-about-who-I-am opinion. Instead of a deep throaty sputter that comes with driven tubes and speakers in this amp, what I hear sounds like a hard drive from about 1,500-4,000 Hz and some chattering fizz on top of the entire signal - simulating breakup. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just don't hear what everybody else is freaking out about. I've heard other clips of v10 that sound more like the amps in question that the user was dialing.

It seems that when somebody points out that something doesn't quite jive with an actual amps sound, somebody is quick to point out that their setup is different or that the person is going for "their sound". I have a hard time believing this clip sounds altogether better than your recordings of a real amp and cab mic'ed up - if so, post them up so we can hear how superior it is. If the whole point of this modeler is to get things to sound legitimate, than people should be more embracing of criticism. Otherwise FAS would have stopped somewhere around FW 4-5 and we'd all be wading in the horror that was insanely loud high mids, flubby lows, and ridiculously melt-your-face highs.

Of course, it's all just rock-n-roll right? So maybe we all just need to chill, myself included. I'll go crawl back into my hole to hide from the oncoming rotten fruit and eggs about to be thrown at me.
Here....listen to this stuff from Pete Thorn. Don't miss the wav file at the bottom:

Making some presets for the Axechange..... here's a little preview!

Here's an audio clip of my BE100 tone match- which is the real amp?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85830235/BE100 match.wav

Well, according to Scott:

The XTC in the Axe-FX II v.10 is better head-to-head versus my reference recordings of me on my own Ecstasy Classic that I use a reference check. No BS.

Listen to the FLAC download and note that it perhaps offers only a slight hint at how it feels and sounds in the room

Perhaps I misunderstood the statement he was making, but it seems he feels that the clip is representative of the Axe-fx's superiority (that being a subjective term) to the original amplifier, or at least his recordings of said amp. Or, Scott, do you mean solely when you're driving the Axe-fx through a power amp and cab?

Again, I love my Axe-fx II and consider it the best investment I could have made for my recording life. I just don't always jump on the band wagon that there isn't a little too much hyping with these FW updates.

Here's an audio clip of my BE100 tone match- which is the real amp?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85830235/BE100 match.wav[/QUOTE]

Shooting from the hip, I'd say that the first was the Axe-fx II, and the second was the amp. I think, however, in a mix, it wouldn't mean a damn thing. I think you did a really great job with the tone match. And I think it sounds loads better than the original clip in this thread. I also think Cliff's clips sound pretty damn good. Mark Day's sounds closer to authenticity as well. Not trying to be a hater here at all. I just don't think this particular clip sounds very nice or as chewy/crunchy/thick/dynamic as people have indicated. FWIW I've loved some of Scott's other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom