FM9 Firmware Version 5.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is not really "a sound" which we're used to. As Cliff mentioned somewhere and as is listed in the Wiki "we record cabs in studios". It would be fun however to do the experiment

This is part of Mikko's reasoning as to why his IRs contain room sound, that traditionally recordings have always had them. I can understand the reasoning, but personally I can't stand room reflections that are baked in. Two Notes has a couple of cabs in their format captured in an anechoic chamber.

This is part of Mikko's reasoning as to why his IRs contain room sound, that traditionally recordings have always had them. I can understand the reasoning, but personally I can't stand room reflections that are baked in. Two Notes has a couple of cabs in their format captured in an anechoic chamber.
Understandable. It depends a lot on what you're looking for.

Loving 5.00b! I can report that on my favorite kitchen sink type preset that normally runs around 75% (with 2 ultra res cabs) - it's now 10-12% less using Dyna-Cabs. It took a few mins of A/B with my favorite Ownhammer IRs, but I dialed in a really nice tone using a 57/121 combo. I don't miss the Ultra Res quality, and I REALLY like saving 10% plus. Also, the Revv amps sound killer and area really fun to play. Branching out from my go to BE-100 to the Revv Purple 1 sounds fantastic. Thanks FAS!

Last edited:
I think FW5.00, especially the new DYNA cabs, is great! It kind of unveils the fantastic amp models in a way that is far more pleasing than the endless list of legacy cabs. Great job Fractal!
I can't wait to try this tonight. I can guarantee I am not using the best IRs for what I want, but auditioning them is exhausting, so I got close enough and stick with that for my FM9 lifetime. Now I know I can have what I want within a short period of time.

I was just watching Mathew Dale youtube on dynacab in the AXIII and I notice the FM9 version does not have the "zoom" feature in the Align tab to go over 3ms. That looks like a nice feature for stereo. Anyone know why?

About the 7 minute mark:

You could use an anechoic chamber, and that would allow long IRs without room reflections, but I imagine anechoic chambers are not commonly available and very difficult to build.
From my experience of recording guitars in overly dry rooms, I can only imagine this would sound pretty bad. My best results were in acoustically controlled rooms, but not too dry. Actually in the too dry spaces I remember, nothing sounded great coming out of there. vocal booth with a ton of absorption. Tracked acoustic and electric guitars in it. It was like the notes died right off the strings.

By "our OS" do you mean the firmware in the modeler? The modeler only has to be compatible with USB and it's very unlikely Apple is going to change that part of the OS. Only Fractal-Bot and Edit have anything to do with the host computer's OS, and they should be fine too since Apple has a really good track-record of not breaking compatibility.

You can load the OS beta on your Mac and find out and tell us how it worked.

We haven't begun testing, but I don't know of any reasons that our apps won't all be readily compatible.
Thanks for both your replies. My preference is to wait regards the final Sonoma iteration. Personally, I'm not a programmer nor software developer, and wouldn't have a clue as how to bug-check or test the Sonoma beta OS besides v. 5.00 Beta 1. I'm sure there are plenty of guys online who are Apple beta testers who would do a far better job than myself. That's why programmers are paid well.

My skillset regards beta testing is limited to applications like Crossover beta reporting. I used to be a beta tester for Crossover some months ago until they began weeding out inactive end-users. Yet, Crossover is asking us again. I just check Crossover against the Windows application I need for my Mac that normally wouldn't run without Crossover. Crossover still appreciates the feedback.

You could use an anechoic chamber, and that would allow long IRs without room reflections, but I imagine anechoic chambers are not commonly available and very difficult to build.
Right. Anechoic chambers are rare, expensive, and imperfect. There are still reflections, particularly at lower frequencies.

I too get the glitch, but the dyna cabs and Revv sound great.
And I personally don't want 2000 cab options, just what the dyna cab offers works so much better and faster. Give me the basics, let me tweak it, and off I go.

From my experience of recording guitars in overly dry rooms, I can only imagine this would sound pretty bad. My best results were in acoustically controlled rooms, but not too dry. Actually in the too dry spaces I remember, nothing sounded great coming out of there. vocal booth with a ton of absorption. Tracked acoustic and electric guitars in it. It was like the notes died right off the strings.

I tried the Two Notes ones in Wall of Sound, where you can try any cab before you buy. The ones they had did not work well for me, but I didn't blame that on the capture. Maybe the capture was part of the problem to my ears. I can't even remember what the cabs were; I think they were unusual, if I remember correctly.

I tried the Two Notes ones in Wall of Sound, where you can try any cab before you buy. The ones they had did not work well for me, but I didn't blame that on the capture. Maybe the capture was part of the problem to my ears. I can't even remember what the cabs were; I think they were unusual, if I remember correctly.
100% not every capture/cab will work for every amp, just like in the real world.

Potential Bug @m_brown

When using Undo function on Dynacabs, the process continues until the variables return to first step settings. E.g. if you make multiple edits it undoes all of the edits across different cabs settings not just the last step. All installation steps were followed and Dynacabs work otherwise.

Preset attached.

Attachments

• NdL SC (Dyna).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Potential Bug @m_brown

When using Undo function on Dynacabs, the process continues until the variables return to first step settings. E.g. if you make multiple edits it undoes all of the edits across different cabs settings not just the last step. All installation steps were followed and Dynacabs work otherwise.

Preset attached.
Probably belongs in the FM9-Edit thread... The hardware has no undo ;)

Potential Bug @m_brown

Preset attached.

Personally I’ve almost completely forgone Undo in favor of Snapshots. I take them often and will switch between them to compare and contrast the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom