Foot controller with integrated displays, good usability and support

The MFC-101 is the perfect companion for the Axe-Fx.

If you're looking for multiple displays, even more configurability and top support, and can afford it, go RJM.
The RJM MM GT is a fantastic controller, and gets even better all the time.

Which would be the better controller, the RJM or the LF?

It depends on your needs.
For me, the RJM MMGT-16 is the perfect size and number of buttons.
Based on the quality of the unit, the feature set, the software editor and the support I received from Ron, RJM is the better controller for me.

Not sure, buy both and try them side by side.

Last edited:
Which would be the better controller, the RJM or the LF?

Can't comment on the RJM, but I'm perfectly happy with my LF+ Pro+

The colored LCD's, 2 functions on 1 button and using 2 buttons instead of an expression pedal are only a few of the many brilliant functionalities I admire on the LF+

Can't comment on the RJM, but I'm perfectly happy with my LF+ Pro+

The colored LCD's, 2 functions on 1 button and using 2 buttons instead of an expression pedal are only a few of the many brilliant functionalities I admire on the LF+

+1

I have and LF+ JR+ and think it is great overall. Does everything you could want. Figuring it out was the hardest part because it can do so many things it's rather complex. FAMC would be wise to spend more time working on quick start guides and templates to help people get started easily and to see the power of the unit.

RJM forum has at least me, yek and rain to help out. :) the text is bigger on the RJM as well and "higher resolution" if you wanna call it that.

Reactions: yek
+1

I have and LF+ JR+ and think it is great overall. Does everything you could want. Figuring it out was the hardest part because it can do so many things it's rather complex. FAMC would be wise to spend more time working on quick start guides and templates to help people get started easily and to see the power of the unit.
Yeah, sort of what I wrote.

But in way less words.

And LF Forum has Rodney. Who has been curiously absent from this thread...

Im very intrigued by LF new product, that is comming out soon. Wireless, huge high resolution displays, battery packs. Should be awesome when it finally comes out.

Im very intrigued by LF new product, that is comming out soon. Wireless, huge high resolution displays, battery packs. Should be awesome when it finally comes out.

I'm hopeful, too. But if ordinary users can't use it, it may not matter as much what those cool new gizmos are.

For me it is not a big problem to program LF. Sure, there is a lot of stuff i don't use, but i was able to program everything i needed.

I think most of my problems were from:
1- one or two bugs that have been ironed out. Every button on the LF can have two functions. I wanted one for short press and one for long. However when I long-pressed the button the functions swapped place. Even though I had programmed them to only trigger and not toggle and process scrolls were off. Hours of trying, figuring, coming to understanding of what Jeff meant in his video's and in the helpballoons on the switches and still not getting it fixed. Finally that firmware update fixed it. That scarred me. Put me off trying anything new for months.
2- the sheer enormity of options in the editor. Rows and columns of switches which make it quite an impressive sight. Somewhat like a mixing board, but on a mixing board I know what most knobs do and how they relate. On the LF editor there's much that I don't know EXACTLY what it's for. I want to know EXACTLY, because otherwise it may do something different than I think and that makes me uneasy. That impression also puts me off messing with the LF. I have a slightly problem-evading personality as we call them in Holland.

I'm now busy programming it for songs and setlist mode and there is no info on how to do that other than a number of posts on the forum by mostly Rodney. It takes some searching and figuring stuff out and that is timeconsuming. Stuff one needs to figure out up front, otherwise one has a lot to adapt if one wants to fit something in afterwards.
Funnily the RJM video on their editor is really useful to help me stay out of the way of the options I don't need. Yet.

The LF and RJM really are quite alike. Just there is much more you can program in the LF, which is not always a good thing.
;).
Although in the RJM video advanced editing is mentioned, so there may be more but I don't know what.

The whole IA-maps thing the LFs have doesn't seem to be there in the RJM. That's an entire layer of complexity that's absent! On the LF one can define 180 slots (buttons) which can be arranged per 60 in a map, which can used to arrange the buttons on a page. Buttons can be arranged freely on a page, but can change functions by using a different map on that same page or by using a different page with the same map. Or by changing both.
So, you can use one page for several layouts by displaying another IA Map.

With all the different ways of interconnecting presets, IA's, maps and pages it can become a spiderweb of proportions and just figuring out how you want it is a task for me... And that puts me off as well.

But I'm doing it now anyway!!!

I just figured out I can name scene buttons per preset using IA labels. One can setup IA's (in my case the scene IA's) to use one of ten "Preset Labels", so they take their name on the page's button from the ten "IA labels" which are freely defined in the preset. This means you can use the same page and IA-slots/maps for different presets and have them display different names on those preset's scene buttons. They still call up the same IA slot, so the same functions, but scenes can do different things within Axe-Fx presets so now the names can differ as well. Brilliant!

Didn't see that in the RJM video.

Last edited:
The thing where most controllers go wrong is in the following:
- not enough presets
One place where the Gordius excels and it's a feature no other controller offers:
- variables
- conditional programming (if..the..else...)
Gordius does instant random access.
I have it set up for instant random bank access.
Turn on the "keypad" (10-key) and punch in a 3 digit number, viola...

I
The whole IA-maps thing the LFs have doesn't seem to be there in the RJM. That's an entire layer of complexity that's absent! On the LF one can define 180 slots (buttons) which can be arranged per 60 in a map, which can used to arrange the buttons on a page. Buttons can be arranged freely on a page, but can change functions by using a different map on that same page or by using a different page with the same map. Or by changing both.
So, you can use one page for several layouts by displaying another

With all the different ways of interconnecting presets, IA's, maps and pages it can become a spiderweb of proportions and just figuring out how you want it is a task for me... And that puts me off as well.

But I'm doing it now anyway!!!

I just figured out I can name scene buttons per preset using IA labels. One can setup IA's (in my case the scene IA's) to use one of ten "Preset Labels", so they take their name on the page's button from the ten "IA labels" which are freely defined in the preset. This means you can use the same page and IA-slots/maps for different presets and have them display different names on those preset's scene buttons. They still call up the same IA slot, so the same functions, but scenes can do different things within Axe-Fx presets so now the names can differ as well. Brilliant!

Didn't see that in the RJM video.

Lmao, I didn't understand most of that hehe. Personally, I'd rather just use a different page instead of making the same page change things... Or whatever haha. Seems too confusing.

Lmao, I didn't understand most of that hehe. Personally, I'd rather just use a different page instead of making the same page change things... Or whatever haha. Seems too confusing.

Apparently you do understand! I guess there's some use for it. Maybe for people who need more pages...

I totally identified with what Dutch wrote! Right down to being intimidated into inactivity and not updating firmware after updates changed the way my "barely works" programming worked.

I use different pages already, but then it becomes a question of how to access individual pages/scenes, how/whether to manage the flow from one to another, and how to know where you are now, what pages are available via what buttons, etc.

I totally identified with what Dutch wrote! Right down to being intimidated into inactivity and not updating firmware after updates changed the way my "barely works" programming worked.

I use different pages already, but then it becomes a question of how to access individual pages/scenes, how/whether to manage the flow from one to another, and how to know where you are now, what pages are available via what buttons, etc.

Talk about confusing.
I don't see how Dutch could play music and operate his midi foot controller at the same time....

Mama always told me: (KISS) Keep it simple st**id
I have my RJM setup with 5 scenes per preset and it's a breeze to switch sounds during different sections of a song.
By the way, you can label scene buttons and have different scene labels for every preset, if that's what you want/need to do.

More power to ya bro if you can play live with that kind of a layout.

Talk about confusing. I don't see how Dutch could play music and operate his midi foot controller at the same time.... Mama always told me: (KISS) Keep it simple st**id I have my RJM setup with 5 scenes per preset and it's a breeze to switch sounds during different sections of a song. By the way, you can label scene buttons and have different scene labels for every preset, if that's what you want/need to do. More power to ya bro if you can play live with that kind of a layout.

What's a "preset" to you? How many presets do you use over the course of a gig? If your set list changes order, how do you know where to go to find the right preset for the next song?

I tend to set up my presets around an amp type, for example an ODS or a Trainwreck. If I have those two presets available as a button for immediate access, and those buttons are on the same bank, all is cool when I go from a Robben Ford-ish number to a ZZTop-ish one. But if I am on a bank for a song that doesn't use one of those amps, and I have to quickly find it because we are skipping to Tush, I don't want to fumble around for it. So I end up memorizing one setup and trying not to stray from it, but that limits me from doing some other things; for example, having presets for specific songs, so when we fire up Barracuda, it has dedicated scenes for the different sections of the song, and I can step through them.

FAMC finally showed a pic of the full new unit. There is some good stuff there, but no word on price point. I have to say, I personally would prefer a wider unit with two rows of 8 buttons over the 5/5/5/1 arrangement that he has which closely matches the old LF+ 12+. It can get really easy to trip the wrong buttons when reaching to the back rows on the 12+. Yet another usability issue that I wish someone would pay attention to, since ergonomics is an important aspect of usability.

Geez...I'm kvetching again.

Ok, the displays look nice!

What's a "preset" to you? How many presets do you use over the course of a gig? If your set list changes order, how do you know where to go to find the right preset for the next song?

I tend to set up my presets around an amp type, for example an ODS or a Trainwreck. If I have those two presets available as a button for immediate access, and those buttons are on the same bank, all is cool when I go from a Robben Ford-ish number to a ZZTop-ish one. But if I am on a bank for a song that doesn't use one of those amps, and I have to quickly find it because we are skipping to Tush, I don't want to fumble around for it. So I end up memorizing one setup and trying not to stray from it, but that limits me from doing some other things; for example, having presets for specific songs, so when we fire up Barracuda, it has dedicated scenes for the different sections of the song, and I can step through them.

That's a great question.
My main gig is playing worship on the weekends.
Most every week we have different songs, so I can't really configure my controller for a fixed set list.
Instead, I set it up with "5" Amps, which have "5" Scene's each and a reveal page where I can access the stomp boxes if necessary. (See images below)
What's cool is when I'm on the reveal page, I still can see and select any of my scenes for the amp I'm playing.
This covers all the different genres we play from Hillsong, to Jesus Culture, to Brewster and some more traditional songs.
As mentioned above, I could program/label different functions on the scenes buttons, but for my needs, keeping them in the same order for every amp is easier to use.

Main Page_1.1.jpg Pedal Page 1.1.jpg

Last edited:
FAMC finally showed a pic of the full new unit. There is some good stuff there, but no word on price point. I have to say, I personally would prefer a wider unit with two rows of 8 buttons over the 5/5/5/1 arrangement that he has which closely matches the old LF+ 12+. It can get really easy to trip the wrong buttons when reaching to the back rows on the 12+. Yet another usability issue that I wish someone would pay attention to, since ergonomics is an important aspect of usability.

Geez...I'm kvetching again.

Ok, the displays look nice!

Just saw the pic. Have to agree with you. I'm not a big fan of having to access the third row of switches during a performance.
The RJM GT-16 form factor is perfect for switching amps, switching scenes, setting the tap tempo and jumping to my reveal page since all that's accomplished with the first two rows of switches.

Back
Top Bottom