FOH

Don't think he's on a Kemper on this - I think that's a divided by 13 amp through an IR into the xitone cab.

Not really what I'd call an informative demo ..... but perhaps it's been made to embed in a post somewhere else where theres discussion around it.

What is the price of the Xitone open back cab? Does anyone know?

I wonder if Xitone also make a passive, as I have an amp (matrix fx800).

Sadly, the open back is only available as an active as the DSP in the amp allows for some driver protection measures.

oh.. and I do believe Michael is playing his AxeFx for this clip. I wanna say of the the CA models but it's been so long that I do not recall exactly.

Of course we are all hearing the open back cab as it was captured from a microphone, but I'm sure it does sound great "in the room" ;)

Joking aside (well kinda joking, there is a bit of truth there too), I've honestly found that a good FRFR speaker, with nice dispersion, can fill the room every bit as well as an open back cab came. When I was doing some A/B with a Fender DRRI, which is a 1x12 open back, and then seeing how close the DR model in the axe sound, coming out of my CLR, I didn't pick up any noticeable difference, at least where I was sitting, in a decent sized music room. The CLR filled the room with sound, just as the open back cab did. The CLR isn't the least bit beamy and spreads out so nice and evenly, I think it holds its own with an open-back cab in room sound easily.

I just find closed back gives a 'naisly' tone to the sound.
My open-back 1x12 cab has a closed-back option. As soon as I put in the panels to turn it into a closed back that naisly tone is there and I can't get rid of it - exactly the same naisly sound I get from my FRFR (Q12).

oh.. and I do believe Michael is playing his AxeFx for this clip. I wanna say of the the CA models but it's been so long that I do not recall exactly.
Really? he has been associated for so long with Kemper thru his (superb) profile collections that it is almost surprising that he has an AxeFx.

I think Mic prefers to discuss pricing on an individual basis cos much of his work is made-to-order. PM him.
Naa, to be honest I live in rip-off Britain, so even if the price was reasonable the price of shipping and import duty would probably double the cost :-(

I guess I wanted to jump in with my 2 cents..... here goes.

I personally made the switch to modeling for a number of reasons, however it boils down to essentially one.... being able to paint my canvas with as many tools that I could with room to grow as I learned (much of which was learned from this forum...just saying). So for me that meant the Axe-Fx as it just had the "best tone" IMO. Now this took getting used to.....

I am fully convinced that for me what helped mostly was dumping everything but the Axe-FX and going straight to FOH (using in-ear monitoring and buying a nice PA speaker (in my case a QSC K12.2) for home practice). This allowed my ears to eventually adjust to the difference between hearing a amp+cab vs Modeling to FOH. Overtime I have not come to miss the former and can really appreciate the latter(thanks Fractal team!!). I liken this to my enjoyment of wine (ok... no cork sniffing jokes...lol), it took time to develop. The same happened with the amp+cab sound as it took time for me to really hear the difference my Mesa had over a Egnater for example. Eventually I found the tone I liked and could appreciate the differences. What I found however is that I ended up with full blown case of GAS as I often liked to change AMP/Cab's as my tastes changed. The Axe-Fx has largely solved that for me.

My point is..... if you really want to go modeling go the full FRFR route and give it time for your expectations to acclimate. I have found that I have come to prefer the pure modeling route both for the tone AND the flexibility but it did take time and commitment to the "NEW" way. Sure an amp+cab sounds different but that reality is inherent in the system and I now prefer the modeling route. The above is how I got there.....

Have a super Fathers Day to all you fathers out there!!!

Boo Yaa.....

Today messing about at home I switched off my Cab sim unplugged my FRFR and connected up to a 1x12 real guitar cab wow it completely blew the matrix away, I just can't get the Q12 to even sound a bit similar - I thought I was getting somewhere with FRFR but obviously not.

So I'm going to use a real cab on stage and going via cab-sim to FOH - not having an engineer makes me worry that the sound out front is as flat and lifeless as what came out of the Q12.
Does anyone have any advice for a good FOH sound.
Used to have 2- Q12s and couldn't get what I wanted out of them. The band I'm in now plays thru Bose so I got an L1 for home and can get great sound out of it. If I were still looking, I would go with a 3 way powered cab.

I assume it's already been said to death, but - an FRFR shouldn't sound like a cab, they cannot sound alike because they are different, and do different things.

What will sound alike, is an FRFR and a traditional cab to the average punter in the crowd - because those things are alike.

You can't close-mic a cab and then play the result out of another speaker and have it sound like what you heard standing 3 metres from the blasting cab.

Reactions: ESW
Back
Top Bottom