FM9 unit background noise

JJ77

Hello everyone,

I have just received my new FM9 and after a couple of hours of testing, I must say that I am extremely impressed with the sounds.

I only have a small doubt. As soon as I turn on the unit, I hear a whistling sound in the background. It's almost imperceptible but it's a bit annoying when I'm not playing. It's often steady but sometimes follows the same rhythm as the tap tempo.

Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Thanks a lot to anyone who will want to help me understand.

Gian

Press the Tempo button on the front.

Check that Level for Metronome is 0.

Do you have any midi cables connected?

Do you have USB connected?

Does it stop if you disconnect them?

Midi cables can crosstalk with audio cables so it's best to make sure those cables are kept away from each other.

I seem to recall reading of someone having similar with USB.

1) Turn off the noise gate in the Input block. Now the noise should be more constant.

2) Now pull your guitar cord out of your FM9. What happens to the noise?

Thanks guys for your replies.

The noise is coming directly from the unit itself. Not the output.

Even with everything disconnected (except the AC source obviously) I can hear it.

It might be the fan. Can you tell if the fan is running when you hear it?

Might be a good idea to contact Fractal support.

Ok...so nothing to worry about? I know the fan is vital for the system but can I do something to limit this noise?

(I suppose that the fans are not in synch with the CPU load because I hear the noise even with an empty preset.)

Thanks in any case for your help.

Gian

Ok...so nothing to worry about? I know the fan is vital for the system but can I do something to limit this noise?

(I suppose that the fans are not in synch with the CPU load because I hear the noise even with an empty preset.)

Thanks in any case for your help.

Gian
They come on at boot time and should run briefly and then turn off assuming the internal temperature isn't too high.

There's a page in the global setup menu that's under Utility I believe. It shows the temperature.

Back
Top Bottom