FM9 Firmware Version 2.01 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I can't imagine why FM9 owners are a little anxious, given they have spent at least ~$1700 for this item. For many people, that is a lot of coin and maybe they just would like to have a modeler that doesn't lock up randomly or suddenly generate loud noise or distortions from the outputs. Go figure.
Goodness gracious. You’re bringing the same tired and uninformed talking points you used on TGP here? For the umpteenth time, if you want stability stick to FW1—very few, if any, bugs there. There will always be bugs in betas—that’s the point. Whining about them and using them as a means to invalidate the cost of the system is beyond stupid.

For what it’s worth, I’m still on beta 2.0, and I’m really, really enjoying this unit :) I’ll probably wait until the transformer turns thing gets addressed, but I’m super stoked to see all of the hard work FAS has put into this current beta :) it makes me excited for when the official comes out. I can see the transformer turns things is in the current bug fixes thread, so we know it’s coming, plus more. I just thank the Lord this thing sounds so great, I get to use it for Him, and it makes my life easier by walking in with a gig bag on the back, and a gator pedalboard bag in one hand. :)

No, I get it....it's beta so anything could happen. However, I think that even a cursory review or play-through of these sims prior to release of the newest beta would have shown the radically different sound? I dunno....I think it's back to v1 or into the box and out the door.

Because radical differences in sounds aren't necessarily due to bugs, especially when you're dealing with updates that include significant changes to modelling accuracy. As much as you hope those things are distinguished pre-beta, that's part of the reason software goes through beta before general availability. Even software that's gone through alpha and beta testing can have bugs, which is why your phone, computer, smart TV, and many other electronic devices get periodic updates. You're not really just now learning that, right?

You probably shouldn't say you "get it" in the same breath in which you question why a BETA release isn't perfect ;)

Last edited:
Out the door because a beta has issues? Not sure you do get it.

You don't know my particular circumstances with the FM9. The first FM9 I bought from Fractal, after extensive troubleshooting on this forum and by Fractal CS, was determined to be defective and had to be returned/exchanged for another unit. That was a frustrating experience given some of the condescending remarks by the usual suspects and the fact that the unit came with a hang-tag that stated it had been tested before shipping and hardware issues made it problematic. Oh well, life goes on, right? Maybe it got bumped too much in shipping....who knows.
The second unit....well, I've experienced a variety of issues (that others here have experienced as well) with it that "seem" to be software related. I want to like this unit but more and more, it just seems like it is a problematic platform...perhaps in the same way that others have stated the FM3 platform has been.
As usual, those with problems/issues are made to feel like they should shut up and just be happy to be part of the "family" and be grateful for being allowed in to breathe the air. Implying I don't understand beta-ware (I really just wondered out loud if this 2.01b was played before releasing is all) or that frustrations over the quality and reliability of an expensive bit of gear are misplaced and "tired and uninformed"? Please. Give me a break. I've never stated a beta-ware should be "perfect"....but basic testing prior to releasing for the public to test? Seems basic SOP to me but obviously I don't know what is or isn't done prior to a release. All I have really wanted Fractal to do is make the units reliable to operate as Job 1. No one has to agree with me and I get it that some don't.

You don't know my particular circumstances with the FM9. The first FM9 I bought from Fractal, after extensive troubleshooting on this forum and by Fractal CS, was determined to be defective and had to be returned/exchanged for another unit. That was a frustrating experience given some of the condescending remarks by the usual suspects and the fact that the unit came with a hang-tag that stated it had been tested before shipping and hardware issues made it problematic. Oh well, life goes on, right? Maybe it got bumped too much in shipping....who knows.
The second unit....well, I've experienced a variety of issues (that others here have experienced as well) with it that "seem" to be software related. I want to like this unit but more and more, it just seems like it is a problematic platform...perhaps in the same way that others have stated the FM3 platform has been.
As usual, those with problems/issues are made to feel like they should shut up and just be happy to be part of the "family" and be grateful for being allowed in to breathe the air. Implying I don't understand beta-ware (I really just wondered out loud if this 2.01b was played before releasing is all) or that frustrations over the quality and reliability of an expensive bit of gear are misplaced and "tired and uninformed"? Please. Give me a break. I've never stated a beta-ware should be "perfect"....but basic testing prior to releasing for the public to test? Seems basic SOP to me but obviously I don't know what is or isn't done prior to a release. All I have really wanted Fractal to do is make the units reliable to operate as Job 1. No one has to agree with me and I get it that some don't.
No one was telling you to "shut up and be happy" due to hardware problems or non-beta software problems. I'm sorry you've had problems to the point of having a bad experience with an FM9. I don't think that's at all normal. I would say hang in there and stick with proven firmware, and maybe not make disparaging remarks about the internal beta testing process and processors.

