Fractal Audio AMP Models: Revv (based on Revv Generator 120)

To me the clean channel of an amp if really really important. Even if I play a lot in distortion, in all my own songs or the one I play, there is a clean tone part somewhere.

I never bough an amp with a bad clean, it’s a deal breaker immediately. because for many years I was using external distortion pedals on tube amp. (Until I finally found a amp with a real clean and good dist : the JP2c)

Some amps like the mark series for example didn’t take distortion fx pedals well.

The clean channel in the rectifier take very well the metal distortion pedal .

Some clean are glassy, some are deep and warm, some are a joke like the 5150😅.

Yes I love playing in clean tone, that’s beautiful. Specially with fender guitars.

when you plug yourself in a real fender bassman with single coils, that’s … well. ♥️
Very much agree with this. One of the best clean channels ever produced was in the Trem-o-verb. Even though we have Dual Rectifier options, and that for years comments have been posted stating a Trem-o-verb is just a Dual Rec with a minor differences that can be replicated, nothing really nails it, especially when stacking overdrives. Obviously not a deal breaker for those of us who love the Axe, but does shed light on why many folks would like to see these model specific clean channels. Or, who knows, maybe I just happened to own a one in a million unicorn Trem-o-verb whose intolerances magically congealed into sonic nirvana, and it could never be replicated.

To me the clean channel of an amp if really really important. Even if I play a lot in distortion, in all my own songs or the one I play, there is a clean tone part somewhere.

I never bough an amp with a bad clean, it’s a deal breaker immediately. because for many years I was using external distortion pedals on tube amp. (Until I finally found a amp with a real clean and good dist : the JP2c)

Some amps like the mark series for example didn’t take distortion fx pedals well.

The clean channel in the rectifier take very well the metal distortion pedal .

Some clean are glassy, some are deep and warm, some are a joke like the 5150😅.

Yes I love playing in clean tone, that’s beautiful. Specially with fender guitars.

when you plug yourself in a real fender bassman with single coils, that’s … well. ♥️

I agree cleans are very important, but I'm curious:

In the real world you have to consider it. Unless you wantch to haul two amps and am amp switcher around you need to find one amp that has a working clean and gain channel (or a clean that takes pedals like you said). But on the Axe you can mix and match heads without carrying extra weight. So in the context of the Axe is the clean channel of a modelled amp as important?

In the real world you have to consider it. Unless you wantch to haul two amps and am amp switcher around you need to find one amp that has a working clean and gain channel (or a clean that takes pedals like you said). But on the Axe you can mix and match heads without carrying extra weight. So in the context of the Axe is the clean channel of a modelled amp as important?
Sure, they are already many cleans in the unit. This is not as important

It definitely isn't and to be fair, one of the tailored for cleans models is generally going to sound superior to the clean channel of most high gain amps. A lot of high gain amps compromise on cleans, low gain tones etc to make their high gain tones and response excellent.

The way I see it, there's two approaches:

1. Add "redundant" channels so you have the full amp. Even if that just means Revv Clean = Fender Twin model under the hood. Adds more amp models, but makes it easier for people who want to use the full set of features on the amp.
2. Don't add channels if they are basically the same as an existing model, but add documentation so users can pick the closest equivalent if they want to replicate the full amp. Unfortunately this documentation is not there for a lot of drive pedal modes and amps.

I can't really say which one of these I would prefer because I don't care for extra clutter in already long and poorly manageable list views, but can see the value of simply picking "this amp's clean channel."

It definitely isn't and to be fair, one of the tailored for cleans models is generally going to sound superior to the clean channel of most high gain amps. A lot of high gain amps compromise on cleans, low gain tones etc to make their high gain tones and response excellent.

The way I see it, there's two approaches:

1. Add "redundant" channels so you have the full amp. Even if that just means Revv Clean = Fender Twin model under the hood. Adds more amp models, but makes it easier for people who want to use the full set of features on the amp.
2. Don't add channels if they are basically the same as an existing model, but add documentation so users can pick the closest equivalent if they want to replicate the full amp. Unfortunately this documentation is not there for a lot of drive pedal modes and amps.

I can't really say which one of these I would prefer because I don't care for extra clutter in already long and poorly manageable list views, but can see the value of simply picking "this amp's clean channel."
Yeah this but I’m not aiming for the clean channel in this case.
The green (crunch) channel got my attention because user saying it’s a Marshall Style Channel but with REVV‘s own flavor and I really like to try it out.

When it comes to clean channel. I think most people just would like to have the Information itself like: If you want the REVV Clean Channel, use the Bandcommander with the following settings etc.

Yeah this but I’m not aiming for the clean channel in this case.
The green (crunch) channel got my attention because user saying it’s a Marshall Style Channel but with REVV‘s own flavor and I really like to try it out.

When it comes to clean channel. I think most people just would like to have the Information itself like: If you want the REVV Clean Channel, use the Bandcommander with the following settings etc.
I haven't tried the real amp but every video I've seen of it, the green channel has just sounded entirely mediocre to me. Tons of models that would do that sort of tones better.

But I still understand wanting it so if it's just "same as model X" then knowing what X is would be valuable info.

I'd love this. Many of these amps are amps I have not tried in person, so even if I'm told an amp that is close I don't really know how to approximate a sound I've never heard.

Obviously this would be a lot of work, and you'd still end up with some variability from person to person based on setup, but in a dream world this would be great.

I haven't tried the real amp but every video I've seen of it, the green channel has just sounded entirely mediocre to me. Tons of models that would do that sort of tones better.

Absolutely.

According to the Revv documents the Cut appears to be an upper mid boost , you could probably do this
With the input eq possible by also using the input boost type mid boost or the Shred switch

According to the Revv documents the Cut appears to be an upper mid boost , you could probably do this
With the input eq possible by also using the input boost type mid boost or the Shred switch
It isnt so much of a boost but it gets rid of that 250-300 hz muddy mids section. I just use the P Drive in the drive block and bring it the attack knob, which gets rid of the boxy mids. On my real amp I use the Revv Tilt boost to do basically that.

It isnt so much of a boost but it gets rid of that 250-300 hz muddy mids section. I just use the P Drive in the drive block and bring it the attack knob, which gets rid of the boxy mids. On my real amp I use the Revv Tilt boost to do basically that.
to my ears that revv cut switch definitely boost some upper mid range, but everyone ears are different..
Also I heard Dan at revv live stream, where he said that cut switch is from mk1 and mk2, where the mids were always in that more upper mids region.
in mk3 he wanted to give players option to deactivate that, because with some guitars it is not needed.
It´s my favourite switch on amp, especially for LP-style guitars.

Last edited:

But I still understand wanting it so if it's just "same as model X" then knowing what X is would be valuable info.
I haven’t tried the real amp either but there are many amps out there where people get a great sound of it and the opposite.
But now the green channel had it‘s release on the FM3 so we will know soon how it Wollspinnerei on the III and if it’s a great addition or not.

A lot of high gain amps compromise on cleans, low gain tones etc to make their high gain tones and response excellent.
I know this is a bit of a pointless response, but I'm gonna make it anyway. I have a TON of experience with high-gain multi-channel amps, and the vast majority of them have had lovely clean channels. The worst offenders for my tastes are the Fender EVH 5150III's, and the original 5150 block. But the dual recto? Killer cleans. Diezels? Killer cleans. Marhall JVM? Again, killer cleans. Soldana SLO 100? Killer cleans!!

It really isn't hard to do an exceptional clean channel as part of your multi-channel topology. Not any more.

I'm really glad we've got the green channels. I believe Fractal are the best in the business when it comes to amp modelling, and I love it when they absolutely rinse an amp for all of it's modelling potential.

I know this is a bit of a pointless response, but I'm gonna make it anyway. I have a TON of experience with high-gain multi-channel amps, and the vast majority of them have had lovely clean channels. The worst offenders for my tastes are the Fender EVH 5150III's, and the original 5150 block. But the dual recto? Killer cleans. Diezels? Killer cleans. Marhall JVM? Again, killer cleans. Soldana SLO 100? Killer cleans!!

It really isn't hard to do an exceptional clean channel as part of your multi-channel topology. Not any more.

I'm really glad we've got the green channels. I believe Fractal are the best in the business when it comes to amp modelling, and I love it when they absolutely rinse an amp for all of it's modelling potential.
IMO it’s not cleans that are not good enough in multi channel monsters, but rather edge of breakup style tones. you know, that smokey, chewy, elastic, squishy goodness.
for example, mark tremonti said in one interview, that they are working now with prs for a few years on his upcoming signature 100 amp. He says the cleans are no problem at all, they basically benefit from the same stiff power amp response as it’s designed for his heavy rhythm channel, but the problem is 2nd channel, where he wants to have it dumble-esque.
They are having hard time figuring it all out, as that channel would be better, if the amp could use chewier, saggier, softer power amp.
He said he don’t want to make any compromises and wants to have all channel 100% to his taste, so that’s the reason it takes so long.

Last edited:

It's the low to mid gain drive tones that usually suffer the worst to me, but most of the high gainers end up having basically Fender Twin cleans.

That's a fine sound and all, but sometimes it's a bit too glassy, spiky and dynamic, not sweet and saggy enough. Sure, you can try compressors and whatnot but it's still not quite the same thing. This tends to extend to the other channels where I find that my favorite multichannel amps are ones with a more vintage voicing.

As an example, several years ago I got the Bogner Goldfinger 45 SL over a lot of other stuff like Friedman BE and whatnot because I felt it sounded sweeter and more old school - it was easier to take out bass and make it more modern sounding/responding than it is to make an already modern sounding/responding amp sound sweeter. But that did mean I was making some compromises on the high gain metal tones where it was probably more Zakk Wylde than Meshuggah, you know? I was fine with that.

I have moved away from 3-4 amps for real amps and instead would prefer a 1-2 channel amp that does a few things well rather than something that tries to be everything for everyone. I'd honestly rather see more amps with multiple identical channels because that's very useful.

The nice thing with modelers is that you don't have to make compromises like that.

Back
Top Bottom