FM9 Firmware Version 4.00 public beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had more occurrences of preset changing not working. In review, If I am on a particular preset, and I switch to the effects layout, and change an effect, I can no longer switch off of the preset I was on. I had previously "Fixed" this by resetting the system parameters, but It is happening again and I believe it is tied to having a particular setting selected. It seems that if I have the "Prompt for edited preset" toggle turned on (lower left corner of config screen in attached pic), it causes this behavior. If I turn it off, it goes back to functioning like normal.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 7.30.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 7.30.01 PM.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 8
I had more occurrences of preset changing not working. In review, If I am on a particular preset, and I switch to the effects layout, and change an effect, I can no longer switch off of the preset I was on. I had previously "Fixed" this by resetting the system parameters, but It is happening again and I believe it is tied to having a particular setting selected. It seems that if I have the "Prompt for edited preset" toggle turned on (lower left corner of config screen in attached pic), it causes this behavior. If I turn it off, it goes back to functioning like normal.
That’s exactly what “Prompt on edit” does.

Prompt on edit prevents you from switching presets?? I could understand if it alerted you to having a pending change, but preventing you from leaving the preset? That seems very odd to me.

Prompt on edit prevents you from switching presets?? I could understand if it alerted you to having a pending change, but preventing you from leaving the preset? That seems very odd to me.
How else would it prompt? The edit light already turns on with this setting off. The prompt is a message that prevents you from leaving the preset until you save. That is the sole purpose of this function. Sounds like you want to turn it off for the way you use the device.

How else would it prompt? The edit light already turns on with this setting off. The prompt is a message that prevents you from leaving the preset until you save. That is the sole purpose of this function. Sounds like you want to turn it off for the way you use the device.
There is no message of any kind on the hardware. I'm talking about on the unit itself, not in FM9-Edit. On the hardware, there is no way to disregard that a change was made and you don't want to save it, and you DO want to change presets.

I guess it's just not an appropriate setting to use on the unit itself. Or there should be a popup "Save? Y/N? prompt on the screen. Not a big deal, I just won't be using that setting unless I'm working exclusively in the editor.

[OT]
That’s a shame. I thought that was pretty highly requested.
That's not the most important aspect, and maybe not even the second-most...

How you program a thing has its pros and cons. Although it's sad you can't pick blocks like you want, it probably has several technical reasons.
  • For example, you can probably imagine that a looper may need a lot of RAM, so adding 4 loopers could run out of RAM, etc. I suspect it could be more of a headache to program the number of blocks to be freely chosen, but I also hope this situation will one day improve.
  • Another reason is to keep headroom and not jeopardize future developments (new blocks, more demanding algorithms, ...). It could turn into self-sabotage.
  • And obviously, there also has to be some difference between models. What is it with people that buy the "cheapest" versions and then start pushing to have it be equal to the flagship...? We already have a lot of that, in as far as possible, and more than other companies would grant us (nothing personal — I wouldn't mind it either :D )
  • Even the powerful III only has 2 Pitch Blocks, not 3. It might be an indication of the resources it needs.
  • They haven't said it's 100% never gonna happen

Last edited:
For example, you can probably imagine that a looper may need a lot of RAM, so adding 4 loopers could run out of RAM, etc.
Confirming this …

"Loopers have unique hardware requirements, i.e. lots of memory. General-purpose guitar processors like the Axe-Fx don't need the amounts of memory that loopers require and adding that memory for a single effect would increase costs, probably considerably. Furthermore the processors used in products like the Axe-Fx are limited in the amount of memory they can address. The DSP used in the Axe-Fx III is the most powerful commercial DSP available but it's still limited in it's memory address space. Also, most loopers trade off bit-depth and sample rate for loop time. Therefore you're unlikely to ever find a multi-effect that has the loop time and features as a dedicated looper. If I were to make a dedicated looper I probably wouldn't use a DSP but something like an ARM with a lot of external address space. There isn't really much audio processing required, it's mostly memory access." [1]

OK, like many others I could not wait, and loaded the Beta just before my gig last night. Played our 4 hour set, guitar sound was absolutely stellar in my IEM and unit was rock solid. Again, no time before gig for tweaking existing presets or testing yesterday, just loaded and go. Have a number of songs where I roll of the guitar volume to do small clean bits, really did sound even better than before.

Will spend the next two weeks fine tuning as we don't play again until after Thanksgiving here in the USA. I am sure I will find a need for the CPU savings to add another block I didn't know I needed.

If FA wanted to find a way to add even one FullRes IR slot my transition from FX3 would be complete - I would for sure upgrade to an FM9 turbo if this was an option!

Well done to the team as always!

OK, like many others I could not wait, and loaded the Beta just before my gig last night. Played our 4 hour set, guitar sound was absolutely stellar in my IEM and unit was rock solid. Again, no time before gig for tweaking existing presets or testing yesterday, just loaded and go. Have a number of songs where I roll of the guitar volume to do small clean bits, really did sound even better than before.

Will spend the next two weeks fine tuning as we don't play again until after Thanksgiving here in the USA. I am sure I will find a need for the CPU savings to add another block I didn't know I needed.

If FA wanted to find a way to add even one FullRes IR slot my transition from FX3 would be complete - I would for sure upgrade to an FM9 turbo if this was an option!

Well done to the team as always!
Another great idea, does anyone know if it's possible to add say 1 or 2 FullRes IR slots?

does anyone know if it's possible to add say 1 or 2 FullRes IR slots?
They're not available on the FM* units. They don't have enough extra memory and maybe not enough CPU.

From "FullRes" in the Wiki:
NOTE: The FullRes User IR bank is only available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II and Turbo. The original Axe-Fx III has less non-volatile memory and therefore does not have the necessary resources to store the IRs. The Scratchpad bank supports FullRes IRs but the data will be lost when the unit is powered off.
(about the Axe-Fx III Mk I) "It has plenty of memory for firmware updates. It has limited NV memory for user data storage because at the time it was designed the FLASH chips used were the largest capacity available. The Mark II has larger capacity FLASH chips because they're available now." [34]
The FM* and FX3 Mk I have the same memory size.

FullRes IRs require more CPU power than Normal and UltraRes IRs.
The FX3 has 2x the CPU of an FM9.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom