FM9 USB Firmware V 1.01 Public Beta

amandio

Hi Everyone,

A new beta version of the USB Firmware, v 1.01 BETA, is available for testing on the FM-9. This beta addresses several issues regarding latency stability and the actual latency of the unit itself. Here is a brief summary of improvements/fixes:
  • Importing a preset no longer changes the latency
  • (macOS only) Latency no longer changes after a period of time after powering on the unit
  • Overall latency of the unit itself has been reduced
IMPORTANT NOTE ON USB BUFFER SIZE
This beta version of firmware uses a fixed internal USB buffer size compared to previous releases which used a configurable USB buffer. Currently, the USB Buffer Size option on the front panel and in FM9 Edit will have no effect. This is not the same as the buffer size you set in ASIO/macOS. Those are still configurable.

You can download the beta using the link below. Update instructions below as well.
FM-9 USB FW v 1.01 BETA Download

THINGS TO TEST
  • USB audio input and output where latency has been an issue, e.g., re-amping.
  • Preset management with FM9 Edit, e.g, importing and exporting presets via FM9 Edit
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Unlike DSP firmware, which changes sound and features, USB firmware changes the way your FM-9 interacts with a computer.

To check your current version:
  • Press HOME
  • Press SETUP (push-knob E)
  • Select Utilities using the Nav buttons.
  • Press ENTER to show the Utilities menu.
  • Page right to the Version page.
  • Your USB firmware version is shown on the screen.
To install USB Firmware , please follow these instructions:
  1. Download and the update using the link above.
  2. Download and install Fractal-Bot from:
    https://www.fractalaudio.com/fractal-bot/
    NOTE: Windows requires that you to install a driver first. Mac OS does not require a driver.
    IMPORTANT: Quit/Exit all audio/MIDI-related apps including FM9-Edit, any DAWs, Chrome, etc.
  3. Launch Fractal-Bot and install the new USB firmware.
    1. For Step 1, choose “FM9”. You should see three green checks.
    2. For Step 2, Browse to the new USB firmware file (fm9_usb_rel_1p01_beta.syx) or drag and drop the file into the file box.
    3. For Step 3, press Begin. The file will transfer quickly. Fractal-Bot will show "Transfer Complete" when finished.
      NOTE: Unlike when installing DSP firmware, the FM9 does not show a loading screen or special reboot message.
  4. Click OK in Fractal-Bot and then reboot the FM9. Once the unit reboots, check your unit’s USB Firmware version using the process listed in the bulleted steps above these instructions.

Thanks!!

Great work @amandio! Using Logic's (Intel Mac) auto setting for compensation and just going Input 1 to Out 1 on another track it's only off by -12 samples or about 0.25 ms compared to over 10 ms in 1.00. Awesome & thanks.

While downloading the updated manual, I noticed the USB link on the Fractal website was updated a couple days ago. Is there any reason to update or is it the same as this beta version? The beta has been working great for me so far. Thanks!

I'm having issued with this firmware version. The USB playback from a connected PC into the FM9 keeps stopping. The data apparently arrives at the FM9 but doesn't get through to out 1/2 anymore. Pulling and replugging the USB cable fixed it until it stops again (couple of hours later). See pic attached PXL_20220913_133343578.jpg

I'm having issued with this firmware version. The USB playback from a connected PC into the FM9 keeps stopping. The data apparently arrives at the FM9 but doesn't get through to out 1/2 anymore. Pulling and replugging the USB cable fixed it until it stops again (couple of hours later). See pic attached View attachment 108358
Might as well be an issue with the Windows USB driver. As you can see the FM9 receives a mono signal on input 4. After pulling the USB cable and replugging it it receives stereo on input 1/2.

I'm having issued with this firmware version. The USB playback from a connected PC into the FM9 keeps stopping. The data apparently arrives at the FM9 but doesn't get through to out 1/2 anymore. Pulling and replugging the USB cable fixed it until it stops again (couple of hours later). See pic attached View attachment 108358

Did you installed the official version or the BETA ?

As i wrote before (https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm9-downloads/) the download on website must be the final version and no more beta.

Back
Top Bottom