FM9 Firmware Version 4.01

Well, to be honest, it's not for free. You're paying a hell of a lot for a device. Which includes support too ;)
But nonetheless, great support FAS. Totally worth all the money!
Or look at it from the utility aspect. You are getting ~300 amplifiers, plus a huge number of cabs, pedals and a studio full of effects for a TINY percentage of what the real gear would cost, and by the end of the year you will have received even more gear AND upgrades to the equipment that improved its sound without paying a service or upgrade fee.

I can't understand why I have to be at 95% and barely hit the red light...
That is weird.
I have my unit set to 38% I have passive and active pickup guitars. Both work with that setting. I can go up to 45% and if I pick the strings as hard as I can I will trigger the clip warning but at 38% I tickle the red but it doesn't show a warning no matter how hard I pick the strings.

That is weird.
I have my unit set to 38% I have passive and active pickup guitars. Both work with that setting. I can go up to 45% and if I pick the strings as hard as I can I will trigger the clip warning but at 38% I tickle the red but it doesn't show a warning no matter how hard I pick the strings.
Ibanez prestige with a set of diamrzio EVO.
Lag the beast with tone zone.... this is so weird!!! It was like this from the start.

Depends on the pickups, strings, setup, how hard you play etc. My main guitar with a JB in the bridge I set around 70%. My strat with single coils I can go all the way to 100% and not get clipping. My Tom Andersons I have to lower it to around 40%.
On my Anderson’s (all HC2s at the bridge) I am at 10% for both FM9 and AXE3. I really dig in when I pick but I was still surprised to come down so far from my original 50% on both units. It’s great to now be aware that I must have been clipping.

Than you team FAS for another great firmware update.

7-string 27 inch Ibanez with Bare Knuckle Aftermath pickups and 10-52 + 74 strings - I had to set input to 4.3%, I'm heavy right hand hitter.

Depends on the pickups, strings, setup, how hard you play etc. My main guitar with a JB in the bridge I set around 70%. My strat with single coils I can go all the way to 100% and not get clipping. My Tom Andersons I have to lower it to around 40%.
Is there anything that could possibly even remotely cause a variance in between the units themselves?

Thank you for chiming in Cliff, I'm a huge fan of yours!

The two guitars I'm using most often now are my Suhr Custom Modern with Doug Aldrich pickups and my Strandberg Boden original 7 string with active Fishman Humbuckers.

My hottest guitar is a Custom 24-08 with 85/15. Next is my McCarty 594 with 58/15. 40% is where I have to set it as well. I want to get a Custom 24 Floyd with the \m/ pickups that may require me to adjust it but for now 40% is good!

FWIW I have a Suhr SSV+ in my hottest guitar and had the "INPUT1" level previously set to 55% and it would rarely tickle the red LED meter light.

After upgrading to 4.01 I found that I could clip the INPUT1 (with a warning) slightly and very occasionally and had to dial it back to 35%.

At 35% I can play excessively hard (harder then I normally every would) and never get a clip warning.

I'm also finding that the newest Speaker Thump seems to be a bit more 'controlled' and feels better overall too. It definitely adds something to the FRFR experience.

Input dynamics is cool. A little goes a long way!

Yes, definitely...I'm finding that I only need to tweak this parameter to 0.3 -> 0.5 for just a slight dynamic expansion of a ~1.5db or so on my crunchy/gain-ier tones to give them a little more life/feel. It's easy to overwork this control.

Last edited:
Or look at it from the utility aspect. You are getting ~300 amplifiers, plus a huge number of cabs, pedals and a studio full of effects for a TINY percentage of what the real gear would cost, and by the end of the year you will have received even more gear AND upgrades to the equipment that improved its sound without paying a service or upgrade fee.
THIS times a thousand plus a googleplex!!!

I have about a heavier right hand than Angus and Malcolm Young or together....
LoL!

All my guitars require lower than average settings on input level. Hehehe

I'm experiencing a problem since upgrading to 4.01. My upper rightmost button seems to no longer work. I thought maybe something went wrong in the preset I was working on...but I reset that preset and re-imported an earlier version of it from before upgrading to 4.01...the problem persists. I've been using my own version of the OFM9G layouts and I've seen that it makes no difference what layout I'm in...that button no longer functions.

It could be that this is a hardware issue unrelated to upgrading...but when you upgrade and then a problem starts, suspicion results...

Last edited:
I'm experiencing a problem since upgrading to 4.01. My upper rightmost button seems to no longer work. I thought maybe something went wrong in the preset I was working on...but I reset that preset and re-imported an earlier version of it from before upgrading to 4.01...the problem persists. I've been using my own version of the OFM9G layouts and I've seen that it makes no difference what layout I'm in...that button no longer functions.

It could be that this is a hardware issue unrelated to upgrading...but when you upgrade and then a problem starts, suspicion results...
Revert to the previous firmware or restore your layouts from a backup.

"No longer works" means what exactly in this case? Does not trigger, does not display on the scribble strip, does not light the LED ring, all of the above?

Edit:

Nevermind I saw your bug thread

my top right button is fine. Did you backup your layout pages before upgrading?
I would try the upgrade again....or if you didn't backup your layouts...maybe downgrade, backup everything including your layouts and upgrade again.

● Changed bypass/engage speed for the following blocks: Filter, Graphic EQ, Parametric EQ, Tremolo and Wah. These blocks now
bypass/engage with a gentle fade as rapid bypass/engage with these types of blocks can sound abrupt.
Maybe @FractalAudio can do this also for Pitch Block….
When I use auto-engage for Classic Whammy there is an evident “click”

Back
Top Bottom