FOH question

shayne202

Two scenarios:
1. Axe running direct
2. Axe into CLR. CLR to desk

Will these situations sound the same?

Reason i ask, is that if i have my sound set through the clr. Will that sound translate more accurately than going direct to FOH

I would have to say probably not. The CLR is a reference grade speaker and the majority of PA systems are not. That being said it would be far easer for the sound man to dial your tone in to the mix even with whatever the PA system is doing to your over all tone.

the CLR has a passthru is that what you are talking about or are you saying you want to mic the CLR?

don't use the passthrough anyway. use both sets of outs on the axe fx (out 2 set to echo out 1) and you'll be able to control your level on stage without affecting the level being sent to the desk

So is it better to dial you sound for FOH, or set it for monitors and let the sound guy tweak the FOH sound?

#1 be happy with your tone from your monitor.

if it's a fairly flat monitor your patches should translate. Let the sound guy do his job.

If they're passthrough connections then no, your should should remain the same regardless of the cabling schema that you decide on, but like the guy above said, you're limited in your adjustment of your onstage volume as a result, unless you manually adjust via the gain control on the back of the CLR.

You're much better off dedicating one output to FoH, so you can set and forget your level there, use the 2nd set of outputs for onstage monitoring so you can adjust if needed.

Then again, assuming my sound guy is competent, I'm pretty strict about 'don't touch amp volume during the show', so there's that to keep in mind.

I was curious if the sound coming out of the CLR (my final tweaked tone) would be the same sound as what would be going direct from the axe to foh.

I was curious if the sound coming out of the CLR (my final tweaked tone) would be the same sound as what would be going direct from the axe to foh.

It really depends on how they have FOH eq'd and setup. It could sound exact or it could sound completely different.

You'll never know unless you actually sit in FOH and listen. But creating your tone on any full range speaker is the closest you'll get to knowing.

I just wanna comment that this isn't a new "problem" due to digital units. When you mic a real amp rig, you run into the same exact issue. It's just that in smaller clubs and rooms, the stage volume is heard by the audience - because the real amp/cab needs to produce sound for a mic to pick up, there is stage volume. In professional large setups, the stage volume is barely heard if at all, so that is exactly the same situation as using a digital tone-generation product like the axe. The axe doesn't need to produce sound for tone to be created - but if you want stage volume, just add a speaker like you would with anything.

I've had people tell me all the time "I don't trust the sound guys with my tone, so I'd never give them an XLR from an axe-fx or digital modeler." Then the go right ahead and give them an XLR from a mic on their guitar amp - same, exact, thing.

Back
Top Bottom