FM9 Poweramp and cab

I'm not sure what you tend to have for FX, but I can get pretty soupy at times. It is my experience that if you want to push some air on stage, too much time-based effects is more harm than good. I usually get plenty of delay and 'verb coming off the back wall anyway. Plus maybe a bit of FOH in your monitor.

A wee bit of reverb or delay for ambience on the way to your onstage cab might be a good compromise.

In other news, my setlist next week includes Eagles, AC/DC, Due Lipa, and Metallica, among others. No one cab will do.

There are so many ways to look at this. I chose the CLR route as a way to stop bringing an amp+cab+rack. I like the idea of using the FRFR as a monitor wedge and letting FOH handle FOH. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. As with the advent of CDs (I'm dating myself strenuously here), people continued to use analog recording techniques for a decade before they adapted. Live sound is similar. I still get pushback when I want to send an XLR feed to FOH instead of them using a mic on my monitor. Also I bought an IEM, so I want to transition to me having no FRFR onstage.

For people who like to have a cab onstage, you're not alone. Pete Thorn makes a great case for having a modeler onstage that feeds FOH, plus a guitar cab that runs dry for overall feel and mechanical feedback to the guitar. That would be a reason for me to keep an FRFR wedge in addition to IEMs.

When I switched from a guitar cab onstage to FRFR, I spent some time tuning a CAB model to match my guitar cab. It worked pretty well for me, but since then, MANY great IRs have come out, and I love having access to different tones on the fly. So once I switched to IR, I found I preferred NOT having a particular cab tone.
Thanks buddy.

I'm not sure what you tend to have for FX, but I can get pretty soupy at times. It is my experience that if you want to push some air on stage, too much time-based effects is more harm than good. I usually get plenty of delay and 'verb coming off the back wall anyway. Plus maybe a bit of FOH in your monitor.

A wee bit of reverb or delay for ambience on the way to your onstage cab might be a good compromise.
interesting idea, I wonder how that can
be done keeping the effects after the cab block, maybe use stereo effects affecting left and right channel to different outputs?

interesting idea, I wonder how that can
be done keeping the effects after the cab block, maybe use stereo effects affecting left and right channel to different outputs?
I'd put a spare reverb or delay block in the onstage path, I rarely use all 4 blocks.

I'd put a spare reverb or delay block in the onstage path, I rarely use all 4 blocks.
Ah sorry I didn't mention I have an FM3. With an Axe Fx III and FM9 it wouldn't be a subject, but I guess that with a bit of intelligent tweaking many can be done.

Ah sorry I didn't mention I have an FM3. With an Axe Fx III and FM9 it wouldn't be a subject, but I guess that with a bit of intelligent tweaking many can be done.
Didn't expect that, this being the FM9 Discussion category.

Didn't expect that, this being the FM9 Discussion category.
The problem is me haha, but as after 10 years of frfr I'm willing to test a slightly different configuration I've been bench marking that subject on the forum. Thanks anyway!

Back
Top Bottom