No one was telling you to "shut up and be happy" due to hardware problems or non-beta software problems. I'm sorry you've had problems to the point of having a bad experience with an FM9. I don't think that's at all normal. I would say hang in there and stick with proven firmware, and maybe not make disparaging remarks about the internal beta testing process and processors.
no one directly said: "shut and be happy", that is true. It's the way that some people here pile on with their comments when people bring up issues. This forum is known around the 'net to be populated with some people who are like that. Doesn't do the Fractal brand any favors, IMHO.
I am not making disparaging remarks; I am stating my opinions and questioning whether some things were done or not done. I mean, after all, this is a company that (used to have) a person there gluing the power IEC jack(s) that fell out, back in in a very unworkmanlike manner. They are not immune to hardware and software issues (obviously) and they are also not immune to employees not following procedures that would catch certain issues before they got out the door (physically and virtually).
People who are die-hard defenders of the brand should perhaps consider their words and how they come across before jumping on others who are discussing these matters. I actually support that Fractal brand, have nothing but respect for the founder while not always agreeing with what he says or how he says it and I hope that all their products are smashing successes. I also expect to have a working unit in exchange for my money. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

no one directly said: "shut and be happy", that is true. It's the way that some people here pile on with their comments when people bring up issues. This forum is known around the 'net to be populated with some people who are like that. Doesn't do the Fractal brand any favors, IMHO.
I am not making disparaging remarks; I am stating my opinions and questioning whether some things were done or not done. I mean, after all, this is a company that (used to have) a person there gluing the power IEC jack(s) that fell out, back in in a very unworkmanlike manner. They are not immune to hardware and software issues (obviously) and they are also not immune to employees not following procedures that would catch certain issues before they got out the door (physically and virtually).
People who are die-hard defenders of the brand should perhaps consider their words and how they come across before jumping on others who are discussing these matters. I actually support that Fractal brand, have nothing but respect for the founder while not always agreeing with what he says or how he says it and I hope that all their products are smashing successes. I also expect to have a working unit in exchange for my money. Nothing wrong with that, is there?
You make some great points and I have experienced the same on this forum. For as many great experiences that I’ve had with people helping to answer questions and trouble shooting issues, I’ve also experienced the backlash when I’ve seemed to fall out of line. On the very topic of this beta, I simply asked the admin if they had any additional updates as to when we might see the new firmware, as it was over 3 months at that point. Boy was that a mistake, as the #usualsuspects (as I call them) proceeded to tell me I was entitled, whining and privileged to own such a unit. Shame on me, right? I was even referenced on another thread for a different unit, but decided to ignore it, as nothing good would come from an exchange. I just want to say that for as many of “those” forum users that habitually post in such a manner, there are also plenty of us that frequent this forum and understand and appreciate your point of view. We just aren’t as vocal and often choose not to engage.

How many times did people have to raise concerns about something being wrong with the darkglass model before Cliff realized that the example on which he based the model was faulty? Now the model is fixed and that is thanks to honest feedback and Cliff's willingness to hear it.

The shred mode models of the JPIIC were added because a vocal forum participant was insistent that the shred mode was more than just a treble boost / gain boost. That person was correct and Cliff added the shred model to the input boost options.

The compander in the delay block, the carbon copy, worn tape, and DM2 delay models were added based on voluminous feedback that the available delay models were too clean / lacked character. I can't recall how many times I had seen people who asked for delays with more character get reprimanded and told that they can build it themselves by putting filters in the delay loop and reducing bit rates. While that was true, I think having these new delay models really rounds out the offerings and is a lot easier to implement than the DIY approach.

Constructive criticism should be welcomed and not dismissed. I get it; there are some trolls who just want to cause a stir, but a good faith participant with critiques and concerns should be allowed to say their peace without being brow beaten by those of us who are FAS fanatics.

The wounds of a friend are sweeter than the kisses of an enemy.

