FM9 Power Protection

Here's the thing, my FM3 has always been plugged into a UPS (sine wave). I don't know if this caused a problem, but I know we had a power outage at one point. That's when an existing issue with the USB port became more involved. Problems were intermittent, but finally became worse to the point where I had to send it in. We'll see what happens.
I would be surprised if the UPS is the cause. If it is a quality mainstream one they provide seemless surge protection and voltage regulation at a much more affordable price than a Furman with Voltage Regulation. All my high-end electronics (servers, networking equipment, computers, FM9, FM3) are all on UPS at home with no issue. Note: the voltage regulation only happens on the Battery+Surge outlets.

I would be surprised if the UPS is the cause. If it is a quality mainstream one they provide seemless surge protection and voltage regulation at a much more affordable price than a Furman with Voltage Regulation. All my high-end electronics (servers, networking equipment, computers, FM9, FM3) are all on UPS at home with no issue. Note: the voltage regulation only happens on the Battery+Surge outlets.
Yes, it was plugged into the battery+surge side. I have recently replaced the battery pack in it, but the battery capacity was not empty at the time I was having issues with my FM3. It's a CyberPower 1500PFCLCD.

Yes, it was plugged into the battery+surge side. I have recently replaced the battery pack in it, but the battery capacity was not empty at the time I was having issues with my FM3. It's a CyberPower 1500PFCLCD.
Problem was with a component just before the USB port.

Furman AC215-A. Two 120VAC outlets, surge protection, clean power conditioning, powers both my FM9 and an outboard stomp box, connected via wall wart. Fits under my Temple Audio Duo 24, additionally secured by Temple Audio bracket.

My Furman was connected to the FM9 via a modified 3-prong IEC/AC cable, so the the cable would fit through one of my Temple Audio access holes. If perhaps you have soldering ability, you can do this yourself, or pay a tech to help you wire a cable through. (My guitar tech/luthier buddy helped me with mine.) The power source of the Furman was a Temple Audio Micro IEC switch. The Furman stays switched on, the TA Micro powers the Furman on/off.
Could you share a picture of your setup? Sounds interesting!!

Curious-I use an APC Pro 1500 S for my fm9 and FM3 turbo at home. Do I really need an additional surge protector? Not an area I am familiar with.
Thanks

I think it depends on where you're playing. I used a double conversion online UPS when I played old clubs with terrible power because we'd experience spontaneous reboots, stuck midi notes, corrupt midi data, etc. Since I moved to vegas, I don't use any protection and have never had a problem.

The funniest incident was when we played the top of a parking garage and they wanted us to use a diesel generator that looked like it was from 1950. I refused, and insisted they run an extension cord from the building below for my rack. The bass player plugged into the generator, and nothing worked properly, not even his tuner.

Online UPS systems are the bees knees when it comes to power consistency, protection and isolation, but they are very expensive.

As for regular offline UPS systems, unless you've got a desktop computer or server plugged in that you need to keep powered up for a few minutes so you can properly shut it down, your money is better spent on a good power conditioner instead. Regular UPS systems often don't inherently offer any better filtering or protection against surges, especially with inexpensive ones. Their primary focus is on providing continuous power for a few minutes in the event mains power drops completely. Laptops are already battery powered and are largely immune to AC power issues. Audio gear doesn't need battery backup at all, so that money is better spent on a higher quality power conditioner which won't need regular battery replacement either.

Could you share a picture of your setup? Sounds interesting!!
DWtG3Y4.jpg

Sorry for the green light in the first image. The Furman AC215A sits central to the board. A separate 3' 3-prong/AC cable was cut, scavenged and reattached so as to to allow the 3-prong to connect to the FM9 while shrink-wrap insulation and electrical tape sealed the cut ends.

YVwwl37.jpg

The wire cage clamp is where the TA Micro Mains IEC connects to the Furman. The electrical taped 3-prong cable connects to the Furman, the passes through a TA large access port. Only wiring surgery was completed in order to connect to the FM9. The remaining Furman AC jack connects to the cherry-picked 9VDC rewired adapter. It's vital to know what length CTN barrel to invest in prior to doing any wiring. Took a little trial and error, but it tested OK with a multimeter continuity test before connecting.

OQMWY6G.jpg

You'll note that the Temple Audio board is a Duo 24 with just enough space towards the left margin for a Peterson Mini Strobo-Stomp tuner, and a tap switch that works either as momentary or latching.

The other end connects with the F>AC to the male AC cable on the near side of the Furman. The wiring surgery was needed to allow a wide enough port for the cable to pass through. The power switch to the Furman remains consistently on, and a Temple Audio Micro Mains Module turns power on/off flawlessly.

The remaining F>AC powers a 2-prong cherry-picked 9VDC adapter. Cherry-picked, in that the angle of the 2-prongs needed to be parallel to the board, and also that some surgery also needed be done to reduce the length of remaining wire extension. Peterson Mini Strobo Stomps are notorious for working exclusively with certain units, simply because the CTN barrels were either too short or too long for the Mini Strobo-Stomp. My only suggestion is to buy two separate adapters and brush up on your wiring soldering and continuity skills.

The reason I don't suggest buying Strobo-Stomp adapters is because their 2-prongs won't remain situated parallel regards the Furman. This glitch is a feature intrinsic solely to the Strobo-Stomp. One might find better results with alternate tuners. The reason I went to so much trouble with the Strobo-Stomp Mini was because Peterson is considered almost industry standard these days, and a lot of love and labor went into building my Duo 24. If you desire a quick and easy solution, this isn't it. Spend some time with your FM9 board build; I sincerely think with good planning and adequate time, you'll be happy with the results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom