FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect a large part of the is the new default for the "Speaker Thump" parameter. I've been backing that value down from the old default value of "2.5" on my existing FM9 presets as of late and indeed the low end becomes less cloudy and more focused, as well as not blanketing the mids/highs as much either. I didn't have a problem with it at "2.5" but I'm finding backing it off to ~1.8-ish is better.

Backing down the "Speaker Drive" from the old default of "2.00" to "1.00" also goes a long way to clarify the mids/highs too. I'm setting this to ~1.4 after rehearsing with "Speaker Drive/Thump" with the new default values. I'm anticipating tweaking those further after I get v6.xx installed since there are new modeling improvements and interactions.

Add to all of that:
-Improved Amp block triode algorithm
-Improved speaker compression and amp interaction modeling

...and we have a new recipe for tonal, and feel, goodness....ya man.
I just checked, my presets still have the old values for speaker thump 2.5 and speaker drive 2.0. I noticed in the release notes the default values were changed. I have the beta 6.00 installed, with FM9 Edit 1.02.08, spillover all and gapless all set as well.

I just checked, my presets still have the old values for speaker thump 2.5 and speaker drive 2.0. I noticed in the release notes the default values were changed. I have the beta 6.00 installed, with FM9 Edit 1.02.08, spillover all and gapless all set as well.
Your preset settings aren't going to be changed. You'd need to reset the Amp block to get new Default settings...

Thanks brother. Is there an ALL THINGS link where I can go thru systematically and make sure I am good to go?
Set the Gapless option, save presets. I think that's all you need... At least to make gapless work.

Edit:

Set Global Spillover option

Last edited:
Your preset settings aren't going to be changed. You'd need to reset the Amp block to get new Default settings...
Okay thanks! I'm going to look up how to reset them real quick, Maybe this is why my presets sound more muffled now?

Set the Gapless option, save presets. I think that's all you need... At least to make gapless work.

From release notes...

"In addition, the Global Spillover option must be set to "All". When the gapless setting is "All" presets will use the gapless switching when these conditions are met."

Global Spillover is right below the Gapless setting, so simple to find. Both set to All, presets saved... good to go.

From release notes...

"In addition, the Global Spillover option must be set to "All". When the gapless setting is "All" presets will use the gapless switching when these conditions are met."

Global Spillover is right below the Gapless setting, so simple to find. Both set to All, presets saved... good to go.
Thanks - I knew I forgot something!

Reactions: KFF
All ODS-100 amps seem very low on output - have to crank Out level to +10db to match other amps at -12db. Is this expected behaviour?

Have tried to save a preset to upload, but FM9Edit times out "Communication time out" and hangs once Preset -> Export preset is selected. FM9Edit works ok otherwise.

1706130392116.png

Last edited:
Okay thanks! I'm going to look up how to reset them real quick, Maybe this is why my presets sound more muffled now?
I don't think so... They are just new defaults.

I would expect them to sound the same (aside from other changes to the Amp block).

Outstanding update! Very pleased with the Gapless operation. My default kitchen-sink Preset feels and sounds much more punchy, open and uncompressed and satisfyingly responsive.
Truly happy with the progress of the FM9T
Thank you FAS!

All ODS-100 amps seem very low on output - have to crank Out level to +10db to match other amps at -12db. Is this expected behaviour?

Have tried to save a preset to upload, but FM9Edit times out "Communication time out" and hangs once Preset -> Export preset is selected. FM9Edit works ok otherwise.

View attachment 133769
A new FM9 Edit was released earlier today that fixed the bug with saving presets.

This video that Leon did is great! Lots of great info and examples here, and the one thing I have to say that I REALLY appreciated about this video was the "Conclusion" part of the video. I'm thankful for him expressing just how generous it is for Fractal to work as hard as they do for us. Mentioning too about how he thought we wouldn't see gapless until a new product, and here it is. I was literally praying to the Lord about it that it would be really cool if this made it to the FM9 :) and now it's here :) I'm very grateful to the Lord for that, and very grateful to Cliff, Matt B., and the rest of the Fractal team who work tirelessly because they have the passion and belief in their product to do so for US, when we really don't deserve it. It's made the work I do so much more efficient, and I am very grateful for all of this! As Leon mentioned too, the Fractal community is a great place to teach and learn more about this awesome gear, so I'm thankful for that! Looking forward to checking this new firmware out!

Happy playing, everyone!

View attachment 133769

For your ODS models are you running the Master Volume exceptionally low? If my MV is at 6.4 on HRM my level is at -10 dB. If I turn the MV down to ~2.0 I have to push the Level to ~+12 dB.

For the Preset Export update to the latest build of FM9-Edit https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-edit-1-02-08-to-support-fw-6-00-public-beta.201281/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom