FM9 Firmware Version 7.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Public Beta Version 7.00 - April 11, 2024
● Fixed outgoing MIDI and MIDI pass-through messages could become garbled when using MIDI Thru 'ON' setting.
I suspected that... during a couple of gigs I experienced devices changing to wrong preset using foot control + MIDI block commands.
Need to update FM9 before any other debug. Very good.

Hope AXE FX III will have merge option too in Midi OUT connector.

I just loaded it and spent 10 minutes with it, it's getting late here so I'll check it out tomorrow.

Two things I noticed right away.

My main guitar preset (kitchen sink) went from 70% to about 74%, not a problem for me, still a lot of headroom, this preset has a lot more stuff that I use anyway and I don't intend to add anything else.

The 1959SLP Treble, Plexi 100W High and Tucana Clean had either a bit less gain than before, a bit less output or both. Nothing I couldn't fix in a few seconds. The Jazz 120 was pretty much the same as before in terms of gain and output.

Just installed the beta but didn't came far because that new AC30 model wasn't letting me go - WOW!
Maybe interesting for some folks: my kitchen sink present went up by about 1.5% (from 63.9-64% to 65.3-65.5%). But it's no big deal for me.

A/B comparison between FW 6.00 and 7.00b plus a quick look at the new stuff

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
I have quite a few gigs coming up for May and June so I can't try out the beta as I usually do.

With what you sampled, to me the tones in v7.00 sound cleaner (in a good way), clearer, and have a nice bottom end.

The bottom is cleaner too, like it's been wiped with Charmin.

I just discovered a bug in this beta when using Scene Manager to copy scenes:
  1. Amp Channel A is Clean, Amp Channel C is dirty. Scene 1 uses Amp Channel A, Scene 2 uses Amp Channel C.
  2. In Scene Manager, Copy Scene 1 to Scene 3, then copy Scene 2 to Scene 3.
  3. Scene 3 will now display Amp Channel C but with the settings from Amp Channel A so is now clean but expect to be dirty.

Every amp sounds much better. There were amps in fractal that ive previously used as my go to before that just did not sound right to me in fractal and I was unable to dial them in to my liking. I had settled in my mind that there was just things fractal wasnt good at. This didnt bother me really because there were plenty of great tones anyway and fractal was still amazing as it was. NOW with this update these amps are much more realistic and great tones are abounding. WELL DONE FRACTAL.

Every amp sounds much better. There were amps in fractal that ive previously used as my go to before that just did not sound right to me in fractal and I was unable to dial them in to my liking. I had settled in my mind that there was just things fractal wasnt good at. This didnt bother me really because there were plenty of great tones anyway and fractal was still amazing as it was. NOW with this update these amps are much more realistic and great tones are abounding. WELL DONE FRACTAL.
I agree! When I tried the 2203 high model on my axe fx iii before this update, I thought it was cool, but still struggled to dial it in. Now, on the FM9 with this beta, I thought I’d try it out and it immediately sounded like what I was expecting a 2203 to sound like! Not that it didn’t before; I saw people showing the new model and it sounded incredible, but when I tried it, it didn’t sound as good as easily as everyone made it seem and I could never get quite there. That’s really more a testament to me being bad at dialing in amps haha but trying it out now, it seems like amps upon selection just sound so dialed. It really is a joy, and I thank the Lord for their hard work and dedication to this platform!

I just discovered a bug in this beta when using Scene Manager to copy scenes:
  1. Amp Channel A is Clean, Amp Channel C is dirty. Scene 1 uses Amp Channel A, Scene 2 uses Amp Channel C.
  2. In Scene Manager, Copy Scene 1 to Scene 3, then copy Scene 2 to Scene 3.
  3. Scene 3 will now display Amp Channel C but with the settings from Amp Channel A so is now clean but expect to be dirty.
You should post this in the FM9-Edit thread... That functionality is part of the editor and likely not firmware related.

The risk-return payoff is totally out of whack but I loaded the beta for rehearsal yesterday afternoon, a gig last night, and slotted for another two across the weekend. So far it's sounding as great as Fractal gear always sounds! No beta performance jitters here ;-)

I just noticed a bug, the Sequencer gets nulled out loading presets that previously had a sequencer in them (and when restoring from backups). I tried this with and without FM9 Edit attached and the issue appeared in both cases so definitely related to the FM9 firmware.

After loading and running for maybe 15 minutes I noticed that Footswitch #3 did nothing. That's my default scene...

I went into the EZ Mode on the front panel and pressing the button had no effect. Pressing other buttons brought up the respective configs as expected.

A reboot resolved the issue.

Just reporting in case it is an issue... Most likely a fluke.
I had this issue one with version 6. Same thing, a switch stopped responding. Come to think of it, it was FC3. Reboot fixed it. Hasn't happened since.

I just noticed a bug, the Sequencer gets nulled out loading presets that previously had a sequencer in them (and when restoring from backups). I tried this with and without FM9 Edit attached and the issue appeared in both cases so definitely related to the FM9 firmware.
Confirmed and captured as a bug.

Looks like an pre-beta preset has its sequencer zereo'd on load.

Unfortunately this also happening on the AFIII 25.00 release as well.

Confirmed and captured as a bug.

Looks like an pre-beta preset has its sequencer zereo'd on load.

Unfortunately this also happening on the AFIII 25.00 release as well.
I can't reproduce this on the Axe-Fx III. Please post an example preset.

Spanish folk are really taking one for the team here lol

I might give this firmware a try but last firmware I tried rolling back and it garbled my fm9 so I had to reinstall the beta of 6

Sod it....let's do this!!!!

I can't reproduce this on the Axe-Fx III. Please post an example preset.
If you load Who's Next from factory bank A you'll see the sequencer has all sliders at zero when they shouldn't be.

Preset is attached, but it's just imported from the factory bank A and then exported from Axe-Edit.

This is the AFIII preset from the AFIII factory bank. Booting FM9 to get you the FM9 preset but...it's the same factory preset, just for the FM9, that shows the problem there as well.

1713016103215.png

Who's Next FM9 shows the problem as well:

1713016483934.png

Preset is also attached, but it's just the factory bank A preset loaded into the unit via FM9-Edit and then exported.

Attachments

• Who's Next.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Who's Next FM9.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom