FM9 is on my desk, how can use looper ?

DGD

this is my setup and I am trying to figure out how can I use looper functions without moving the FM9.
I have FS-7 foot switch and also boss rc500 (but I want to sell the boss rc500 unless it is going to make big difference)
Is that possible to control looper with FS-7?
Should I keep RC-500 do I need with fractal?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1020CB90-F6F5-4D99-82B3-4AACEE33B37E.jpeg
    1020CB90-F6F5-4D99-82B3-4AACEE33B37E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
On the FM9, go to SETUP > FC Controllers/Onboard switches > page Stand-In Switches.
Select a layout and a button you want to use with the FS-7 switch.

Go to the button in the layouts and add Tap and Hold functions, in this case category Looper, for example the functions:
tap: Play/Stop
hold: Record

Reactions: DGD
It would be different having the record on a hold. It would start on the release instead of the press. It’s doable though. The FAS looper is pretty basic but it’s a great tool for quick jams or making adjustments. Depending on how you do your looping you might want to keep your Boss.

Just to comment about your question on the FC-500:

If you need multi track loops, stored loops, etc then keep it and integrate it with your FM9. The Fractal looper is a good basic looper, but it lacks a number of features that heavy looper uses often use.

My 18 year old son does a lot of looping combining keyboards, acoustic and electric guitars, and vocals.

I just loaned him my FM3 and integrated his mic, keyboard and FM3 into his RC-300 which then feeds a pair of KRK monitors.

I'd have to agree with @unix-guy....Fractal's looper is a bare minimal one-track looper. If you're into serious looping, you'd want a separate device that has multiple tracks. Keep the Boss...it blows away Fractal's looper.

If you need multi track loops, stored loops, etc then keep it and integrate it with your FM9. The Fractal looper is a good basic looper, but it lacks a number of features that heavy looper uses often use.
Yes. A dedicated looper was designed specifically for that purpose.

Cliff said ‘long time ago…
"Loopers have unique hardware requirements, i.e. lots of memory. General-purpose guitar processors like the Axe-Fx don't need the amounts of memory that loopers require and adding that memory for a single effect would increase costs, probably considerably. Furthermore the processors used in products like the Axe-Fx are limited in the amount of memory they can address. The DSP used in the Axe-Fx III is the most powerful commercial DSP available but it's still limited in its memory address space. Also, most loopers trade off bit-depth and sample rate for loop time. Therefore you're unlikely to ever find a multi-effect that has the loop time and features as a dedicated looper. If I were to make a dedicated looper I probably wouldn't use a DSP but something like an ARM with a lot of external address space. There isn't really much audio processing required, it's mostly memory access." [1]
That particular thread is interesting reading.

Back
Top Bottom