FM9 Firmware Version 7.00

m_brown

Fractal Audio Systems
FM9 Firmware Version 7.00 is now available for download:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm9/7p0/fm9_dsp_rel_7p00.zip

If updating from a firmware version older than 5.00, you will need to install the Dyna-Cabs update:
https://support.fractalaudio.com/en...abs-not-installed-or-incorrect-version-286538

Updated factory presets are available:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm9-downloads/

An updated version of FM9-Edit is required for use with this release:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-edit-1-02-10.203535/

If you are upgrading from version 4.01 or older, please follow the instructions in the Firmware Update guide PDF that is included to install the firmware and Dyna-Cabs. If you are updating from 5.00 or higher, Dyna-Cabs do not need to be reinstalled.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Also I just uploaded a video from the beta on the differences with a few amp models between Cygnus X-2 and X-3, if anyone is interested.

For those who are gigging, just make sure to check your amp model volumes! They have changed a bit and just need a few dbs of adjustment :)

Thanks! If I installed the beta version along with the updated presets and the updated FM9-Edit last week, do I just need to install the Version 7.0, or do I also need to reinstall the updated presets?

Did they level some of the presets ? any changes from Beta ?
I don't think anything was done except a save:

Factory Presets v7.0

Zip Archive—April 11, 2024
Factory preset banks for FM9 firmware 7.x or newer. Includes banks A, B, C and an ALL BANKS file. Use Fractal-Bot to install. (NOTE: v6.0 presets are the same as v3.0 but have been saved under the new firmware to optimize gapless switching and amp parameter updates. For FM9 firmware versions older than 6.0, use the original 3.0 presets available here

@Admin M@ - the presets description above mentions 6.0 vs 3.0 but nothing about 7.0...

I'm always on the fence about updates as I know my ears don't hear as well as some others seem to.....but this one was noticeable. And I don't even know how to describe it as it is subtle yet big at the same time. Everything FEELS better.

I rarely update the preset banks, but since all my own presets are in the user bank I thought why not. Am I glad I did. I'm not sure if it's more the new firmware or matched presets, but either way I'm digging so many of the stock presets that didn't impress me that much originally. It's like a new toy.

On a really strange side note, I have a couple Reverend Guitars with Railhammer pickups, that for whatever reason I've always liked the way they interact with my tube amps more than the Fractal. Something I've never noticed with any other brand pickup. And something just came alive now with the Reverend and Fractal that I haven't felt before. I have no way to explain it, but goodness....

It's getting loud over here this evening

This is an excellent update. Thank you for your hard work, m_brown!

It's a bit early to say for sure, but so far it sounds like the algorithm changes result in pick attack being much less harsh to my ears. I suspect I have a sensitivity to frequencies around there (not uncommon for tinnitus) and I had fewer issues with it this session with my high and low gain presets. It's still there, but it's not something that jumps out immediately to my ears.

This is just one session, so I'm curious what tomorrow holds. This is highly subjective and it's hard to completely rule out mood and what I'm paying attention to.

Astounding texture, elasticity, liveliness, woodiness. I don't know what words you want to use but man.....it's sounding glorious. And no messing about required with levels as far as I've noticed so far. I played FW v6 for about 45 min before updating and the difference is somewhat subtle but as you play FW v7 it becomes very apparent how it feels more alive and raw but without any harshness. In fact it simultaneously seems more raw but has more depth with less harshness. Well done and much appreciated!!!

Also...forgot to mention I notice even more sensitivity to tone control changes and a very organic and dynamic response to the volume control.

Back
Top Bottom