For our friends in Texas

My sometimes second guitar player is an army reservist currently on orders in Kentucky He texted today to say they are shipping out for Houston tomorrow. I've lived in Texas for eight years now and I can say that the sense of community here is stronger than Ive seen anywhere else. Texans seem to have an innate desire to help one another in times of need or otherwise. This is tragic regardless of geography, but I can't think of a place better suited to pull together in adversity, and get through this.

I was looking at several before and after pictures today and they are truly stunning....my thoughts go out to everyone in Texas as the images I'm seeing are horrifying. I read that they estimate that 11 trillion gallons of water fell in the Houston area over the last few days and 15 trillion total...that's just jaw-dropping.

Hope you all stay safe and there is some relief soon.

Last edited:
I have been very blessed thus far but now I've gotta really keep my eye on my area. The San Jacinto River runs 3/4 of a mile behind my neighborhood in the woods and it's rising. My house is the blue dot in the pic and the blue line is where the flood water is expected to come to. Right to the edge of our subdivision. Right now it's at 87ft and expected to crest at 98ft up from an expected 94ft 24 hrs ago. My house is at an elevation of 111.5 ft. I've heard some estimates of the river cresting at 104 to 112ft. It's gonna be real close. If ya got a minute say a little prayer for all of us down here.
View attachment 41490
We have been praying for you and all of our neighbors in Houston. We just heard that the Dallas donation centers have been overwhelmed with donations. God bless Texas.

That's one thing about Texans in times of crisis we come together. This whole thing is very physically and emotionally overwhelming. On a sad note there were instances of thugs posing as evacuees needing help holding up the volunteer rescuers to steal their boats so they can go into the flooded neighborhood houses and loot them. Along with businesses being looted. Unbelievable. Makes me freaking sick. Like we don't have enough to deal with. Good news is I just saw on the news that law enforcement got a team together, hunted them down and arrested them. Mad props to all our law enforcement, firemen, first responders and all the volunteers coming in and helping with the thousands upon thousand of water rescues.

Just got my Axe Fx and studio wired for the first time since getting a direct hit of the hurricane. I'm located in Victoria, TX. A lot of apartments around me were damaged pretty badly but thankfully mine stayed in tact. It was interesting finding places above ground for 20 guitar cases, heh, glad everything is okay though. My thoughts and best wishes are with all of our Houston FAS family members.

I'm sure you have your hands full right now Bishop, but please let us know how you are doing when you get a chance. I think I speak for many when I say I am very concerned about you (and all my Texas neighbors) and I keep praying for your safety.

Heartfelt thoughts to all those affected by this tragedy.

On a positive note, it is really nice to see all the people come together in Texas to help one another. Minus of course the few imbeciles who try to take advantage of such a situation to line their own pockets. Gladly, they are a small percentage. I read where Texas just upped the penalty for looting to a mandatory minimum 5 years to life. Well done Texas!

To bishop and all those here going through this, hang in there and stay safe!

even though the storm has moved on there are still thousands trapped and in need of rescue. entire areas still under feet of water. we've been out volunteering nonstop the last 2 days

I'm sure you have your hands full right now Bishop, but please let us know how you are doing when you get a chance. I think I speak for many when I say I am very concerned about you (and all my Texas neighbors) and I keep praying for your safety.
I am good brother. Been a stressful last 48 hrs. The river crested about 100' from our neighborhood on Tuesday aftenoon. We are very blessed. My mom had power all through the storm but Centerpoint turned it off in her neighborhood yesterday afternoon because of the rising water in her area. Needless to say it made my mom a little nervous spending the night at her house alone in the dark with the water rising in her area and I couldn't get to her with the high water still around the freeways yesterday. A couple my wife and I are good friends with live close to my mom and were kind enough to go get her and let her stay at their home last night till I could get to her today. My family and home are safe so I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. But so many thousands of others are not as fortunate. Please keep praying for all those affected.

It's so horrible, devastating. Houston area got 1 YEAR's worth of rain (50 inches) in a five day period. Over 500,000 cars underwater/probably ruined. Nothing like it in recorded history.

Overall, Texans really are tough and amazing people. Tragedies like this bring out the best in some, the worst in others. People helping people rushing into harm's way to save lives, but, then there are the small number of complete jerks who are charging $5 for a bottle of water, or looting.

But for the grace God, we missed the brunt here in Austin (although I got five water leaks/drywall damage, including one in ceiling right over my "captains chair" in my studio, but no gear damage thankfully). As a person growing up in Louisiana no stranger to hurricanes, but this one will top Katrina in terms of sheer devastation.

My old band's bass player lives in Houston and is safe, but his house is flooded. I note he left behind most of his gear in the house, but brought his P-Bass with him as he got out. So there's that.

This thing is going to play out for a few weeks. Effects will be felt even outside Houston, for example Austin now has a gasoline shortage, as many Houston area refineries are closed...

It's good to hear you rode out the crest in safety, @bishop5150 . You must know a few cardinals, too. :)

May you be minimally impacted in the days ahead.

Saw this and thought it was great.

Things learned from Hurricane Harvey:

-All lives mattered
-Rednecks with boats and a huge desire to help can accomplish an awful lot!
-Cajun Navy is real and they are a bunch of swamp badasses with boats and huge hearts!
-Cabin fever is real
-Cabin fever for children is even more real
-Water and mold have a very distinct smell that is forever etched in people's brains
-Fire ants float
-Snakes like water
-All freshly opened previously flooded roads lead to more water.
-Telling people who lost everything that material possessions can be replaced and that they are alive, can make people angry. Please don't do it! Along with "material possessions" are memories and items of sentimental irreplaceable value that many do not understand.
-20 trillion gallons of water didn't kill love bugs
-Invest in cans of Off

In all seriousness now:

The rain crisis is over but the physical part is just starting for many. Ripping Sheetrock. Pulling carpet, sifting through remnants of sentimental items and pictures will make people very emotional. Most who have flooded would probably rather their houses burn to the ground than sift through so many emotional items they have simply forgotten about over the years.

The physical and emotional journey is just starting for many! Have patience for those who have lost things as you really do not understand what they are going through. People are going to be short fused. Lend a hand and a hug instead of passing judgement in the next coming months to cranky people! Most of all if you cannot lend a hand, be a shoulder to cry on or an ear to bend!

Last but definitely not least, 30+ people have been confirmed dead so far as a result of hurricane Harvey. Among those was an HPD officer with 30+ years on the force, he passed away in the flood waters in route to work to assist in rescuing others. Please keep all of them in your thoughts and prayers.

#Texasstrong

Back
Top Bottom