I agree that sometimes people get jumped on too quickly for pushing something they see as a problem. Most of the time I think it is a reaction to the apparent attitude in which the problem is expressed. In this case you appeared to say - without the full backstory - that you were thinking about getting rid of your FM9 because the internal beta testing team missed something so completely obvious (to you). It just seemed like an illogical conclusion to reach, and it did seem like a put-down to the team (for what purpose?). No one likes their misses rubbed in.

I agree that sometimes people get jumped on too quickly for pushing something they see as a problem. Most of the time I think it is a reaction to the apparent attitude in which the problem is expressed. In this case you appeared to say - without the full backstory - that you were thinking about getting rid of your FM9 because the internal beta testing team missed something so completely obvious (to you). It just seemed like an illogical conclusion to reach, and it did seem like a put-down to the team (for what purpose?). No one likes their misses rubbed in.
While I understand your point of view, I'll just add this: Fractal is a business. While it may seem counterintuitive to some people to have real problems discussed (repeatedly, sometimes), it can only HELP the business by improving the product. I'm not rubbing in the misses, I'm vocalizing a position that I feel ultimately advances Fractal Audio and their products. Make product stability the bedrock upon which the goodies are built.
Thank you to those people who try to help and who are not jerks. You know who you are.

How many times did people have to raise concerns about something being wrong with the darkglass model before Cliff realized that the example on which he based the model was faulty? Now the model is fixed and that is thanks to honest feedback and Cliff's willingness to hear it.

The shred mode models of the JPIIC were added because a vocal forum participant was insistent that the shred mode was more than just a treble boost / gain boost. That person was correct and Cliff added the shred model to the input boost options.

The compander in the delay block, the carbon copy, worn tape, and DM2 delay models were added based on voluminous feedback that the available delay models were too clean / lacked character. I can't recall how many times I had seen people who asked for delays with more character get reprimanded and told that they can build it themselves by putting filters in the delay loop and reducing bit rates. While that was true, I think having these new delay models really rounds out the offerings and is a lot easier to implement than the DIY approach.

Constructive criticism should be welcomed and not dismissed. I get it; there are some trolls who just want to cause a stir, but a good faith participant with critiques and concerns should be allowed to say their peace without being brow beaten by those of us who are FAS fanatics.

The wounds of a friend are sweeter than the kisses of an enemy.
Good info and more reasons to love Fractal. A small USA company vs Goliaths. Years ago I had a Yamaha DG Stomp. Loved it. Yamaha and the powers that be decided to end it and it was gone. (Well before they acquired Line 6) The beans counters figured that they didn't or couldn't move enough units.

Having a small company like Fractal actually listen to its customer base is really awesome. I understand getting frustrated and have been at times, but appreciate FAS.

Great perspective Zed, thanks man. And thank you FAS. Every update is like getting a pedal or two for free.

Kind of reminds me of the time I voiced my issues and proposed fixes on another forum regarding another product. The admin suspended my account on the forum so I sold my product. It was some German product and it was an ugly green color. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. In fact, there is nothing better than hearing from your direct users to understand their needs.

So, I rolled back to firmware v1 and promptly got the "block library error". All the presets on the unit are showing as empty. Refreshing after rollback didn't help. Fm9 edit is the V1 as well. Preset manager shows all my preset names but nothing on the unit. Did a Fracbot restoration of first bank of presets and that resulted in no joy.
Posting this in case anyone else should experience the same. Previous posters have had this issue. When I get back home, I'll see.if.i can find the block library folder and try to delete the offending files. Oi! Fun times!

So, I rolled back to firmware v1 and promptly got the "block library error". All the presets on the unit are showing as empty. Refreshing after rollback didn't help. Fm9 edit is the V1 as well. Preset manager shows all my preset names but nothing on the unit. Did a Fracbot restoration of first bank of presets and that resulted in no joy.
Posting this in case anyone else should experience the same. Previous posters have had this issue. When I get back home, I'll see.if.i can find the block library folder and try to delete the offending files. Oi! Fun times!
I reverted a while back from 2.0 to v1 but for FM9-edit, I removed the new version through "add/remove programs" and manually deleted the related program files folder entirely before installing the older version. "C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio\FM9-Edit"

Thank you. I'm on a Mac though.
I did "replace" the V2 FM9 edit though.
No doubt it was Operator Error somewhere but who knows.

I won't pretend to know the mac side any longer. I did own a mac but when it died I switched to the "dark" side. It used to be here :[User]/Library/Application Support/Fractal. Not sure if it is anymore.

Will V2 Edit not work with V1 firmware? I guess I assumed Edit was backward compatible but maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom