FM9 Firmware Version 5.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to fractal - have owned an fm9 for two weeks after being a kemper user since they were released. For maybe six years my go to profile was a revv gen. I have done a lot of shows and session work with that ‘god’ profile.

Tonight I loaded up the beta - picked the revv - and it is a good 10% better than that profile - by simply turning the ideal amp knobs, low cut on amp input eq and using my go-to IR. Haven’t even started with dynacabs so am super excited to crack on with that.

What an amazing bit of kit this FM9 is!!

New to fractal - have owned an fm9 for two weeks after being a kemper user since they were released. For maybe six years my go to profile was a revv gen. I have done a lot of shows and session work with that ‘god’ profile.

Tonight I loaded up the beta - picked the revv - and it is a good 10% better than that profile - by simply turning the ideal amp knobs, low cut on amp input eq and using my go-to IR. Haven’t even started with dynacabs so am super excited to crack on with that.

What an amazing bit of kit this FM9 is!!
Yup. You can get good sounds from just about all of the modelers these days. FAS sounds good and "right" out the gate more than the rest IMO. Add the simplest tweaks of low and/or high cuts and some amp eq and it is better. Add some effects and it gets better. Add some serious modifiers and you have a very serious thing happening. I love that you don't have to drill deep into the hardcore attributes of things to get it going, but it is available if you want to conjure up something very unique and different.

Loving 5.00b! I can report that on my favorite kitchen sink type preset that normally runs around 75% (with 2 ultra res cabs) - it's now 10-12% less using Dyna-Cabs. It took a few mins of A/B with my favorite Ownhammer IRs, but I dialed in a really nice tone using a 57/121 combo. I don't miss the Ultra Res quality, and I REALLY like saving 10% plus. Also, the Revv amps sound killer and area really fun to play. Branching out from my go to BE-100 to the Revv Purple 1 sounds fantastic. Thanks FAS!
Wow 10%??? That's a game changer for sure!

Yup. You can get good sounds from just about all of the modelers these days. FAS sounds good and "right" out the gate more than the rest IMO. Add the simplest tweaks of low and/or high cuts and some amp eq and it is better. Add some effects and it gets better. Add some serious modifiers and you have a very serious thing happening. I love that you don't have to drill deep into the hardcore attributes of things to get it going, but it is available if you want to conjure up something very unique and different.
True, my rig before kemper was a pod xt pro (the red rack mount) into a Marshall 9200 power amp - and that sounded fab too!

Really enjoying having an editor that works so intuitively too!

Switching to dyna-CAB easy for me because my favorite CAB is present in the list ! It is the 4X12 Rumble EV12L coupled to ODS-100 Clean or USA Pre LD2 yellow.
remains to position the microphones a Condenser and a ribbon. I was a little afraid of the migration, on the contrary it is rather easy . :cool:

How’s everyone dialing the Dyna Cabs in? What’s your process for it?

In the past, I just chose a mix IR I knew sounded good, and tweaked the amp eq from there.

With the dyna cabs now, you can make the tone brighter or darker just by moving the mic, and I’m not really sure what I should do first to get a good tone. Do you guys use the high and low cuts as well?

In the past, I just chose a mix IR I knew sounded good, and tweaked the amp eq from there.

With the dyna cabs now, you can make the tone brighter or darker just by moving the mic, and I’m not really sure what I should do first to get a good tone. Do you guys use the high and low cuts as well?
My approach was to take a preset I've already been gigging with and am familiar with, then swap in a comparable Dyna Cab in place of my most used IR. From there I try to dial in the sound of said IR without having to use high and low cuts, utilizing only mic placement. I've found this to, not only be easier than trying to select an IR, but also sounds better and more realistic.

I had the same concern as you have, especially given how long it took me to find an IR that I really liked, but once I started moving the mic around, I had that "ah-ha!" moment.

I take my go to IR and put it in channel A of the cab block and find a similar type Dyna cab for channel B. Then I put a looper in the preset and play a minute or so of rhythm and lead. Then I play the loop, and move the mic around while switching from channel A & B until they are similar, with out low and hi cuts. Then fine tune from there.

Can't be real. Tuesday isn't Friday and Friday's have always been the official day for firmware updates. I.E. Firmware Friday. ;):)
I know you're being funny, but since this sort of promotes the myth of "Firmware Friday" to the unknowing I just want to point out there's never been an "official" day for firmware releases.

They can (and have) been released on pretty much any day of the week.

/ Old guy rant over /

I no longer use a high cut so F=20khz, I keep a low cut set to 120hz 12dB/octave

Hi all. Apologies in advance if this has been answered already ...

How long is the "length" of the Dynacabs in FM9, and is this different to the Dynacab length of the FM3?

I take my go to IR and put it in channel A of the cab block and find a similar type Dyna cab for channel B. Then I put a looper in the preset and play a minute or so of rhythm and lead. Then I play the loop, and move the mic around while switching from channel A & B until they are similar, with out low and hi cuts. Then fine tune from there.
So which is the advantage of dynacab?

So which is the advantage of dynacab?
Some may find the work flow easier, being able to mic a cab just like in real life, vs. scrolling thru lists of IRs. In my opinion , each has their merits. After spending several days tweaking with Dyna Cabs, I found myself going back to my favorite Ownhammer IRs. I think that DC are a great addition to the Fractal platform, and certainly a powerful tone sculpting tool. But in my situation, I live on basically one preset that I created, and I'm already very pleased with the tone I'm getting with a single IR/Cab. I find that when I deviate too much from that setup, I end up losing something, or I spend a lot of time trying to dial in a DC just to make it sound similar to the Ownhammer IR that I already have. Perhaps my ears are just used to that sound after all these years. It is great to have that option though, and I'm sure that the Dyna Cab functionality will only continue to improve.

I know some folks get option paralysis with choosing IRs from a huge list. I will say that using a looper to play for a minute while you scroll IRs helps a lot. I just pin the window and scroll thru them one at a time. It's important to have a goal before starting (ie a closed back, 412 cab) then work from there with speaker type, mic type and placement. Ownhammer's naming convention makes sense if you read the included pdf file. For example, I like the OH type, which is a 57/121 mix. Then the numbering 1-10 get progressively darker as they move from dust cap to edge. I'm glad I went thru this process again though, because it made me realize that I only need one IR (not two), and am happy with standard res vs. ultra res. Using DC was saving me 10-12% CPU vs 2 Ultra res cabs, but switching to one single standard res IR has also saved me the same amount.

Ultimately, its a win/win for everyone, since there are options for everybody.

Having just purchased my first motorcycle I've had a hard time concentrating on pretty much anything else, but today it rained so it was time to really check out this beta. And it is great. Dynacabs simplify things a great deal for me, and be it the novelty or what have you, the sounds I get with them feel more open and pleasing to the ear. Also the Revv models sound fantastic.

Stellar job FAS, once again, and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom