FM9 Firmware Version 4.01

Thank you Fractal Audio! The gift that keeps on giving. I'm so Thankful for my Fractal Audio products.

Thanks for another fantastic update!

The clipping indicator is a really nice addition -- it confirmed what I'd suspected about my hottest guitar....

The clipping indicator is a really nice addition -- it confirmed what I'd suspected about my hottest guitar....
I didn't suspect a thing, but according to the indicator I had been clipping away for a good while with sensitivity set to 50%, and only occasionally seeing the red led light up. Had to lower the setting to 17% to get rid of the clipping indicator. With just hard chugging it could be set higher, but every time I hit a loud artificial harmonic on the third fret of the low E-string, the warning lit up. Well, now it doesn't anymore, so I sure showed him not to mess with my tone and harmonics, artificial or otherwise!

Release Notes:

Version 4.01 - April 7, 2023
IMPORTANT: 4.01 adds several features that expand the System Settings memory storage size. These settings cover the Global, I/O,
MIDI/Remote, Tuner, and Foot Controller sections. As a result, System Settings created using firmware version 4.01 are not
backward-compatible with earlier firmware versions. To restore System Settings after reverting for any reason to firmware older than 4.01,
use a backup file created previously under the older firmware to restore System Settings.

New Features
● Added new Amp type: “59 Bassguy Reissue Jumped”.
● Added new Drive types: “Bosom Boost”, “OD-One Overdrive”.
● Added “Paragon” type to Wah block based on the Tycobrahe Parapedal wah.
● Added “Oxbow Loadbox” and “Double Notes Loadbox” speaker impedance curves based on a Universal Audio Ox and Two Notes
Torpedo, respectively. (Note that these are amp block impedance curve options and not new IRs in the Cab block.)
● “1x10 Metro Blues” speaker impedance curve added to AMP effect..
● Added “JP IIC+ Shred” Input Boost type to Amp block. This replicates the “Shred” switch on the Mesa/Boogie JP2C.
● Added new Amp block parameter “Input Dynamics” (as found on Axe-Fx III). When set below zero, the amp input is compressed,
resulting in a smoother, less dynamic sound. When set greater than zero, the amp input is expanded, resulting in a punchier,
crunchier and more dynamic sound. Note that extreme values can have undesirable side effects such as pumping or clipping.
● Added new “Startup Preset” option under SETUP: Global Settings. This determines which preset is loaded at startup.
● Changed bypass/engage speed for the following blocks: Filter, Graphic EQ, Parametric EQ, Tremolo and Wah. These blocks now
bypass/engage with a gentle fade as rapid bypass/engage with these types of blocks can sound abrupt.
● New large fonts display mode for the main Presets/Scenes view (Home page of the Home menu). Turn Knob B (“Zoom”) to switch
between small fonts and large fonts. In Large mode:
○ Turn the Value knob and then press ENTER to change the preset. (Presets are shown in “preview” as dim text until you
press Enter.) When previewing presets, NAV left/right = -1/+1 preset and NAV down/up = -10/+10 presets.
○ Once any preset is loaded,use NAV keys to change scenes.
● Signal level meters have been added to the I/O menu “Input” page for use when adjusting input sensitivity. The Instrument Input (In
1) meter will display input signal clipping via its color.
● An Instrument Input (IN1) signal clipping warning is added to the mini-tuner graphic. If this clipping indicator appears, reduce the
input 1 input sensitivity in SETUP: I/O: Audio: Input.

Updates
● Improved Compressor block:
○ Improved “Studio FF Compressor 1” type. New algorithm yields smoother release and “fatter” compression. This type is
suitable for a wide range of uses now including bus and mastering. Type has been renamed “Studio FF Compressor”.
○ Improved “Optical Compressor” types. New algorithm features improved ballistics and an inherent soft knee for vintage
optical compression sounds.
○ Improved “Dynamics Processor” type. New algorithm also supports various detector types.
○ Improved “JFET Compressor” type.
○ Added “Optical Sustainer” type based on optocoupler-based pedal compressors.
○ Added “Analog Sustainer” type. This is an upwards compressor using the same “analog” gain computer as the Analog
Compressor type yielding a natural soft-knee response.
○ Added “JFET Sustainer” type. This is based on a rare JFET-based pedal compressor where the JFET is in the op-amp’s
feedback network.
○ The range of “Release Time” now goes from 2ms to 2s.
○ Added a graph for “Analog Compressor” and “Sustainer” types.
○ New “Auto-Makeup Gain” algorithm for most types provides better output level tracking vs. Threshold and Ratio.
Note: As a result, the output level of the compressor block may be slightly different compared to previous versions.
Auditioning presets that use the Compressor block is recommended.
○ Selectable Auto-Makeup Gain has been added to Optical, Tube and Analog Compressor types.
○ Studio “FF Compressor 2” has been renamed “Studio FF Sustainer”.
○ Compressor types have been alphabetized.
● Improved Gate block:
○ Improved “Downward Expander” type. The “Hold Time” parameter has been removed as it is not compatible and no longer
needed with the new algorithm. This type has been renamed “Classic Expander” as it is based on classic analog
downward expanders.
○ Added “Modern Expander” type. This type uses a novel approach to the envelope detector resulting in improved ballistics
compared to traditional analog expanders. A new “Knee Type” parameter allows selecting between hard-knee expansion
and varying degrees of soft-knee expansion.
● Improved Noise Gate in Input block:
○ Improved performance based on a new algorithm developed for the Gate block.
○ A “Mode” page has been added to the gate with “Easy” and “Advanced” options. In “Easy” mode the number of parameters
is reduced, simplifying the adjustment procedure for those who are unfamiliar with the finer details of gates/expanders for
guitar noise reduction applications.
● Updated PVH 6160 Block and PVH 6160+ models. New models have more accurate Gain knob response.
● Reduced default Power Tube Grid Bias for PVH 6160 and Recto models as previous default was hotter than these amps are typically
run due to the non-adjustable bias.
● Added “Treble Shift” control to Tone page of USA IIC+ models. This is an alias of the “Fat” control found on the Preamp page and
performs the same function.
● Added Fat control to Tone page of USA Rhythm 2, which is just a duplicate of the control found on the Preamp page.
● Updated “Speaker Thump” to latest from Axe-Fx III.
● Input and Output volume pedals (MIDI/Remote menu) filtering is reduced. This causes the level to react quicker, similar to Axe FX III.
● 2x12 Bassguy speaker impedance curve is updated to match Axe-FX III.
● Improved tuner:
○ Changed filter to tracking bandpass, rejects harmonics and noise.
○ Changed strobe tuner so that indicator rotation frequency is constant vs. error as a fraction of desired frequency
○ Changed Tuner Mute behavior so that Mute: INPUT only mutes the selected Input source.

Fixes
● Corrected a bug when using a modifier on the Klon Gain value or other mathematically complex parameter.
● Corrected a bug that caused pedals/switches connected to faslink FC#2 to function as if they were connected to FC#1.
● Turning soft knob 3 on the layout GUI, 'Block Level', will no longer make an empty banner message appear on the LCD when a valid
effect block is not highlighted.
● Corrected a bug causing a crash when assigning control to scene inc/dec in the ‘MIDI/Remote’ menu ‘Other tab’.
● Fixed Transformer and Vintage preamp types in Cabinet block not ported correctly during a previous firmware update. This
manifested as the distortion not being frequency dependent.
● Fix for IR(s) not loading on channel change if one or more slots has SOLO engaged.
● Side-chain filters are now working for the Gate effect.
● Reverb effect low cut slope control is now working.
● Fixed a filter in the Wah block not being initialized.
● Corrected a condition that caused the shunt block outline color to draw incorrectly on the layout grid GUI.
● Fixed setting the Ratio parameter to '1' in certain compressor effect model types causing an audio signal loss requiring reboot.
● Using the 'Ignore Redundant PC' setting no longer prevents preset 0 from loading at startup.
● Parameters controlled via a modifier viewed on a 'Perform' GUI will not send an incorrect parameter update message when loading
the Perform GUI screen.
● Corrected an error with individual block muting during scene changes that causes an accidental disruption of signal in a delay or
reverb effect.
● Corrected a display error causing the AMP effect block to appear in the wrong bypass state on the layout grid.
● FC: Song/Setlist, using "default" for scene loads the correct scene.
● FC: Effect: Channel functions will now work correctly when Effect is set to Controllers.
● FC: Changed how the lower right footswitch works when the Master Layout Menu (“MLM”) Switch Combo is enabled. Because this
switch has an extra “hidden” hold function that helps show the MLM, its tap function would be skipped if you accidentally held the
switch for too long. Now, the tap function will fire in these cases as long as there isn’t also a separate Hold function assigned.
● FC: When editing switches from the front panel, the 'Mini-Display Label' setting of 'Custom' will now allow access to the 'Custom
Label' for all switch categories.

this isnt the beta is it?

Judge Judy What GIF by Amazon Freevee

Back
Top Bottom