For all you gigging with your AX8's!

I have two FRFR units (2 Headrush 108's). I wish to use one to play a backing track the other to play my music. Is this recommended? This wouldn't help with going to FOH regardless. What's the best way to setup backing tracks and do you need to bring a laptop with you to every gig if you want to use them?

I have two FRFR units (2 Headrush 108's). I wish to use one to play a backing track the other to play my music. Is this recommended? This wouldn't help with going to FOH regardless. What's the best way to setup backing tracks and do you need to bring a laptop with you to every gig if you want to use them?
You can send tracks and your guitar to both speakers in stereo.

You need to bring whatever device is playing the tracks to every gig if you want to use tracks at every gig.

You can send tracks and your guitar to both speakers in stereo.

You need to bring whatever device is playing the tracks to every gig if you want to use tracks at every gig.

What device do most people use (the simplest one) to play backing tracks through either a mono cab or stereo cabs and be able to set the volumes in accordance with the guitar's volume etc? I saw a great violin player using a laptop at every gig to initiate his songs (BT's) and then he'd play over them.

I want to pack the least amount of equipment with me and also something that's less likely to break or get stolen. Any favorite devices being used for BT's here on the forum? In general, what is the current consensus? Are most people playing the backing tracks out loud for the audience to hear or using them in your headphones, so only you hear them to perfect your timing?

Last edited:
We use a laptop with Ableton Live to run tracks, click track and cues. The click and cues are routed to the monitor board only, the tracks go to FOH and monitor board. We use in ear monitors so the click track is not heard. Tracks are mixed below the level of the band to provide support or energy depending upon the type of song.

You use your cellphone to feed both your frfr cabs and the PA system?
Send the tracks signal to the PA mixer, then the mixer sends signal to the audience speakers, on stage monitors, your full range speakers, or whatever is needed.

I think it’s difficult to give you the best suggestions because we seem to be using different hypothetical situations in your different threads. We can answer one way, but then “what about this” comes up. It’s impossible to give one answer that works for every situation, so the better you can describe the setup or venue, the better answers we can suggest.

Working with hypotheticals makes everything seem way more difficult than it really is. It’s great to be prepared for everything, but that means you’re bringing every piece of gear you could potentially need when all you really needed was a small bag of cables and your guitar, so to speak.

If you know the gig has no sound gear and you have to provide it all, that’s one answer. If the gig has a sound system with on stage monitors, that’s a different answer.

How many of you when gigging are constantly interacting with the audience, and how many of you when gigging prefer to stay in your own world and simply focus on playing? Is one method better than the other for success?

How many of you when gigging are constantly interacting with the audience, and how many of you when gigging prefer to stay in your own world and simply focus on playing? Is one method better than the other for success?
depends on the gig, what the venue wants, and what i want to do.

My band is a hobby for me and I don't need to make money so it's all about having fun together with the audience. This means first of all I have to be an entertainer and interaction is a must.

My band is a hobby for me and I don't need to make money so it's all about having fun together with the audience. This means first of all I have to be an entertainer and interaction is a must.

Sometimes keeping music as a hobby is the best. When things go pro sometimes it loses its appeal as it's about work, and getting paid by producers to work on their terms as opposed to having fun with it all. I like your attitude!

What do you recommend for people starting out gigging but who don't want to start at a ridiculous $100 a gig? Taking $5k equipment with me out to a $100 gig doesn't make sense when my equipment could be damaged by extreme weather conditions, dropped, or even stolen. Additionally, I could be harassed, assaulted or even killed if it's the bar scene late at night.

You can pay me $100 a gig if I bring out a $250 acoustic and sing. But I'm not doing that. I'm bringing out my AX8, guitar, and redsound speakers (Plus pole mounted monitor stands).

One gigger told me he does weddings and to expect $100-$150 for your first gig... Can this actually be true? How can musicians even make back the price of their equipment let alone a living on that kind of pay?

There must be a piece to this puzzle that I'm missing.

Last edited:
What do you recommend for people starting out gigging but who don't want to start at a ridiculous $100 a gig? Taking $5k equipment with me out to a $100 gig doesn't make sense when my equipment could be damaged by extreme weather conditions, dropped, or even stolen. Additionally, I could be harassed, assaulted or even killed if it's the bar scene late at night.

You can pay me $100 a gig if I bring out a $250 acoustic and sing. But I'm not doing that. I'm bringing out my AX8, guitar, and redsound speakers (Plus pole mounted monitor stands).

One gigger told me he does weddings and to expect $100-$150 for your first gig... Can this actually be true? How can musicians even make back the price of their equipment let alone a living on that kind of pay?

No one would be playing a wedding gig for just a couple of hundred bucks. It's more in the area of a couple of grands around here. Depends on the size of the band too.

$100 a gig per head is standard for typical bar, club and restaurant gigs for 3-4 hours of music. Average rate is usually $50 to $120 maybe for that.

It doesn’t matter what gear you bring - these kinds of venues aren’t paying you for what gear you have. They want music/sound from that part of the room and that’s the rate.

If you’re expecting $500 or more for your very first gig, you may be in the wrong industry.

Once you’re established you might be able to get a higher rate, but venue gigs typically have their budget set.

Special events usually have a higher rate and you can charge for sound gear separately, but these are more difficult because it’s usually a one time thing with a non-regular setup, longer setup and gig times, and usually special performance requests like songs, clothing, timing, etc. for weddings, they usually want you to setup before everyone gets there - say 3pm setup for a 5pm event start - and you close the night, so you’re tearing down at 10pm. So a high paying $500 special event gig is 8 or more hours of your time.

Special events and regular venue gigs are totally different things.

Maybe it’s surprising to hear that well-known bands at big concerts and festivals can get $300 - $800 per person. Headliners at these can get more, but only the biggest bands get more than $1000 per person even for a gig like that. I’m sure there are exceptions and every gig is different, but from what I’ve heard in the circuit, those are the going rates.

If your favorite radio band is doing a weekend festival for 100,000 people for $1000 for the entire band, I’m not sure I’d expect the same for 100 people at your local club. If you find that, you’re lucky.

Gear is gear. Bring what you need to communicate your message and perform how you want. A typical duo gig of mine, we are bringing at least $10k worth of gear, more if we need to bring our own sound. And we’ll get paid $100 each. To make a living doing music, we gig 5 times a week minimum, with most doing 7 - 10 gigs minimum.

If you want to match your gear with the pay rate, you’ll be bringing your acoustic only for a very, very long time if you’re just starting out.

Just like they say “dress for the job you want,” bringing the gear for the pay you want is how I approach things. Even for a $50 2 hour gig, I’ll bring my expensive guitar and axe setup because it’s my sound, and it sounds good, letting me perform how I want. This lets people know how good I can sound, and I’ll get new jobs from that representation.

Can you get high paying gigs with just an acoustic and a mic? Sure, but you better sound really, really good. If you’re not the best, bringing gear that will supplement your sound can go a long way.

Venues don’t care how long we’ve practiced and how much our gear costs. They have a need and a set budget. Your job is to fill that need. If you don’t want to do it, there are others that will.

Booking agents take a cut of the pay. Good agents will negotiate their fee on top of the band pay. Average agents take it from your pay.

Getting your own gigs at established places is more challenging unless you sound good and have a reputation or great press kit.

Most of the good venues will work with a booking agent. You’ll have to approach the agent to get into their system, and then you can play whatever venues they have.

If you’re just starting out, I’d recommend seeking out the venue you want to play first, rather than just trying to advertise yourself in general. Find a place where the atmosphere matches your style of performance.

I prefer gigs where I’m background music, rather than the highlight of the night. Way easier and less stress and performance. This means restaurants and some bar gigs. I don’t call out people during the night, I don’t single out people eating to make a conversation to get the attention on me. I just play song after song. This is my approach.

I bring gear that sounds good, I EQ to the room and cut some mids to allow them to hear their table conversations easily, yet at the same time the music sounds full and comfortable. When many are done with their meal, I’m still playing but they walk by and give a tip and say “you sound great thanks!”

For a 3 hour gig, I prefer to play it straight through, no breaks. This is for solo or duo acoustic style gigs. Taking a break can stop the energy and flow I’m creating with the songs and order I choose, and you have to get off the stage , turn on the house music, stand around for 15 minutes with no where to go, then put it all back to perform again. There are some venues I definitely take the breaks because of the situation.

This is just my approach. For my kinds of gigs, it works well. Management is usually happy and the audience is too. All for $100 - $200 per gig. I just try to not be “that guy” who is needy or belligerent on stage. Venue managers have the musician duties added on top of their customer complaints, food expediting, bathroom breaking, employee issues, equipment problems, etc. managers at my gigs know they just need to turn off the house music once and for the rest of the night they don’t need to worry about me. I’ve been told several times at different venues they appreciate what I do and it’s a relief when it’s me that night.

Can you get high paying regular gigs? Sure but they are rare. For your first gigs, be lucky to be paid at all unless you have a product that is already at the level of their established performers.

It is unlikely that you will get $500 or more for your very first gig with no experience and no following or reputation in the gig circuit.

Last edited:
$100 a gig per head is standard for typical bar, club and restaurant gigs for 3-4 hours of music. Average rate is usually $50 to $120 maybe for that.

It doesn’t matter what gear you bring - these kinds of venues aren’t paying you for what gear you have. They want music/sound from that part of the room and that’s the rate.

If you’re expecting $500 or more for your very first gig, you may be in the wrong industry.

Once you’re established you might be able to get a higher rate, but venue gigs typically have their budget set.

Special events usually have a higher rate and you can charge for sound gear separately, but these are more difficult because it’s usually a one time thing with a non-regular setup, longer setup and gig times, and usually special performance requests like songs, clothing, timing, etc. for weddings, they usually want you to setup before everyone gets there - say 3pm setup for a 5pm event start - and you close the night, so you’re tearing down at 10pm. So a high paying $500 special event gig is 8 or more hours of your time.

Special events and regular venue gigs are totally different things.

Maybe it’s surprising to hear that well-known bands at big concerts and festivals can get $300 - $800 per person. Headliners at these can get more, but only the biggest bands get more than $1000 per person even for a gig like that. I’m sure there are exceptions and every gig is different, but from what I’ve heard in the circuit, those are the going rates.

If your favorite radio band is doing a weekend festival for 100,000 people for $1000 for the entire band, I’m not sure I’d expect the same for 100 people at your local club. If you find that, you’re lucky.

Gear is gear. Bring what you need to communicate your message and perform how you want. A typical duo gig of mine, we are bringing at least $10k worth of gear, more if we need to bring our own sound. And we’ll get paid $100 each. To make a living doing music, we gig 5 times a week minimum, with most doing 7 - 10 gigs minimum.

If you want to match your gear with the pay rate, you’ll be bringing your acoustic only for a very, very long time if you’re just starting out.

Just like they say “dress for the job you want,” bringing the gear for the pay you want is how I approach things. Even for a $50 2 hour gig, I’ll bring my expensive guitar and axe setup because it’s my sound, and it sounds good, letting me perform how I want. This lets people know how good I can sound, and I’ll get new jobs from that representation.

Can you get high paying gigs with just an acoustic and a mic? Sure, but you better sound really, really good. If you’re not the best, bringing gear that will supplement your sound can go a long way.

Venues don’t care how long we’ve practiced and how much our gear costs. They have a need and a set budget. Your job is to fill that need. If you don’t want to do it, there are others that will.

Booking agents take a cut of the pay. Good agents will negotiate their fee on top of the band pay. Average agents take it from your pay.

Getting your own gigs at established places is more challenging unless you sound good and have a reputation or great press kit.

Most of the good venues will work with a booking agent. You’ll have to approach the agent to get into their system, and then you can play whatever venues they have.

If you’re just starting out, I’d recommend seeking out the venue you want to play first, rather than just trying to advertise yourself in general. Find a place where the atmosphere matches your style of performance.

I prefer gigs where I’m background music, rather than the highlight of the night. Way easier and less stress and performance. This means restaurants and some bar gigs. I don’t call out people during the night, I don’t single out people eating to make a conversation to get the attention on me. I just play song after song. This is my approach.

I bring gear that sounds good, I EQ to the room and cut some mids to allow them to hear their table conversations easily, yet at the same time the music sounds full and comfortable. When many are done with their meal, I’m still playing but they walk by and give a tip and say “you sound great thanks!”

For a 3 hour gig, I prefer to play it straight through, no breaks. This is for solo or duo acoustic style gigs. Taking a break can stop the energy and flow I’m creating with the songs and order I choose, and you have to get off the stage , turn on the house music, stand around for 15 minutes with no where to go, then put it all back to perform again. There are some venues I definitely take the breaks because of the situation.

This is just my approach. For my kinds of gigs, it works well. Management is usually happy and the audience is too. All for $100 - $200 per gig. I just try to not be “that guy” who is needy or belligerent on stage. Venue managers have the musician duties added on top of their customer complaints, food expediting, bathroom breaking, employee issues, equipment problems, etc. managers at my gigs know they just need to turn off the house music once and for the rest of the night they don’t need to worry about me. I’ve been told several times at different venues they appreciate what I do and it’s a relief when it’s me that night.

Can you get high paying regular gigs? Sure but they are rare. For your first gigs, be lucky to be paid at all unless you have a product that is already at the level of their established performers.

It is unlikely that you will get $500 or more for your very first gig with no experience and no following or reputation in the gig circuit.

After hearing this all out I've decided to protect my $10k of equipment and keep music my passion while I draw my income from the corporate world where they pay me $30/hr just to SHOW up.

I really thought that if I was to bring $6k of equipment with me I'd be paid at least $1000 for that night.

I will continue to practice music for the love of it and to perfect my talent and interests. It's a lot more exciting to play a rock song than to balance cheques.

If I perform live I will do it for volunteer businesses maybe for a good cause or to get the media to recognize me. Perhaps, having a good name is good karma and other good things will happen to me.

Incidentally, if you showed up for a $100 gig and you were held up in the parking lot with a gun and some badasses stole all 10k of your equipment what would you do?

I really thought that if I was to bring $6k of equipment with me I'd be paid at least $1000 for that night.
This is absolutely not realistic, especially just starting out.
Incidentally, if you showed up for a $100 gig and you were held up in the parking lot with a gun and some badasses stole all 10k of your equipment what would you do?
The same thing I’d do if I showed up for a $10,000 gig and got held up with a gun.

This is absolutely not realistic, especially just starting out.

The same thing I’d do if I showed up for a $10,000 gig and got held up with a gun.

If you're making 10k a night you'd be making enough money to not care if 10k of equipment gets stolen.

If you're making $100-$500 that's altogether different. You're not making enough money to cover the liabilities.

Back
Top Bottom