For all you gigging with your AX8's!

Again, you don’t need a license. You cannot get a license. The website is responsible for it. Twitch and YouTube have the licenses for live streaming covers. Twitch does not have licenses for recorded videos. YouTube recorded covers sends the ad revenue to the rights holders.

For venue gigs the venue has to have the license.

Both streaming sites and venues buy a Blanket License which covers most songs, because it’s impossible for them to track what songs every performer in the world is doing. So you don’t need to verify every artist you cover for gigs or livestreaming.

There are rare exceptions, which are impossible to know about ahead of time. I personally do not cover any Disney affiliated songs, for example, because in the past they’ve changed their policies a lot concerning rights and licenses. But general “radio music” is covered for sure with the blanket licenses.

@chris

@ChristThePhone
@fcs101

@Purplestrats

Wait a sec. YouTube and Twitch buy blanket licenses for streaming cover songs?

Does a night performing on YouTube live streaming give you income for your cover performances that can result in equivalent pay to a night performing at a bar? Minimum $50-$100 a night for a 1.5 hour long show? I'm looking to make an extra $500 / month performing part-time doing live streaming. About $6k a year. But I have yet to decide which platform is better, YT, Twitch, Bandcamp etc.

I feel this method has advantages over the bar scene if I can make it happen because I don't have to concern myself with travel to and from a venue, wear and tear and damage to my new car, car gas, exposing my equipment to extreme heat or cold in the summer or winter, theft while loading/unloading my equipment, cost of security personel, and working on other peoples schedules and deadlines.

Live streaming eliminates ALL of those concerns. I simply work out of my home studio on my timeline. But the pay has to be reasonable. What do you consider reasonable pay for live streaming on YT or Twitch?

Last edited:
Think you need 1000+ subscribers and at least 5000 hours of viewing time before YouTube starts to pay.

Just get out there an gig. Stopping worrying about the licenses, etc. (venue responsibility).

@ChristThePhone
@chris
@fcs101
@Purplestrats

Yeah I have two options now.

Live performing in bars or private events where I don't concern myself with licensing.

Performing on Bandcamp where YOU charge a door ticket price to your virtual stream event. So if you have 20 song concert and you charge $20 a ticket, and 100 people show up, you just made $2000. Hard to believe but it's true.

The only thing is Bandcamp requires you to get sync licensing for every cover song , otherwise you could be fined or arrested.

I am pondering how much and where I would buy the sync licensing.

I have done covers of U2 songs on my bandcamp page. I have bought separate licensing for digital downloads (About 100 downloads of each cover song) and streaming of the songs (About 1000+ streams of each cover song) on Bandcamp. It was about $100 total for each cover. Not too shabby if one wants to break into the streaming scene. I purchased from EasySong. I wonder if they sell sync licenses. If it's only $50 for a cover for 100 performances or 1000 performances it is well worth the $2000 I can make at every show I host.

@ChristThePhone
@chris
@fcs101
@Purplestrats

Yeah I have two options now.

Live performing in bars or private events where I don't concern myself with licensing.

Performing on Bandcamp where YOU charge a door ticket price to your virtual stream event. So if you have 20 song concert and you charge $20 a ticket, and 100 people show up, you just made $2000. Hard to believe but it's true.

The only thing is Bandcamp requires you to get sync licensing for every cover song , otherwise you could be fined or arrested.

I am pondering how much and where I would buy the sync licensing.

I have done covers of U2 songs on my bandcamp page. I have bought separate licensing for digital downloads (About 100 downloads of each cover song) and streaming of the songs (About 1000+ streams of each cover song) on Bandcamp. It was about $100 total for each cover. Not too shabby if one wants to break into the streaming scene. I purchased from EasySong. I wonder if they sell sync licenses. If it's only $50 for a cover for 100 performances or 1000 performances it is well worth the $2000 I can make at every show I host.

I cannot speak for streaming, never did it myself or cared for. I don't know how much experience you've made so far in doing bar gigs so in case you have none I suggest to go that route first because it's a cheap way to get feedback on what works and what not. The gigs I've done so far were far from being able to make people want to pay a 20 bucks admission. I'd probably think differently if I had to make a living from it. In that case I would probably go for private events like weddings but try to keep a profile low enough to not appear on the government tax radar (once you start a tax relevant pro business it's a lot of paperwork and a lot less money to begin with).

How are you going to get people to pay you $20 before the show?

It's just a hypothetical scenario and in reality almost impossible to pull off.. I hear the average bandcamp artists makes 2-3 sales on a digital download and its usually from close family or friends who buy.

These days most people aren't going to pay $20 for a ticket. They won't even pay $10. They won't even pay $5. Some won't even pay $1.

These days most people on Bandcamp and other platforms stream for free just to get exposure.

They make most of their living performing in bars , nightclubs, and private events or teaching for a living at a music school.

Which is the path I'll most likely take!

Cheers!
Adrian

@guitaroholic
@ChristThePhone
@chris
@Habuman
@fcs101
@Purplestrats

Small venues, 20 years experience in mostly guitar but 12 of those years spent as a recording artist on YT and BC.
So when it comes to performing I have no real experience except in front of family (small social gatherings).

So in essence I would be playing SMALL to MID SIZED venues 95% of the time. I would expect audiences under 1000 people max. Most likely 100 on average.

I would think with the RS Elis 8's the passive speaker just powers off the active. So if the active dies on me I can't use the passive as a backup anyways. Therefore, it makes more logical sense just to cart the one active RS Elis 8 frfr speaker.

Also when it comes to being gig ready ease of transport is a must. I want to make as few trips to the car as possible. A guitar in case, an AX8 in leather case with handle, and a RS Elis 8 Active for my sound as a speaker. Easy to carry to the car in 1-2 trips.
Everything in mono of course. No fancy stereo setups.

Right now I'm working on developing my material, a social media presence, and getting my website built by an experienced graphics designer.

Preparing for the eventual future of gigging.

Last edited:
@guitaroholic
@ChristThePhone
@chris
@Habuman
@fcs101
@Purplestrats

Small venues, 20 years experience in mostly guitar but 12 of those years spent as a recording artist on YT and BC.
So when it comes to performing I have no real experience except in front of family (small social gatherings).

So in essence I would be playing SMALL to MID SIZED venues 95% of the time. I would expect audiences under 1000 people max. Most likely 100 on average.

I would think with the RS Elis 8's the passive speaker just powers off the active. So if the active dies on me I can't use the passive as a backup anyways. Therefore, it makes more logical sense just to cart the one active RS Elis 8 frfr speaker.

Also when it comes to being gig ready ease of transport is a must. I want to make as few trips to the car as possible. A guitar in case, an AX8 in leather case with handle, and a RS Elis 8 Active for my sound as a speaker. Easy to carry to the car in 1-2 trips.

Right now I'm working on developing my material, a social media presence, and getting my website built by an IT company.

Preparing for the eventual future of gigging.
I suggest to bring a stand for your Eli's to improve their range while needing less volume and to protect them from getting kicked. Some venues are L-shaped which often calls for a 2nd speaker. Going mono will help to reduce complexity in most cases. Personally I prefer a stereo setup to really get the effect quality across but it's, of course, more hassle at times. As always, start small, gain experience, adjust, repeat. Good luck !

The Eli’s 8 have180W RMS power, I assume this is the power per channel so with only the the active you will have only 180W instead of 360W for the pair
That may seem a lot but the single Elis8 may only be enough for playing rock music in a bar with 50 people. If I was in your place I would definitely bring the pair.

get a trolley of some sort...
1671821538460.png

@ChristThePhone
@Jeronimo
@guitaroholic

Christthephone: Are you saying I need to polemount them? Or buy some sort of tables that can handle their weight? I always fear pole-mounting as it is easy to drop them if your not careful and anyone can kick over a tripod if they're drunk or pricks. Has anyone really kicked your speakers or amps? What was the reason? Right now in my studio they are on the ground and at volume 2 can be heard down my corridor in my condo. This is why I only play between noon and 6 pm M-F usually.

Jeronimo: I never thought of the wattage. I know it's possible to gig with them and RMS doesn't necessarily translate to true volume. For example the Headrush FRFR speakers I had were 1000 RMS or 2000 watts but hardly louder than my Vox Ac10 tube amp cranked which is only 10 watts max.
However, I see the advantage of bringing both if there are many people watching and it is a safe venue like a wedding banquet hall. And you say 180W RMS is only good for 50 people but I'm not playing with a band or drummer. Just myself solo as an instrumentalist. Also I won't be replacing a DJ but rather adding to the event in the form of a special event presentation. My goal is a maximum of 1.5 hrs of entertainment to a watching audience over say the early hours of a wedding like during the dinner parties etc. Or being hired to perform at anniversaries, retirement parties, private vip parties etc. I want a good selection of songs to appeal to a wide range of people. I am targeting the greatest rock riffs from the 80's. I say bring the 80's back!

Guitaroholic: That trolley idea is priceless. Then again navigating stairwells would make it obsolete.. haha .. Lets hope elevators exist in all these establishments for easy transport. And there is a VIP parking area to protect against theft.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Dsouza

Last edited:
And there is a VIP parking area to protect against theft.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Dsouza
I'd suggest getting insurance for your gear, especially since you keep imagining the worst at these venues, . Regular homeowners or condo insurance usually does not cover gear when it leaves the house. At least in USA.

RMS doesn't necessarily translate to true volume. For example the Headrush FRFR speakers I had were 1000 RMS or 2000 watts but hardly louder than my Vox Ac10 tube amp cranked which is only 10 watts max.
I don’t trust the Headrush specs, I do trust the Redsound specs.
Comparing wattage of a FRFR speaker to a tube amp is also difficult.

Of course I understand you want to be careful with your gear but in the end they are just tools to help you get the job done.
The redsound speakers are designed to be used in a gigging situation, just use them for what they are made for

Christthephone: Are you saying I need to polemount them? Or buy some sort of tables that can handle their weight? I always fear pole-mounting as it is easy to drop them if your not careful and anyone can kick over a tripod if they're drunk or pricks. Has anyone really kicked your speakers or amps? What was the reason? Right now in my studio they are on the ground and at volume 2 can be heard down my corridor in my condo. This is why I only play between noon and 6 pm M-F usually.
we always put our PA speakers on poles and never had any issues. as described we use IEMs and having an elevated stage helps too. it really depends on the venue and the type of audience. if I was to provide some background entertainment like Chris does then you don't necessarily want to fill the entire space with your sound and putting your Elis in the ground would be ok. but we're a rock band and our goal is to rock the venue so we're playing at a considerable volume.

we always put our PA speakers on poles and never had any issues. as described we use IEMs and having an elevated stage helps too. it really depends on the venue and the type of audience. if I was to provide some background entertainment like Chris does then you don't necessarily want to fill the entire space with your sound and putting your Elis in the ground would be ok. but we're a rock band and our goal is to rock the venue so we're playing at a considerable volume.

Yeah you want to rock the venue cause your a ROCKSTAR! You're getting me pumped!

@ChristThePhone
@chris
@Habuman
@fcs101
@Purplestrats
@Jeronimo
@guitaroholic

LUCKY NUMBERS AND GIGGING:

Some cultures around the world believe in luck.

I currently have a setlist of 9 artists and 15 songs I'm working on developing. I'm wondering if I'd be luckier/unluckier increasing it to 12 artists and 18 songs?

I do believe more is not always better, and too little is not as good as enough. There is a stage where you say I know enough to reach mastery and learning anymore will negate my near to perfect performances of my current setlist.

How many people believe learning to play 12 artists is luckier than learning to play 9? Or vica versa? And why?

How many people think a setlist of 18 songs is luckier than a setlist of 15 songs? Or vica versa ? And why?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom