FM9 Firmware Version 2.01 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps but I didn't want any extraneous parameters sitting in fm9-edit that no longer existed on the unit in case that caused issues.

Firmware 2.01b here - no issues until today, powered on and it just "stuck" at the loading screen.

Not complaining, just noting it in case anyone sees the same. 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20220407_183417.jpg
    IMG_20220407_183417.jpg
    689.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220407_183413.jpg
    IMG_20220407_183413.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220407_183408.jpg
    IMG_20220407_183408.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 6
I won't pretend to know the mac side any longer. I did own a mac but when it died I switched to the "dark" side. It used to be here :[User]/Library/Application Support/Fractal. Not sure if it is anymore.

Will V2 Edit not work with V1 firmware? I guess I assumed Edit was backward compatible but maybe not.
@dean701 I'll check that location when I get home. Thanks!

I thought that since each new firmware requires an updated Edit, it would be better to try to keep them synced.

OMG... my main gigging presets are UNREAL now on the FM9... So much catchup to my Axe FX III main rig!!!

Thanks guys... no bugs for me yet, but I know you guys will fix the ones others are having!

I was.unable to get past step 1 of this procedure. Posting for anyone else thinking of rolling back firmware.

edit: I found the "block library log" on my Mac at: Documents/Fractal Audio/FM9 Edit
deleted the log contents. powered on the FM9 and then had to delete the log again. Then I FracBotted Bank A from December 2021backup and that worked. Then I quick built a preset using my poweramp/guitar cab. Success. So far, so good.
Thanks to those who lent me a hand. Much appreciated.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 0E56632A-9897-426B-A356-24765BBC1D5D.png
    0E56632A-9897-426B-A356-24765BBC1D5D.png
    220.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Will V2 Edit not work with V1 firmware? I guess I assumed Edit was backward compatible but maybe not.
Edit might not be the problem. Reverting the firmware to v1 results in the firmware not understanding blocks that were touched/saved/exported by v2 which was from the future.

So, yes, backward compatibility works because v2 of the editor and firmware can read blocks and presets from v1, but vice-versa seldom works.

I thought that since each new firmware requires an updated Edit, it would be better to try to keep them synced.
That's not necessarily true. If blocks change or are added then the Editor needs to know about the changes and they'll add/change the editing screens for the affected parameters. If the change was something that doesn't impact the editor then there's no reason to update it.

Said differently, newer editors know about older firmware and are happy.

Last edited:
I was.unable to get past step 1 of this procedure. Posting for anyone else thinking of rolling back firmware.

edit: I found the "block library log" on my Mac at: Documents/Fractal Audio/FM9 Edit
deleted the log contents. powered on the FM9 and then had to delete the log again. Then I FracBotted Bank A from December 2021backup and that worked. Then I quick built a preset using my poweramp/guitar cab. Success. So far, so good.
Thanks to those who lent me a hand. Much appreciated.
Cheers!
Glad to hear your backup worked!

I agree that sometimes people get jumped on too quickly for pushing something they see as a problem. Most of the time I think it is a reaction to the apparent attitude in which the problem is expressed. In this case you appeared to say - without the full backstory - that you were thinking about getting rid of your FM9 because the internal beta testing team missed something so completely obvious (to you). It just seemed like an illogical conclusion to reach, and it did seem like a put-down to the team (for what purpose?). No one likes their misses rubbed in.
I agree.

Ok sure, but literally the only reason it's the smaller user base is because Fractal literally can't make them fast enough. They had people beating down their door trying to get their hands on one, the waitlist is long af... so saying "well let's not prioritize it because it's not a big market" feels... idunno... insulting?
It's nothing to do with the "market". You don't support the market, you support the customers. The actual number of people possessing them is very small compared to the Axe Fx III and FM3.

They aren't limited because Fractal "can't make them fast enough" - they can't make them AT ALL. There is a global chip shortage in case you're not aware?

It's nothing to do with the "market". You don't support the market, you support the customers. The actual number of people possessing them is very small compared to the Axe Fx III and FM3.

They aren't limited because Fractal "can't make them fast enough" - they can't make them AT ALL. There is a global chip shortage in case you're not aware?
To add, the fm9 was released 2 1/2 years after the fm3. The fm3 was released in April of 2019 and the FM9 came out in Aug 2021. If you want the stable release then stick with v1 and just be patient that version 2 non beta will be out in a few months.

Related to the chip shortage, our company is awaiting 1000+ network routers/switches/firewalls and we are getting ETA dates into 2023. It's #$%^ crazy. They were ordered last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm fully aware, no need for the snark :) I'm just trying to make sense of the frustration I feel when I hear somebody dismiss the FM9 user base as the smallest and therefore not as important.

(And as long as we're being pedantic, I said "literally cannot make them fast enough". Not able to make them at all is literally "not fast enough").

I'm fully aware, no need for the snark :) I'm just trying to make sense of the frustration I feel when I hear somebody dismiss the FM9 user base as the smallest and therefore not as important.

(And as long as we're being pedantic, I said "literally cannot make them fast enough". Not able to make them at all is literally "not fast enough").
There was no snarkiness in my response. Sorry if you read it that way.

Your "not fast enough" comment implies they are making them slowly, which isn't really the same except in the most literal sense, but ok...

I'm not "dismissing" anything. I'm sharing my opinion on why I think the FM9 user base isn't being treated with the same priority as the Axe Fx III or FM3.

You're allowed your own opinion, as am I, as is everyone else.

There was no snarkiness in my response. Sorry if you read it that way.

Your "not fast enough" comment implies they are making them slowly, which isn't really the same except in the most literal sense, but ok...

I'm not "dismissing" anything. I'm sharing my opinion on why I think the FM9 user base isn't being treated with the same priority as the Axe Fx III or FM3.

You're allowed your own opinion, as am I, as is everyone else.
Apologies, I wasn't intending for that "someone dismissing" statement to refer to you, more so when you brought up that it makes sense as to why the FM9 is last in line my immediate response was "if that's really Fractal's reasoning, that sucks", so it was more referring to a hypothetical dismissal by Fractal, I guess.

Anywho we could probably go round and round on this all night.

Apologies, I wasn't intending for that "someone dismissing" statement to refer to you, more so when you brought up that it makes sense as to why the FM9 is last in line my immediate response was "if that's really Fractal's reasoning, that sucks", so it was more referring to a hypothetical dismissal by Fractal, I guess.

Anywho we could probably go round and round on this all night.
All good... Too much lip flapping and not enough guitar playing around here, anyway :)

It's nothing to do with the "market". You don't support the market, you support the customers.
This is a reality. Companies MUST pay attention to their user base.

The actual number of people possessing them is very small compared to the Axe Fx III and FM3.
No company wants the situation that SO many companies find themselves in right now, of having a new product that they had reason to believe was going to sell REALLY well, they got requests for it, and then their supply chain fell apart under them leaving them unable to meet demand. And, even after repeated attempts, they haven't been able to get the parts they need. They'd LOVE to have a much larger FM9 userbase, but it's out of Fractal's hands until the supply chains start working again.

So, in the meantime, they focus on the priorities of their userbase, they're continuing to push their products forward, and they're still servicing each product's user base, but, reality is reality, whether it's uncomfortable to hear, that the product that currently has the most users will get more attention. EVERY company out there would do the same thing.

It's not a vendetta, it's not a conspiracy, it's nothing against someone, it's just taking care of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom