FM9 Firmware Version 7.00

Thanks for the advice. That’s a pretty aggressive cut! I’ll give it a shot tonight. :)
750 Hz is just a starting point. The rest of his post says to back it off from there until it sounds right.

Exactly as Rex said. I said 750 so you hear the difference right away. On my Tucana Lead preset i use for church i'm pretty positive my gained out rhythm sound has the input eq around 650 or 700hz.

Just installed it! Man it kept loosing USB connection and halting the process during the firmware download to device. Scary!

I currently use FW 5.1. Can I still use FM9Edit FW 1.02.10? I'm currently on 1.02.09.

I do not want to upgrade to FM9 FW 6.0 or 7.0 just yet.

I just want to make sure FM9Edit FW 1.02.10 is compatible with FM9 FW 5.1.

Yes, I had used Edit 1.02.10 with FW v5.1

I updated from FW 5.1 to 7.0 yesterday and had no issues; everything sounds great. I've been gigging regularly which is why I had not installed FW 6, but it was time to get current, and I have a couple weeks with no gigs. I expected an increase of approx 4% CPU with v7 (v6 as well), and I do observe this after upgrade. I have a few "kitchen-sink" presets with a couple scenes that now push 84%, so I'll be tuning those today. All in, I'm very happy with this update. Thanks again to FAS for stellar work!

Weird new issue after updating:
I normally use In 2 on presets since my wireless stays on In 1.. never had issues but now when booting with my presets with IN 2 it’s sporadically finding my guitar signal and other times doesn’t. The tuner strobes from B to B.

If I touch my cable it will give the ground sound on occasion but just started after update. For now using IN 1.

I updated FM9 Edit and FM9 both to the latest versions. Thanks!

where are you setting your bass ? A lot of the guys like Demartini was running his bass at about 9 0clock , mids 1 o'clock
treble 1 or 2 o'clock , and boosting the front to tighten it up as a plexiglass by nature is not a really tight beast

I'm not expert but for most amps that sound to loose and flubby:

Go into the amp block and then input eq. Crank the low cut up to around 750hz. Then back it off until you get the lowend feel/sound you want. I personally do this at stock settings then tweak but it with sounds you've already dialed also.
From the plexi amps I have played, they do tend to sound bass heavy. the plexi 100 preset you mentioned in a previous thread is bass heavy to me. That is not what I hear in recordings though, post EQ?

the cab IRs I tend to like with Marshall’s are generally greenback based and often with a 57 mic. Many recordings are made with a 57 and they tend to sound quite bright. Sorry I can’t tell you my favourites without checking.

Sorry for taking a while to check back in. It was a busy week. I got to sit down this morning with my coffee and enjoy some day off time with my FM9.

On a Marshall style amp tonestack, I typically tend to fall around 4 on bass (so about 10:30) and 1-2 o’clock on mids and treble.

One thing I did was I ran my UAFX Lion pedal in a loop on the FM9 and went back and forth between that and the Plexi tonestack. The Lion is a fairly bright pedal that I do a simple chain of guitar into Lion into Strymon Flint into Fender FR12 speaker. What I found is that I found the Lion and Plexi 100 amp block to sound pretty similar. All the brightness I was used to from the Lion wasn’t present (no pun intended).

So instead, I started messing around with the Cab section and I’m finding that did a lot more in terms of taking care of the problem. On the #10 Plexi 100 High preset, it defaults to a 4x12 FAS V30 IR. Once I started changing up the IR and even trying the 1960TV Dynacab (moving the mic over and back about 2.5 each), it started sounding much better!

I appreciate the help, guys!

Yes, I had used Edit 1.02.10 with FW v5.1

I updated from FW 5.1 to 7.0 yesterday and had no issues; everything sounds great. I've been gigging regularly which is why I had not installed FW 6, but it was time to get current, and I have a couple weeks with no gigs. I expected an increase of approx 4% CPU with v7 (v6 as well), and I do observe this after upgrade. I have a few "kitchen-sink" presets with a couple scenes that now push 84%, so I'll be tuning those today. All in, I'm very happy with this update. Thanks again to FAS for stellar work!
I officially upgraded to FM9 EDIT 1.02.10. Hopefully there won't be any issues working alongside FW 5.1.

Do plan to upgrade to FW 6.0 in due time, but not atm.

I gigged firmware 7 for the first time last night - it sounded amazing and worked smooth as silk. Awesome work team Fractal!
Allow me to second that. The new f/w and resulting preset updates were inspiring to say the least.. We used our newly rebuilt IEM rack. I ran guitar stereo in my IEMs, with a mono band mix. The band was on fire, the crowd loved it, made a very long day with challenging logistics worth the hard work. Now on to prepare for a show with a new band!

Thank you Fractal Folks!

I have a week off so made the leap to FW7. I backed up everything, then updated the editor and loaded the firmware, which went smoothly. I spent a few minutes re-leveling the amps in my main preset and then copied the block to most of the rest of my presets...the four amps in that block are used in 95% of my presets so it was really easy. As I began editing, I ran into some communication issues between editor and FM9...mostly slow updates after I hit save, and I did RANF, but still had a little sluggishness. However, at a point I hit save and it went to a different scene, then dropped the preset data, jumped to 001 and showed a blank grid. So I rebooted both the FM9 and editor and have had no problems since.

Kill Dry is fantastic! I'd been using delay and reverb in series, but definitely prefer them in parallel now!

I have killer JCM800 sounds in my AX8 but never loved it in the AF3 and FM9, but with these last two updates, the 2203 High is my new favorite amp! I also have a 65 Deluxe, JTM45, and BE 100 in block and a couple of U2 presets with an AC30--anxious to swap that with the new Brilliant.

I gigged 7.0 this weekend as well. Sounded fantastic.
I also gigged with 7.0 the past Friday and Saturday……prior to gigging, I had to adjust amps (amps had a little too much treble) and reverbs (had to turn down the reverb mix). Other than that, I agree with the other users…..sounded more like the real amps (when I thought it couldn’t get any better before!)

Funny, you mention that.... I noticed that I will have to drop my delay repeats or mix on my solo scene. I have very little reverb so it wasn't noticed.

Funny, you mention that.... I noticed that I will have to drop my delay repeats or mix on my solo scene. I have very little reverb so it wasn't noticed.
I want to join a band to share this excitement. I noticed a few amps sound cleaner too. Like I had to turn up the gain just a pinch. Friedman BE 2010, Dizzy Blue 3, and the atomic high just the slightest bit of gain bump.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Back
Top Bottom