FM9 Firmware Version 3.00 public beta 1

Loving that I can feel the Speaker thump in the floor even at relatively low settings (1.7 or so) and at a reasonable home practice volume. Nice not to be on a slab floor, I guess. Would probably be handy to have a global master Thump control that scales the presets' Thump controls down for quick adjustments at gigs, tho, as it might be too much when turned up louder....

Loving that I can feel the Speaker thump in the floor even at relatively low settings (1.7 or so) and at a reasonable home practice volume. Nice not to be on a slab floor, I guess. Would probably be handy to have a global master Thump control that scales the presets' Thump controls down for quick adjustments at gigs, tho, as it might be too much when turned up louder....
+1 for Global Thump! Would make a good album/band name, too.

Noticed that every power-up, the FM9 starts off only giving the right channel via SPDIF to downstream devices. Does not matter which preset is active when powering up.

The SPDIF/AES Out Source selector switches this arrangement to only left channel (Input 1), both channels (Output 2), or a faint both channels (USB 7,8 - perhaps dry guitar?) by selecting the other outputs besides the usual Output 1.

Switching the Digital Input Source from USB (Channels 5/6) to SPDIF and back corrects this and the unit operates normally after that until next power-up.

FM9 system/global backup attached.

Attachments

• FM9-220727-185912-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 2
Noticed that every power-up, the FM9 starts off only giving the right channel via SPDIF to downstream devices. Does not matter which preset is active when powering up.

The SPDIF/AES Out Source selector switches this arrangement to only left channel (Input 1), both channels (Output 2), or a faint both channels (USB 7,8 - perhaps dry guitar?) by selecting the other outputs besides the usual Output 1.

Switching the Digital Input Source from USB (Channels 5/6) to SPDIF and back corrects this and the unit operates normally after that until next power-up.

FM9 system/global backup attached.
Hi,
This appears to be some sort of side effect of using the USB 1.01 beta firmware. I put the release version of the USB firmware below if you want to check. You can move back and forth between the USB firmware versions without changing any stored data on the FM9 so you won't need to worry about doing a backup.
You can use the same download instructions in the USB beta thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-usb-firmware-v-1-01-public-beta.185480/#post-2290144
Thanks,
Matt B.

Hi,
This appears to be some sort of side effect of using the USB 1.01 beta firmware. I put the release version of the USB firmware below if you want to check. You can move back and forth between the USB firmware versions without changing any stored data on the FM9 so you won't need to worry about doing a backup.
You can use the same download instructions in the USB beta thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-usb-firmware-v-1-01-public-beta.185480/#post-2290144
Thanks,
Matt B.
Ah, k, got it, thx. I changed both at the same time, give or take, so wasn't sure which was the cause.

I know about it, and it is trivial to reset to proper operation, so likely will wait for the 1.01 final without rolling back....

My guess is we won’t get the official 3.0 release until they are ready to begin shipping units again.
It’s called marketing.

My guess is we won’t get the official 3.0 release until they are ready to begin shipping units again.
It’s called marketing.
That doesn't sound like a plausible prediction to me. There's absolutely no reason to think that Fractal will sit on the 3.0 release until the next batch of FM9s start to ship. That's not their normal approach, and they don't gain anything from suddenly adopting it here. Absent an announcement from Fractal, it's safe to assume that 3.0 will release when it is ready, not when the next FM9s are ready, as there does not seem to be any connection between the two events. Anyway, still enjoying all the new features in the latest beta, especially the new Del Fuego model.

My hope is they are waiting to push the final release, because they plan to add all the cool new stuff that just was added to the Axe 3. New drive model algorithm and amp model 😊
Yeah, it seems the FM units get ketchup releases following the big kahuna....

Last edited:
Or they just freeze it „as is“ to get all the stuff out now, and then release a 3.01 lateron with all the features. Who knows? :)

My hope is they are waiting to push the final release, because they plan to add all the cool new stuff that just was added to the Axe 3. New drive model algorithm and amp model 😊
that's generally what they do , in the past if an Axe3 firmware is in beta you won't see an FM9 release until its out

seeing that the recent Axe 3 beta has been pretty solid and bug free and it did not release last week it is more than likely that Cliff is adding to it

Just because I ran into the same issues:
Try to set the Clock Source to S/PDIF. This syncs the FM9 clock with the Scarlett clock, and for me (Scarlett 2nd Gen 18i8) that solved the issue.
Note that this means that you need your FM9 running to get sound, so switch back if necessary.
I hate to revive a necro-thread, but wanted to say that I needed this advice today as I set up my new Scarlett 3rd-gen 18i8 on the current FW 5.0 with the current Focusrite drivers. So thank you for the solution. Not sure what was meant by needing the FM9 running to get sound, as that is not my case. I haven't tried the FM9 without the SPDIF connection, maybe that's where the problem lurks?

Yes, this is general rule for any audio rig in my experience, not vendor specific.

You need the external clock source to be up and running for the sound card to work as designed. I use my AF3 as the clock when I'm recording via SPDIF. When the AF3 isn't needed I turn it off and switch the card's clock back to Internal.

Thanks! From your statement, I think I did it backwards. I set the FM9 clock to read from SPDIF. Haven't experimented with what happens when it's not connected to anything. At least I know what to fix if it needs fixin'.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom