FM9 MK 2 Turbo with Seymour Duncan PS170

guitarrob

I used this combo last night at band rehearsal and found the volume to be quite low compared to the volume I was getting with my Quad Cortex. I was running out of Output 3 straight into the PS170 using a Humbuster cable. The PS-170 is then running into an 8 Ohm Celestion Neo Creamback housed in a Matrix cab. The Quad Cortex output was set to -10 (instrument level) when I used that previously.

I'm starting to get the idea that Output 3 of the FM9, though the manual says it is "Unity Gain" is not instrument level. The level out of Output 3 appears to be quite low. Should I be using the boost on Output 3? If so, what sort of DB increase are you guys using? The whole thing is a little confusing. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I used this combo last night at band rehearsal and found the volume to be quite low compared to the volume I was getting with my Quad Cortex. I was running out of Output 3 straight into the PS170 using a Humbuster cable. The PS-170 is then running into an 8 Ohm Celestion Neo Creamback housed in a Matrix cab. The Quad Cortex output was set to -10 (instrument level) when I used that previously.

I'm starting to get the idea that Output 3 of the FM9, though the manual says it is "Unity Gain" is not instrument level. The level out of Output 3 appears to be quite low. Should I be using the boost on Output 3? If so, what sort of DB increase are you guys using? The whole thing is a little confusing. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Hi Guitarrob! I use a similar set up, albeit the MK1 Turbo, and into a 4x12, but I have no issues with level. Is your level3 output knob all the way up? Also check the output block levels, I try to keep them right around 0 for my usage... Good luck!

I use to deal with the same issue. Get an "xlr to 1/4" cable and use output 2 and that will work. OUT 3 is "quieter" by design. You can go to OUT 3 and crank or raise the level as well, but if i'm not mistaken you lose some of the secret sauce that goes to OUT 1 and OUT 2. Anyway, there's a couple of solutions and other will chime in. Give them a try and use what works best for you. Keep us posted :)

Output 3 level at around 4-5 db will give you a big boost and you still have plenty more if you need it, try it and get your level, but should be beating the hell out of a 1x12 at that point.

I use to deal with the same issue. Get an "xlr to 1/4" cable and use output 2 and that will work. OUT 3 is "quieter" by design. You can go to OUT 3 and crank or raise the level as well, but if i'm not mistaken you lose some of the secret sauce that goes to OUT 1 and OUT 2. Anyway, there's a couple of solutions and other will chime in. Give them a try and use what works best for you. Keep us posted :)

Thanks for the help guys. I experimented with using the boost on Output 3, and with about 6 additional DB Output 3 sounded close to the -10 setting on Output 1 volume wise, but sounded a bit different to me tonally (could be a placebo effect). Then I read in the FM9 manual that boost/pad achieves gain differently, so I believe you are right about losing some secret sauce. . If anybody can explain the difference, I’d like to know. Will try the XLR to TS cable method you suggested using Output 2.

Thanks for the help guys. I experimented with using the boost on Output 3, and with about 6 additional DB Output 3 sounded close to the -10 setting on Output 1 volume wise, but sounded a bit different to me tonally (could be a placebo effect). Then I read in the FM9 manual that boost/pad achieves gain differently, so I believe you are right about losing some secret sauce. . If anybody can explain the difference, I’d like to know. Will try the XLR to TS cable method you suggested using Output 2.
Boost/Pad doesn’t change signal level at all. It’s for optimizing signal-to-noise ratio. If you want more signal, turn up Level in the Output block.

Boost/Pad doesn’t change signal level at all. It’s for optimizing signal-to-noise ratio. If you want more signal, turn up Level in the Output block.
That’s what I meant, sorry, I was boosting by 6 DB in the Output 3 block in all of my presets. This morning, I took Dino334’s advice and bought a XLR to TRS cable and am now using Output 2 set to -10 into the PS170 (couldn’t find a long XLR to TS cable - wonder if this makes a difference in this set-up?)

Maybe I'm not understanding and missing, but what's the problem with adding the Out3 block and setting the level in the block to 20dB. From what I understand (and it's been posted before), that's unity gain. Then you can run the physical output knob of Out3 at whatever.
I run all my presets with the cab block last in the chain right before Out1 so I can run FRFR and FOH (Out2 is a copy of Out1). Out3 taps in right before the cab block (so the cab block doesn't color the physical cabinet)
I'm capable of running to FOH (Out1), stage monitors, and if I wanted from Out3 to a cab using my PS170.
Like I said, maybe I'm missing something...

Maybe I'm not understanding and missing, but what's the problem with adding the Out3 block and setting the level in the block to 20dB. From what I understand (and it's been posted before), that's unity gain. Then you can run the physical output knob of Out3 at whatever.
I run all my presets with the cab block last in the chain right before Out1 so I can run FRFR and FOH (Out2 is a copy of Out1). Out3 taps in right before the cab block (so the cab block doesn't color the physical cabinet)
I'm capable of running to FOH (Out1), stage monitors, and if I wanted from Out3 to a cab using my PS170.
Like I said, maybe I'm missing something...

The problem with this is that if you do add 20 db (I tried 18 DB boos) on the Output 3 block, it overdrives the preamp of my PS170, since the PS170 is expecting instrument leveI. According to the manual, unity gain is actually with the Output 3 being set to 0 with the hardware knob on the unit set to full. I read on the Wiki that instrument level out of Output 3 is approximately with 6 db of boost, but somehow, it sounds different to me than running out of Output 2 at instrument level. So at least for now, I find using Output 2 set to instrument level into the PS170 is the best solution.

The problem with this is that if you do add 20 db (I tried 18 DB boos) on the Output 3 block, it overdrives the preamp of my PS170, since the PS170 is expecting instrument leveI. According to the manual, unity gain is actually with the Output 3 being set to 0 with the hardware knob on the unit set to full. I read on the Wiki that instrument level out of Output 3 is approximately with 6 db of boost, but somehow, it sounds different to me than running out of Output 2 at instrument level. So at least for now, I find using Output 2 set to instrument level into the PS170 is the best solution.
I actually run my OUT 2 at +4 into my PS200 and/or Matrix (depending on what rig I’m running) and have had no problems. This gives me a lot of room and power on tap.

I actually run my OUT 2 at +4 into my PS200 and/or Matrix (depending on what rig I’m running) and have had no problems. This gives me a lot of room and power on tap.

Interesting. Will try Out 2 at +4 today. On my Matrix GT-1000, I believe I used to run +4 into that as well. The Matrix had lots of headroom from what I remember.

I run OUT3 @+20dB with a Seymour Duncan PS170 without problems. Out3 knob is roughly at 50%, I dial in the amps that I get ~0dB shown as output level when using the levelling tool of FM9 edit.

I run OUT3 @+20dB with a Seymour Duncan PS170 without problems. Out3 knob is roughly at 50%, I dial in the amps that I get ~0dB shown as output level when using the levelling tool of FM9 edit.
Same here. I hit 0dB on either Out1 going to FOH or Out3 going to power amp and cab. I always use FRFR and FOH, but Out3 is there and ready if I need it.
I tried explaining that earlier in the thread, but I'm not sure that's going to work in the OP's case. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is there a particular reason that you are using OP3?

Back
Top Bottom