FM9 S/PDIF NO SIGNAL???

Hi all, trying to reconnect FM9 to my apollo via S/PDIF using a Toslink to Coaxial converter but not getting any signal.
Could anyone help? Many thanks
Just for confirmation am I correct with my routing - Coax cable from FM9 SPDIF Out to converter, then toslink cable going to Optical IN on Apollo?

yup, that's it. did you go into the settings of the apollo and set digital in to spdif instead of adat?
Hi Simeon, yes Digital input and output are set to S/PDIF on console settings. Am I right in thinking that I don't need to adjust Sample rate and Clock source in Console as it should just auto convert?

i would set the sample rate in console to 48khz. try getting a lock by clicking where it says clock > internal and changing it to spdif

are you sure the converter is getting power? do you see the red light coming through the end of the toslink cable that you're plugging into the apollo?

Converter is getting power and I can see the red light at the end of the toslink. All cables are where they should be, when I change Clock to S/PDIF it flashes Red and still no signal.

Don't forget to coordinate your clock settings. Assuming you have audio going in both directions, if the Apollo is set to internal, then the FM9 needs to be set to spdif. Or, optionally, the other way around. After you get the clock set, then try to transmit audio. Make sure your spdif source is set to the correct output block on the FM9. You'll find some more details in the recording guide.

Ok so FM9 clock is set to S/PDIF and Apollo is set to Internal. S/PDIF source is set to output1 and still nothing. Out of curiosity I plugged in an XLR to output1 and signal straight away.

That confirms you are transmitting audio from the Apollo to the FM9. As an experiment to confirm audio is flowing in the other direction, switch the Apollo clock to spdif and the FM9 clock to internal. If that connection is working, you should still be able to hear audio on the FM9 XLR output. If you lose that XLR audio, that would indicate a spdif connection problem.

Well, there's your problem. It might be a bad cable or some other hardware failure. Are you sure you wouldn't rather use USB and avoid all this? :).

honstly, if it were me, i'd stick with spdif, otherwise you'll have to create an aggregate device with the apollo and you'll also miss out on using all the goodies that console has to offer. it's just one setting probably. either in the fm9 or in the apollo. did you get the fm9 used? maybe check the i/o settings, or do a system reset. happy to go through this a bit more with you. it's how i have my axe fx set up at the moment.

Last edited:
This is an older thread, but I thought I would post my experience with a similar problem in case someone else comes across this. I too had a problem getting my Apollo to receive a signal from my new FM9 using SPDIF. I tried almost everything to no avail. The Apollo just ignored the SPDIF signal from the FM9. Finally I decided to reload the UAD software and reboot. Suddenly my Apollo X8 picked up the FM9 and everything worked fine with no other changes.

Back
Top Bottom