FM9 / FM3 desktop stand game changer for my workflow!

ectoplasm88

Inspired
I picked up one of these stands a couple of weeks ago specifically for my FM3. My bandmates are currently borrowing/fighting over my FM3 so I hadn't gotten around to trying it yet. This afternoon I decided to try it with my FM9 and I was VERY happy with the results. Using it this way doesn't line up with the cutouts for the feet but it still holds the FM9 perfectly! The smaller footprint that aligns with the FM3 actually makes this work with my FM9 where a larger footprint wouldn't work when I want it off to the side. Well, it might work but I have a lot more flexibility. In the photos you'll see the FM9 is actually hanging over the edge of the desk when placed to my left side. It's really great because I still have total access to my patch bay and audio interface when I have my desktop configured this way. The height and angle also work really well when I use my keyboard riser and put the monitor up when I want to stand. I've got 4 configs now that feel really natural and the FM9 is my workhorse so it's really what I want to be able to sit on my desk when I'm not rehearsing. This is also saving me reconfiguring my desk to accommodate my FXIII. I've basically been wanting some hardware in a very easy to interact with location so I can spend more time on the hardware editing and easily tweak with the software in tandem.

Here are some shots of my various configs. Probably the config I'll use most is straight on sitting:
FM9-sit-front.jpgThen straight on standing
FM9-standf-front.jpgAnd when I want a sidecar config
FM9-sidecar.jpg

Pretty versatile and definitely brought me joy today! I dig purpose built solutions but this is also obviously a good all around desktop stand I'll use for various pieces of hardware. I purchased this from a forum vendor here if anyone finds this of interest https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-angle-mount.182707/ .

I think the desktop stand is a great idea for folks who need to keep their stuff close-at-hand. My desk doesn't support a monitor that sits on the 2nd tier (eyeglasses are progressives that don't focus well angled upwards), But with a deeper or wider desk, it'd be totally possible.

Viewing your setup now has given me pause...might be able to do away with my separate weighs-a-ton Mid-Atlantic furniture rack unit and simply place my stereo receiver and Monster PRO 2500 to either side, behind my monitor between the shelf tiers...only downside is that I'd still need a place for my laser printer...might be able to make use of my cinder block bookcase space....hmmm...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom