Fractal Audio AMP Models: Revv (based on Revv Generator 120)

As "giving it a rest" didn't work, let's do the math. I don't work for FAS so the following are all assumptions.

Let's assume that adding the "missing" clean channels would translate to around 50 extra models (haven't counted).

50 is a conservative estimate. Because people are going to ask for the clean channel of an EL34 Shiva, for the clean channel of a Marshall which was only produced between June 2 and June 3 in 1976, for the clean channel of this and that, bla bla bla.

Let's assume that modeling a clean channel takes a single day (I have no clue): programming, measuring, testing, etc.

So that's 50 days at least.

That's 1/5 of the yearly working days of one capable employee. Plus, that capacity is no longer available for other tasks.
And financially it's 20% of the employer's charges for that employee in that year.

Now take into account that people are going to complain about some of the 50 models, which means more programming, measuring, testing, etc.
Also, take into account that with every development in amp modeling (new firmware), those extra 50 models will have to adjusted, checked etc. again. Adding to the total time required.

Finally, realize that after all this ... you'll come to the conclusion that most of the 50 extra models sound very much alike the blackface Fender models we already have in the box. If they didn't, FAS probably would have added them.

Investment <> Redundancy. Do the math.
The thing is that some of these wished for clean channels are not like existing models and it sounds like Revv Green may well be in this category. What I'm finding is that, yes, a lot of clean channels sound alike when set well under their max headroom, but, when brought up to eob they can sound and react (ie to boosts, OD, DS ...) very differently. I don't see the need to model every clean channel given limited space / resources etc (not sure anyone is seriously suggesting that here), but I also don't see that clean channel wishes should be as quickly dismissed as they often seem to be, on the basis that they are easily replicated by other models - if that's the argument being made then it would also likely apply to a huge chunk of gain channels currently in the box which I'm sure no-one is suggesting should be removed (it's interesting how even wishes for gain channels are often dismissed as "replicable", but when those same gain channel models appear in Axfx (Revv Purple/Red), the fanfare goes (often correctly imo) universally wild over how great and unique they sound.

Recently I've wandered into a zone where I really enjoy presets that do everything with just a cleanish amp block channel set eob.
  • for super clean, turn down guitar volume.
  • to approach crunch, apply a mild boost.
  • for full crunch, apply a stronger boost.
  • for gainy lead, apply a stronger boost with EQ (ie using the various amp boost characters or a separate drive block).
  • for higher-gain, put a distortion pedal drive block in front.
The ability to control output volume variations with modifiers makes this quite viable in Axfx compared to real world. As I go to this more and more, I'm appreciating the differences in how different clean channels respond to such manipulations as much or more than the differences in their basic unpushed tones. I'm also appreciating how difficult it is to reproduce a given clean model's "reactivity" by tweaking another clean model despite the two sounding very similar when set well under max headroom.

Last edited:
if that's the argument being made then it would also likely apply to a huge chunk of gain channels currently in the box which I'm sure no-one is suggesting should be removed (it's interesting how even wishes for gain channels are often dismissed as "replicable", but when those same gain channel models appear in Axfx (Revv Purple/Red), the fanfare goes (correctly imo) universally wild over how great and unique they sound.

Just to clarify. I don't think it's really that the Revv models are unique, they do sound great (though I'm waiting on my the return of my Axe FX fried by lightning to try it myself) it's more that what the Revv models do is. Take classic high gain sounds, make them a little tighter and less fuzzy/muddy. Take a Soldano, give it a better MV, more gain, more modes etc. What really makes Revv heads unique is how versatile they are.

What these amp models do is get us to modern metal sounds quicker. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

However if I was reading this thread as someone who worked on this firmware. I'd feel a little weird, like I put this effort in and people seem more concerned about adding the clean channel than the high gain channels of a high gain head.

The way I have always seen these Revv amps is. It's something you buy if you like 6505/type sounds, but want more options. It's kinda like, if you take amps we now see as classic metal amps, but make them actually designed for metal, instead of like the 6505 being a metal monster, is kinda an accident, as well as make them more versatile for things beyond metal.

Yek has amp videos??!! Why haven't I been told about this?

giphy.gif

The thing is that some of these wished for clean channels are not like existing models and it sounds like Revv Green may well be in this category. What I'm finding is that, yes, a lot of clean channels sound alike when set well under their max headroom, but, when brought up to eob they can sound and react (ie to boosts, OD, DS ...) very differently. I don't see the need to model every clean channel given limited space / resources etc (not sure anyone is seriously suggesting that here), but I also don't see that clean channel wishes should be as quickly dismissed as they often seem to be, on the basis that they are easily replicated by other models - if that's the argument being made then it would also likely apply to a huge chunk of gain channels currently in the box which I'm sure no-one is suggesting should be removed (it's interesting how even wishes for gain channels are often dismissed as "replicable", but when those same gain channel models appear in Axfx (Revv Purple/Red), the fanfare goes (often correctly imo) universally wild over how great and unique they sound.

Recently I've wandered into a zone where I really enjoy presets that do everything with just a cleanish amp block channel set eob.
  • for super clean, turn down guitar volume.
  • to approach crunch, apply a mild boost.
  • for full crunch, apply a stronger boost.
  • for gainy lead, apply a stronger boost with EQ (ie using the various amp boost characters or a separate drive block).
  • for higher-gain, put a distortion pedal drive block in front.
The ability to control output volume variations with modifiers makes this quite viable in Axfx compared to real world. As I go to this more and more, I'm appreciating the differences in how different clean channels respond to such manipulations as much or more than the differences in their basic unpushed tones. I'm also appreciating how difficult it is to reproduce a given clean model's "reactivity" by tweaking another clean model despite the two sounding very similar when set well under max headroom.

I think dismissiveness is unfortunately just a condition of the internet. No matter what you request or discuss in any way, someone will step in to dismiss it. I think you have to dismiss comments of that nature out of hand; that's what I do! Not to mention all that kind of stuff tends to distract from the substance of what's being discussed anyway.

I think dismissiveness is unfortunately just a condition of the internet. No matter what you request or discuss in any way, someone will step in to dismiss it. I think you have to dismiss comments of that nature out of hand; that's what I do! Not to mention all that kind of stuff tends to distract from the substance of what's being discussed anyway.
Exactly
if you have trouble reading people who don't have the same tastes, desires and goals, maybe you should think more about watching television rather than hanging out in a forum 😅

so true - admittedly tho I was a clean channel dismisser at one point as I thought of clean channels as "all the same", "pick any old one and use that one the same way in all my presets - gain channels
is where its at". Only more recently now that I've gotten kind of hooked on eob clean channels + boosts / ODs / DSs (improved to perfection in Axfx over recent years imo) have I changed my thinking and am more aware of differences between them particularly what they do differently to one another when boosted.

so true - admittedly tho I was a clean channel dismisser at one point as I thought of clean channels as "all the same", "pick any old one and use that one the same way in all my presets - gain channels
is where its at". Only more recently now that I've gotten kind of hooked on eob clean channels + boosts / ODs / DSs (improved to perfection in Axfx over recent years imo) have I changed my thinking and am more aware of differences between them particularly what they do differently to one another when boosted.
To me the clean channel of an amp if really really important. Even if I play a lot in distortion, in all my own songs or the one I play, there is a clean tone part somewhere.

I never bough an amp with a bad clean, it’s a deal breaker immediately. because for many years I was using external distortion pedals on tube amp. (Until I finally found a amp with a real clean and good dist : the JP2c)

Some amps like the mark series for example didn’t take distortion fx pedals well.

The clean channel in the rectifier take very well the metal distortion pedal .

Some clean are glassy, some are deep and warm, some are a joke like the 5150😅.

Yes I love playing in clean tone, that’s beautiful. Specially with fender guitars.

when you plug yourself in a real fender bassman with single coils, that’s … well. ♥️

Never mind that crap, here comes MONGO!

Okay, I did some IMDB research. Apt comparison! haha
Did a little REVV research tonight with the violet Custom 24. Tried all three of the Purple and Red channels through the '65 Bassguy 2x12". Liked Purple 2 the best of the Purples, and Red 1 of the Reds. Whipped up a preset each with them. With the gain dialed back to 0.7, it gives a nice, ballsy sound that works well for classic rock. Harder rock at 1.7, and insane sustain at 3.7. I'd've used the hell out of one of them in the '90s....

https://v-z-a.com/sites/default/files/midi-backup-file-2023-06/B'ManRevvP2 - 4S.syx

https://v-z-a.com/sites/default/files/midi-backup-file-2023-06/B'ManRevvR1 - 4S.syx

As far as the blue channel goes, you can use most any clean channel model that's already in the Axe FX. It's not as pristine as a Jazz Chorus, but not quite as "snotty" as a Fender. The EQ on it is powerful and you can get it pretty Fender-y though. I personally use it almost exclusively for bass, with the Fridge 9 IR.

What I really want to see is the green channel modeled. At the moment, I get a solid equivalent to how I set mine with the AC-20, '65 Bassman, Tucana, and Hiwatt models. Favoring the AC-20 at the moment. As with the blue channel, the EQ is really powerful and you can get Marshall and Friedman type tones.

One of my favorite amps, huge thanks to the fractal homies. I'm sure purple/red were a huge undertaking, people have been asking about them for years, I'm grateful for these regardless of green/blue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom