@ChristThePhone
@chris
@Habuman
@fcs101
@Purplestrats
@Jeronimo
@guitaroholic

LUCKY NUMBERS AND GIGGING:

Some cultures around the world believe in luck.

I currently have a setlist of 9 artists and 15 songs I'm working on developing. I'm wondering if I'd be luckier/unluckier increasing it to 12 artists and 18 songs?

I do believe more is not always better, and too little is not as good as enough. There is a stage where you say I know enough to reach mastery and learning anymore will negate my near to perfect performances of my current setlist.

How many people believe learning to play 12 artists is luckier than learning to play 9? Or vica versa? And why?

How many people think a setlist of 18 songs is luckier than a setlist of 15 songs? Or vica versa ? And why?
Don't know how to answer your question. Again, I think you are thinking/over analyzing way too much for a gig. Once you start gigging you will start to figure out what works and what to throw away.

We do a 3 set gig each Saturday. Sometimes a Friday. Each set is 45 minutes with anywhere from 8-10 songs per set. At any given time we have at least 90 songs on our song list to chose from. New songs are added and deleted. The list is always changing. Each gig will contain some staple songs but each gig we pick different songs from the list to keep it fresh.

@ChristThePhone
@chris
@Habuman
@fcs101
@Purplestrats
@Jeronimo
@guitaroholic

LUCKY NUMBERS AND GIGGING:

Some cultures around the world believe in luck.

I currently have a setlist of 9 artists and 15 songs I'm working on developing. I'm wondering if I'd be luckier/unluckier increasing it to 12 artists and 18 songs?

I do believe more is not always better, and too little is not as good as enough. There is a stage where you say I know enough to reach mastery and learning anymore will negate my near to perfect performances of my current setlist.

How many people believe learning to play 12 artists is luckier than learning to play 9? Or vica versa? And why?

How many people think a setlist of 18 songs is luckier than a setlist of 15 songs? Or vica versa ? And why?
I don’t understand the question.

I second what Habuman said. A set should be around 45 minutes to give the audience a break to talk. 3 sets plus an encore and you're good. Personally I tend to not believe in luck but in good work and preparation. But whatever floats your boat, the most important thing is to feel good about how things go. Keep a good spirit, don't let the a..holes get too close to you (there are always some), stay friendly, smile, and try to have a good time with the ones liking your music.

Don't know how to answer your question. Again, I think you are thinking/over analyzing way too much for a gig. Once you start gigging you will start to figure out what works and what to throw away.

We do a 3 set gig each Saturday. Sometimes a Friday. Each set is 45 minutes with anywhere from 8-10 songs per set. At any given time we have at least 90 songs on our song list to chose from. New songs are added and deleted. The list is always changing. Each gig will contain some staple songs but each gig we pick different songs from the list to keep it fresh.

You sound like you're in a band. Keep in mind I'm a solo instrumental lead guitarist, not doing vocals or playing with bandmates.

I don't have that quantity of material at this point. But you did mention 45 min sets of 8-10 songs. So that kinda answers my question. 18 songs divided into two 45 min sets of 9 songs each seems to work out. I don't think I'll be able to manage three 45 min sets in the near future so I'll aim for two and book smaller gigs until I get there.

I just had my producer and graphic expert / web designer , just create my website so I am slowly but surely on my way. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
I second what Habuman said. A set should be around 45 minutes to give the audience a break to talk. 3 sets plus an encore and you're good. Personally I tend to not believe in luck but in good work and preparation. But whatever floats your boat, the most important thing is to feel good about how things go. Keep a good spirit, don't let the a..holes get too close to you (there are always some), stay friendly, smile, and try to have a good time with the ones liking your music.

As always inspirational advice.

@chris
@Purplestrats
@fcs101
@ChristThePhone

I believe it was Chris who said he got more damage to his equipment at private event gigs than bar scene gigs. Why do you think this is the case? And does it reflect your experience?
I think it’s because at private gigs, they think they own everything since they paid for it all and tend to come on stage whenever they want and step on things or grab guitars and mics. This can happen anywhere including bar gigs, but for me personally, I’ve had more issues at private vs dailies.

Just tonight at a private, some drunk guy came on stage while we played and tried to grab my guitar and when I stepped away he went to my mic and started singing some other song. Apparently he’s the brother of the guy who threw the event. The family got him off stage and apologized.

Again, just for me personally, this has happened more at pricate gigs, weddings, parties etc. this has happened at Bar gigs too, but public venues feel like it’s clearer that it’s off limits because they are guests of the venue. Of course anything can happen anywhere.

Last edited:
I think it’s because at private gigs, they think they own everything since they paid for it all and come on stage whenever they want and step on things or grab guitars and mics. This can happen anywhere including bar gigs, but for me personally, I’ve had more issues at private vs dailies.
It depends how you negotiate with them. You can say for security reasons no one is allowed on stages besides you or the sound engineer or the MC if you have hired one.

I wouldn’t tolerate people grabbing or trying to play my guitars or turning the volume knobs on my speakers or kicking things.

I’ve seen a lot of private events here in Toronto and no one approaches the stage.

You can have that specified in your contract. Or hire security personnel to ensure a smooth performance.

Just curious was alcohol a factor when this happened to you?

It depends how you negotiate with them. You can say for security reasons no one is allowed on stages besides you or the sound engineer or the MC if you have hired one.

I wouldn’t tolerate people grabbing or trying to play my guitars or turning the volume knobs on my speakers or kicking things.

I’ve seen a lot of private events here in Toronto and no one approaches the stage.

You can have that specified in your contract. Or hire security personnel to ensure a smooth performance.

Just curious was alcohol a factor when this happened to you?
You can say whatever you want. You can have security. People may still do what they want especially if they paid you personally to be there. Alcohol is not always a factor.

Some people just think they belong on any stage that exists.

It’s generally known that no one should go on stage especially during a performance. But people do what they want.

This doesn’t happen often. But I’ve done thousands of gigs over 20+ years so the percentage is higher. I was just saying that for me, it tends to happen more at private gigs, not that it happens all the time.

I perform at weddings, pubs, stuff like that. Play whatever songs I like and never worried about a license, that's the venues problem.

Dealing with drunk people can be a hassle, but that's what bouncers are for.

If I didn't sing and only played cover tunes on guitar, I would never have been able to book a single gig. Your plans are completely unrealistic, I don't know what else to tell you. No one is going to pay you for strumming along to some U2 songs on guitar, that's just the simple truth. Maybe you can impose on your friends and relatives once or twice so you can feel like you're doing a gig, I don't know. All you're really doing is daydreaming at work. Chris and the others are too polite to tell you, but I don't have that problem.

I perform at weddings, pubs, stuff like that. Play whatever songs I like and never worried about a license, that's the venues problem.

Dealing with drunk people can be a hassle, but that's what bouncers are for.

If I didn't sing and only played cover tunes on guitar, I would never have been able to book a single gig. Your plans are completely unrealistic, I don't know what else to tell you. No one is going to pay you for strumming along to some U2 songs on guitar, that's just the simple truth. Maybe you can impose on your friends and relatives once or twice so you can feel like you're doing a gig, I don't know. All you're really doing is daydreaming at work. Chris and the others are too polite to tell you, but I don't have that problem.
I’m not only doing U2 but a variety of artists and I’m not strumming along on an acoustic like some singer songwriter.

I’m playing lead guitar. There is a market for that if you own the work. I mean OWN THE VIBE. 👍

You think people would hesitate hiring a great instrumentalist for weddings , parties, local bars if you can rock the place etc?

Instrumentalists are still employable you know!

Slash would of never left G&R if he didn’t think the guitar could stand on its own.

I’m no Slash but the same concept and principles apply to the local music scene.

If you get good at something, OWN IT, put yourself out there on SOCIAL MEDIA, and are passionate about what you do, agents and producers will find you not the other way around.

I see too many musicians chasing fame and money. Life doesn’t work that way. You have to do what YOU love to do and doors of opportunity will automatically come your way.

I learned of this advice from Steve Vai on becoming a successful musician.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
For any of you who like to keep abreast (or two haha) of social media:

(Using a Fender Strat, the Legendary AX8 (which gets much love at least on this forum haha), and a pair of Redsound Elis 8 speakers).

I recently, got my new website up and running!

My website is still in it’s infancy…but a premonition of good things to come in the world of gigging!

Check it out!

https://adriandsouza.ml

Last edited:
I like your dedication and don't want to steal your thunder but I don't see how this is going to generate any revenue for you. I watched your vids on YT and wouldn't know any location that would book you, however, I might be totally wrong. Keep us updated on how your gigs went. Good luck and happy new year.

I like your dedication and don't want to steal your thunder but I don't see how this is going to generate any revenue for you. I watched your vids on YT and wouldn't know any location that would book you, however, I might be totally wrong. Keep us updated on how your gigs went. Good luck and happy new year.
My best friend who lives 10 min away from me designed my website. This best friend who I can’t name for legal reasons is in business contracts with a real retired Hollywood box office celebrity, who once again I can’t name for legal reasons.

My best friend knows an Irish pub in my area where he’d snap his fingers and have them hire me on the spot because of his name and connections.

I told him I’d take him up on his offer in the near future when I have more material ready.

My best friend who lives 10 min away from me designed my website. This best friend who I can’t name for legal reasons is in business contracts with a real retired Hollywood box office celebrity, who once again I can’t name for legal reasons.

My best friend knows an Irish pub in my area where he’d snap his fingers and have them hire me on the spot because of his name and connections.

I told him I’d take him up on his offer in the near future when I have more material ready.

Nice, always good to have good connections to get the foot into the door. But the real test is if they're going to hire you (again) without your friend's recommendation.

Nice, always good to have good connections to get the foot into the door. But the real test is if they're going to hire you (again) without your friend's recommendation.

True. That's why I'm waiting to build more material and perfect it! I told him it may be a few years before I have my setlist complete and mastered to perform and he said that is no problem. Focus on playing the guitar I'll get you in. Like you said getting re-hired comes down to me, which is why I'm not rushing into performing there for quick instant cash right now. I already have a full time income in the corporate world which I plan to leave once things take off.

Happy New Year to you and family as well!

For any of you who like to keep abreast (or two haha) of social media:

(Using a Fender Strat, the Legendary AX8 (which gets much love at least on this forum haha), and a pair of Redsound Elis 8 speakers).

I recently, got my new website up and running!

My website is still in it’s infancy…but a premonition of good things to come in the world of gigging!

Check it out!

https://adriandsouza.ml
The website looks great but I do agree with @ChristThePhone that you will have a hard time booking gigs based on your current YouTube material. To be brutally honest: I don’t believe someone will be booking you when you only play guitar parts of existing songs without having vocals and having no backing tracks. This is just my personal opinion, I could be absolutely wrong.

It’s great that you are so passionate about playing, and there is nothing wrong with dreaming but for now just keep on practicing and enjoying your hobby. Happy new year!

Please accept the constructive criticism offered above. We all can appreciate your enthusiasm and motivation, but I'm a third person here that believes something is lacking. Here are some quick thoughts after viewing your webpage and YT channel:

1. The webpage looks fantastic!
2. Your technique needs polishing. You need to really be able to impress.
3. You need vocals, drums, bass. There are a few ways to do this. You can team up with others or get really good at looping. If you are good enough at looping you may be able to do w/o vocals but you'll need some really good material.
4. I don't see much opportunity for a solo electric guitar performer for what you have described. Something like that would be more suited as an exhibition type gig (promotion of gear, etc.). I believe something like you have envisioned is really more suitable for a classical performer.

We're not trying to bring you down, just to offer good advice. It takes a lot of b@ll$ to put it on the line publicly like you have. Don't jump the gun though b/c you may damage your reputation if you are not fully prepared.

Keep at it and good luck!

There are ways to imitate an entire band on a single guitar. Just check out Luca Stricagnoli. But this takes years and years of practicing. If one wants to impress with just a single guitar you have to be really really good. Easier to play with a band (like me) or backing tracks.

Back
Top Bottom