FM9 Firmware Version 8.00

Quick question. I've been installing the betas all along. When the final release came out, Fracbot showed that there was new firmware and dynacabs. However, after installing the firmware and going back to Fracbot, it didn't show that new dynacabs were available anymore. So, am I good to go or show I reinstall the dynacabs?
You're good to go. You installed the new dyancabs when you started testing the betas. The note is for people coming from a previous, non-beta release.

Mine has been on the shelf for the last 3 or 4 months and before that mainly for recording. I was on FW 6 and decided to check on this a couple of weeks ago, installed FW7 and now FW8 and I am blown away by this. FW 6 sounded good but FW 8 sounds so good on amps that are breaking up or distorting. The amps sound wonderful, the dynamics and the clean up when backing off the volume. I am very attracted to the Morgan AC20 presets I have and the new Brilliant amp model.

I have been playing this through my PS100 and a 1x12 cab with an Alnico Cream and it just sounds so good. Very much amp in the room now. We are truly getting to the point where this unit can rival real amps. I know this setup colors the sound to the amp and speaker but that is part of the amp in the room experience.

Now I need to try it with my FR12.

Last edited:
Hey guys what is the method to update all presets on the fractal for the new firmware so it doesn't have to load all the definitions every time it loads?
Presets have nothing to do with that...

Definitions are loaded when the editor detects a new firmware version.

It always scans presets and user IRs on startup so it knows what's on the unit.

You can disable that in the editor... But you may get confused later when things get out of sync.

I had to make some pretty drastic changes. I’m not in front of the unit now, but from what I can remember, here’s where I left off (values are APPROXIMATE):

Peak: 3.5
Low freq: 100/min
High freq: 3200
Sensitivity: 8
Sweep shape: 3
Open/close speed (I don’t remember the parameter name): 15, 150
These settings are very good. Close to where I landed matching my Micro-Tron I use the jam band.

I run it with the detector source set to Input 1 and find a ton of variance can be pulled out of the block just adjusting my guitar's volume, tone and my attack. Much like the real thing!

I also set the two pan knobs to the center.
Why? That'll collapse any stereo field in to the block to mono. With a mono input it shouldn't make a different where you set these.

Very nice update, haven't had the time to play the guitar all that much (great weather for motorcycle riding lately), but now that it has rained some I finally got around to playing again. Really really good stuff, and I like the CPU2 meter. But I like meters in general, so that's probably why.

Thanks to all involved!

Why? That'll collapse any stereo field in to the block to mono. With a mono input it shouldn't make a different where you set these.
I have the filter block first in chain, setting these both to the center definitely makes a difference in sound, to me it sounds more 'effected' maybe a little deeper sounding. Bad adjectives, I know.
I'm wrong...ignore the idiot
Very nice update, haven't had the time to play the guitar all that much (great weather for motorcycle riding lately), but now that it has rained some I finally got around to playing again. Really really good stuff, and I like the CPU2 meter. But I like meters in general, so that's probably why.

Thanks to all involved!
CPU2 meter?

Last edited:
These settings are very good. Close to where I landed matching my Micro-Tron I use the jam band.

I run it with the detector source set to Input 1 and find a ton of variance can be pulled out of the block just adjusting my guitar's volume, tone and my attack. Much like the real thing!

I am actually a bit confused why there are any pan controls at all for this filter. I'm running it in an all-mono preset (getting things dialed in with my FRFR instead of the Genelecs).

CPU2 meter?

As far as I know, that's only visible when you're overloading the CPU that is running Reverbs and Delays.

Where are you seeing it?
On a preset when adjusting the settings for a reverb block (the only one in the preset). Shows a yellow meter that says "CPU2 37.5%". Shouldn't really be overloading it at those numbers?

This is on device, not FM9 Edit.

On a preset when adjusting the settings for a reverb block (the only one in the preset). Shows a yellow meter that says "CPU2 37.5%". Shouldn't really be overloading it at those numbers?

This is on device, not FM9 Edit.
Interesting... I'll have to take a look.

I haven't seen any mention of this is any release notes or in private beta discussions.

I am actually a bit confused why there are any pan controls at all for this filter. I'm running it in an all-mono preset (getting things dialed in with my FRFR instead of the Genelecs).
There's no block diagram for the filter in the blocks guide, probably because it's so simple, but it's a stereo block.

We probably need an updated block diagram here to understand how the envelope filters work with the left and right channels. Are they independent:? Left channel triggers a filter envelope on the left side, right on the right. Or is a sum of left and right in to the detector?

In any case, the filter block has always been stereo so no surprise here the envelope mode would be stereo.

I have the filter block first in chain, setting these both to the center definitely makes a difference in sound, to me it sounds more 'effected' maybe a little deeper sounding. Bad adjectives, I know.
It's likely just a result of the summing of the left and right channels making the output of the block higher when you center the pan controls. Someone will be along shortly to correct me, but I believe the difference between hard panned and centered here would be +6 dB when the controls are centered.

So, not "more effected", just louder at the block output. You could leave the pans hard left and right and just put the output at 6 dB and it should be equivalent.

Though, I must say, on my mono setup here, I heard no volume or tonal differences panning or centering these controls. Will check with a meter in a bit though.

It's likely just a result of the summing of the left and right channels making the output of the block higher when you center the pan controls. Someone will be along shortly to correct me, but I believe the difference between hard panned and centered here would be +6 dB when the controls are centered.

So, not "more effected", just louder at the block output. You could leave the pans hard left and right and just put the output at 6 dB and it should be equivalent.

Though, I must say, on my mono setup here, I heard no volume or tonal differences panning or centering these controls. Will check with a meter in a bit though.
Nope you're right, I think I just tricked myself when A/Bing. I just recorded the looper into the filter block in my daw and swapped between the two and couldn't tell a difference.

Back
Top Bottom