Wish Fortin Meshuggah and Randall Satan

Hi everyone, I'm curious if maybe one day we will see some Meshuggah head or the Randall Satan in our systems.
I will sell off my left foot for these heads.

I'm using it with Neural DSP plugin but I bet that the Fractal one will be much better, could be a game changer for some metal guy like me.
I already have Axe fx II, Ax8 and FM3, don't want to spend money on QC honestly and I trust more in Fractal products.

@2112, can you talk a bit about how you have the Grinder boost and an amp with it set? The times I've tried it it was super trebly.

Tight high gain tones are usually achieved by cutting bass pre-gain and boosting it post gain. Most high gain amps* place the tone stack and associated controls (Bass/Middle/Treble) post gain, so using a drive pedal or pre-EQ boost allow us to shape the pre-gain EQ. The grinder is essentially a tilt EQ, so it shaves off quite a bit of bass and boosts a lot of mids and highs which can get crazy with bright amps. With an amp like the Atomica or Savage using the grinder allows me to push the bass and depth controls for pronounced low end that is still tight.

*The Mark series amps are a notable exception to this paradigm, with B/M/T being pre gain and the GEQ post gain.

Tight high gain tones are usually achieved by cutting bass pre-gain and boosting it post gain. Most high gain amps* place the tone stack and associated controls (Bass/Middle/Treble) post gain, so using a drive pedal or pre-EQ boost allow us to shape the pre-gain EQ. The grinder is essentially a tilt EQ, so it shaves off quite a bit of bass and boosts a lot of mids and highs which can get crazy with bright amps. With an amp like the Atomica or Savage using the grinder allows me to push the bass and depth controls for pronounced low end that is still tight.

*The Mark series amps are a notable exception to this paradigm, with B/M/T being pre gain and the GEQ post gain.
Understood, I'm not really a high gain guy and I've done the cut-lows-pre-boost-post thing for a long time. The grinder just seems so extreme, I wondered if there was some special trick, but I guess the answer is just boost lows in or post them amp.

Do you generally use much gain in the grinder itself?

Understood, I'm not really a high gain guy and I've done the cut-lows-pre-boost-post thing for a long time. The grinder just seems so extreme, I wondered if there was some special trick, but I guess the answer is just boost lows in or post them amp.

Do you generally use much gain in the grinder itself?
You need to slam the front end of the amp, the grind pedal in the real world is just a knob that controls volume.
It's an "Eq fixed" pedal, turn this volume up and lower the amp gain, it will do the trick.

I know that the Shuggah head is just a heavy modified Marshall and we could get the sound by tweaking the amps that we already have but will be really cool to see this new model in our systems like we have a different flavoured Jcm800 amp like the Atomica.
I'm really curious about the story of the Fortin Natas/Randall Satan too because the Savage works but it's not like the Satan unless you tone match the Satan.
Maybe Cliff will make me and other metal guy happy one day :p

For the Fortin Nameless (Meshugga) you can also check out this tutorial (patch for the ax8 is in the download section below the video) - basically it uses a Friedman BE-C45 (Friedmans are also based on Marshall designs) with an fortin grind shaped eq in front of the amp. the amp itself is has low input gain, cranked bass and extra saturation. using the recommended IRs this sounds incredible on the AX8 - This was my main preset for month. But the BE-C45 sounds different on the FM3 - especially the tightness in the base is much bettern on the AX8, I have been trying for weeks now to get a similar match.

Last edited:
Update I just tried Leons tip and used an Atomica High and it sounds incredible close to the Nameless. (Atomica High, Grinder +20db, Input Drive around noon depending on your pickups, bass 6, mid 6, treble 7, Depth 10. I uses Leons free LT TV Mix 2 IR - proximity 1.5 for comparisons. With my drop d-flat 6 string, with nazgul / sentient this sounds amazing.

Well I'm late to the party but was wondering the very same thing since I got my FM3 last summer: if the Meshuggah amp would make it in eventually. Found out, while toying around with the FAS amp models, the FAS Hot Rod gets extremely close. Dialed it in and A/B-ed it against the Nameless plugin and they're soooooo close to eachother it's hard to tell them apart if I were to go blindfolded.

LE: turning down the Master Bias Excursion in the Amp Block, Dynamics page (even all the way down to 0) makes the amp even more articulate when playing high gain stuff

Last edited:
I've been trying for ages now but I just can't get it to sound like these two amps with the FM3...
Yeah I have M8s and need a buttload of eqing to get it anywhere close with any of these amps.

Using the amp controls and even a boost it always sounds like there’s a blanket over the speaker.

I eagerly await some Fortin and Randall models.

Back
Top Bottom