FM9 Firmware Version 8.00

Also, still not possible to add tempo to setlists, which leaves the setlist pretty much useless.

After all the enthusiastic reports here, I am pretty disappointed by this update.
I don't mean to pick on your post - part of the sound improvements we all hear could be confirmation bias because we WANT an update to improve sound. But when I try out updates at home and then at a loud gig, if it feels good, it is good. And it's definitely feeling better over time, whether that's because I'm more and more used to modeling after 4 years of constant use or because I get more and more compliments on my tone when I play out.

For the setlists, while that would be useful, how would loading the song from setlist temporarily override the per-preset tempo? Or maybe would it set the global tempo on song load?

Either way - if your songs in the setlist are based on similar presets, like variations on an "anchor" preset, why not make separate versions of that preset with correct tempo for each song plus specific effects? That's what I've done and it works well. I get all the main sounds I want in one and then duplicate it so I get exactly what I need for that timed delay, or that synth lead in Bad Touch. This is a bit more work but it feels appropriate preparing for a 3-set show

I had not updated mine since the first of the year when 6 came out. I can tell you I hear positive differences going all the way up to 8.
same. just updated fr fw6 to fw8 two nights ago. didnt put down the gtr til 3am after having not played for 2 months. (thumb issue). the beast needed to be fed so to speak.

ive got to say im absolutely head over heels in love w this update. to me, the tones just sound more authentic; less tweaking than i would usually do.

i did however notice, if i was making changes, the most common two were increasing amp levels to get my volumes up to 0 in the preset leveling tool. the other was slightly reducing some treble (either w the treble knob or by reducing the bright caps)

great job fractal team. you are very much appreciated!

same. just updated fr fw6 to fw8 two nights ago. didnt put down the gtr til 3am after having not played for 2 months. (thumb issue). the beast needed to be fed so to speak.

ive got to say im absolutely head over heels in love w this update. to me, the tones just sound more authentic; less tweaking than i would usually do.

i did however notice, if i was making changes, the most common two were increasing amp levels to get my volumes up to 0 in the preset leveling tool. the other was slightly reducing some treble (either w the treble knob or by reducing the bright caps)

great job fractal team. you are very much appreciated!
Same here, I had had to level set my presets after the update, seems like some of the scene volumes were lower, especially on dirty sounds. Same on the treble, I do that all the time , this thing is brighter in most instances than my tube amps on the same cabinet.

updated my FM9T to the lastest version over the long weekend... FracPad no longer connects. Anyone else having this issue?

This video builds on the preset I made with the latest FM3 firmware and showcases some of the fun new toys in this FM9 firmware.

Yo not sure why, but the section before the "foot switch layout" section is titled "HQ Reverb" I think that is a typo!

Updated yesterday and noticed some changes in tones....especially the overdrive tone on Fender amps being more saturated and warmer. I spent a couple of hours re-tweaking 9 of my pre-sets to adjust gain, MV, tone controls to dial them in better for this firmware. In the process I was really amazed at how much more responsive these amp and drive models are now. Super dynamic and expressive. Loving it. This system just keeps sounding better and better.

Having spent several years with the Helix previously...in contrast, their updates never change the tone of the existing models. They're mainly focused on adding new models. The benefit is that you never have to re-tweak you existing presets after a firmware update but...then again....the fundamental sound of the system never improves much so they're just falling further behind. I've played with some of the new models and they were improvements in some ways but...not enough to compensate for the stagnation of the earlier models.

When I updated from fw 6 to 7, I thought I heard a marked improvement. This update , I had my back up unit still on 7 so I could A/B between the two fm9 units. All my presets sounded better in 8. The ability to use the guitar vol to roll back a bit for less breakup was also obviously improved too. It’s very cool to have a device that keeps getting better. Thanks fas team!

Super exciting! Thank you Fractal. I am always bragging about FAS, especially to guys using other tools such as Helix. You guys are the best.

The envelope filter is really great!
Whenever i am jamming at home with some random backingtracks on youtube, i always find myself putting this on the grid. It is always fun, whether playing clean solo, triads, or higain leads... it makes it so tasty! Lovin' it!

It’s really good. Looks like there has already been a substantial update to the envelope filter which appears in the new FX III firmware update. I hope this trickles down to the FM9 soon! I’d also like to know the detail of what was altered.

Are the v7.0 the newest presets (It is on the website but I did not know there were versions for the betas)?
I did a factory reset after a hang and wanted to make sure I am using the most resent preset list.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom