For bedroom player, CLR Wedge or Cab?

romanianreaper

Power User
I normally sit and play guitar at my computer but have thought about getting a CLR so I can jam and not have headphones on.

Which would be the more convenient for something that is good while sitting down and jamming but also could be used jamming with folks if needed? Can a wedge work in a band scenario?

Neither. Use stereo studio monitors. Like Adam A5X or A7X.
Even the A3X are great....

Go for wedge then, I also use wedge styled monitors at home and perfect as monitor on stage when playing with a band. Im not sure, but i bet CLR is loud enough on its own if just jamming or playing somewhere and cant use FOH.

I use a CLR wedge horizontal like a standard amp. It is plenty loud. I play in a 4 piece with 2 guitarists, a bassist and a loud drummer and I still have to keep the volume control turned down.

Neither. Use stereo studio monitors. Like Adam A5X or A7X.
Even the A3X are great....

+1

I have the A3X for bedroom use, they perfectly suited for that. Great noisefree sound, don´t need much space and they´ve got all the punch you need in the bedroom :)

Just out of curiosity why studio monitors over a CLR for home use? Is it simply a matter of size and stereo? Or do they sound better at lower volumes?

Just out of curiosity why studio monitors over a CLR for home use? Is it simply a matter of size and stereo? Or do they sound better at lower volumes?

I can't speak for anyone who's already posted in this thread, but I have noticed that some people believe a wedge is just overkill in terms of power and volume for bedroom use.

Personally, I disagree. A lot of people do use wedges at home. For me, though studio monitors do sound great, they just don't "move as much air" as only something with a larger speaker and enclosure can do. Studio monitors are great for getting an accurate representation of what you're getting from the Axe, but sometimes I just need something that sounds bigger. Ideally, one would have both studio monitors and a wedge(s).

In my opinion, there's nothing in the cab version that the wedge doesn't have. Actually, it's the other way around, in that the wedge can easily function as a cab (it is designed to be able to this), while the cab can not function as a wedge (At least not as easily. But I guess you could tilt it with an amp stand). I think the cab version is simply made to fit conservative guitarist that want their FRFR monitor to resemble traditional cabs. So if you want a CLR, you should (IMHO) go for the wedge.

Well, actually my "whole setup" is in my bedroom atm. So I guess, I can share my experience.

Having some nice near field speakers is really great, especially if you want record/mix/master stuff with your PC/Mac/whatever. In front of me there are two Yamaha HS50Ms + HS10W (under the desk) and yes for the earlier mentioned use cases they're really great.

But if you sometimes, like me, want to crank up the volume and "feel it". Well then I really prefer my RCF nx-12sma (wedge). And I really look forward to the day I can compare it with the Atomic CLR (wedge, of course), but I'm only at the waiting list for about a month, so I guess I have to wait a bit longer for that comparision. (But nonetheless, TOM you hear me?) ;)

So long story short: You record usually and such stuff, go for the near fields. If you want to "get louder" then get a active wedge (better imo because you're able to use it in different angles without anything, but look for other threads, for more on that topic ;)). And if you like to work at night.. get some good headphones (Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, HifiMan, Audeze.. aso.). And If money doesn't matter, get all of them. :D

Let me put it this way:
I live in an apartment and have to be "reasonable" with my neighbors. But I want to be able to enjoy my guitars and the Axe-FX II whenever I want to. Thus, at home I use a headset at night (AKG K702), studio monitors when I have to keep it down (a pair of Neumann KH120 active studio monitors) and an Atomic CLR active wedge when I want to push some air even if I am at home.

Back
Top Bottom