FM9 Firmware Version 2.01 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone clarify, do i need to switch amp block back and forth after update like we used to have to or is it all set with the update?

Also do we need to update again when its no longer beta version?

Thanks!

Can someone clarify, do i need to switch amp block back and forth after update like we used to have to or is it all set with the update?

Also do we need to update again when its no longer beta version?

Thanks!
I think you only need to reset the amp block if you're coming from Ares, which I don't think the FM9 ever had. Since the release version will probably contain additional fixes, you'll want to update when that comes out, too.

Just commenting on the tonal differences before/after updating-

I was initially turned off by it after updating due to my Gilmour presets not sounding the same, but I had band practice on Sunday and used the same preset I’ve been using for months, just with a different guitar this time and holy fucking shit, if I had to live with just one tone for the rest of my life it’d be my main distorted tone. Granted, I went from using split-coils in a PRS semi-hollow to the Gilmour Strat with EMG’s, but damn does it do that 400lb Strat on the neck pickup thing so well!

Pulled out my 7-string last night and went through my Mesa/5150 presets doing the chugga chugga thing, there might be some slight differences but not enough to even complain about. My presets are generally in a constant state of changing, usually just small tweaks to the B,M,T with the core sound of the amp remaining the same and generally because I’m always swapping guitars that sound different from each other. Whichever way the changes end up taking place, I’m sure I’ll be just fine.

Just commenting on the tonal differences before/after updating-

I was initially turned off by it after updating due to my Gilmour presets not sounding the same, but I had band practice on Sunday and used the same preset I’ve been using for months, just with a different guitar this time and holy fucking shit, if I had to live with just one tone for the rest of my life it’d be my main distorted tone. Granted, I went from using split-coils in a PRS semi-hollow to the Gilmour Strat with EMG’s, but damn does it do that 400lb Strat on the neck pickup thing so well!

Pulled out my 7-string last night and went through my Mesa/5150 presets doing the chugga chugga thing, there might be some slight differences but not enough to even complain about. My presets are generally in a constant state of changing, usually just small tweaks to the B,M,T with the core sound of the amp remaining the same and generally because I’m always swapping guitars that sound different from each other. Whichever way the changes end up taking place, I’m sure I’ll be just fine.
Hey dude! Can you clarify did you tweak the Gilmour or just use the different guitar? What was lacking with the new FW?
Also did you change the amp block back and forth to get the changes from the FW activated? Can't seem to get that clarified

Thanks!

Hey dude! Can you clarify did you tweak the Gilmour or just use the different guitar? What was lacking with the new FW?
Also did you change the amp block back and forth to get the changes from the FW activated? Can't seem to get that clarified

Thanks!
No need to change the amp block back and forth anymore. I think that stopped a while back. Just refresh the amp block in edit

Thanks!

I tweaked the Gilmour presets briefly when I first updated but didn’t spend much time on them. Nothing else was tweaked after that, namely my gigging/cover band preset. One of those cases where any changes made negatively affected one group of presets but may have made them sound even better in another group…..but hard to tell because the guitars are quite different, IE- split-coils in a humbucker VS active single coils. I barely heard my gigging preset with the EMG’s previous to that and not at gig volume, so there could be some room for error wrapped up in all of that. I just know it sounded better than it’s ever sounded on Sunday with a different guitar and at gig volume.

All I did was hit Refresh After Update , which I just do out of habit after updates these days.

I’ll give the Gilmour presets another go tonight and see where they’re at. Unfortunately, I never captured any recordings of it aside from video from my phone, but unless I was hearing things really oddly that night, there was quite the difference with them.

I tweaked the Gilmour presets briefly when I first updated but didn’t spend much time on them. Nothing else was tweaked after that, namely my gigging/cover band preset. One of those cases where any changes made negatively affected one group of presets but may have made them sound even better in another group…..but hard to tell because the guitars are quite different, IE- split-coils in a humbucker VS active single coils. I barely heard my gigging preset with the EMG’s previous to that and not at gig volume, so there could be some room for error wrapped up in all of that. I just know it sounded better than it’s ever sounded on Sunday with a different guitar and at gig volume.

All I did was hit Refresh After Update , which I just do out of habit after updates these days.

I’ll give the Gilmour presets another go tonight and see where they’re at. Unfortunately, I never captured any recordings of it aside from video from my phone, but unless I was hearing things really oddly that night, there was quite the difference with them.
This is a newb question, but what is “refresh after update”? Haha is that in axe edit where it just rereads the preset?

That refreshes the individual block definitions in Axe-Edit/FMx-Edit. You can manually force a refresh via the editor menu "Settings ->Refresh After New Firmware".
Got ya! Is that something that’s on by default in the Axe editors; when you see all of the text at the bottom of the screen moving lightning fast?

Got ya! Is that something that’s on by default in the Axe editors; when you see all of the text at the bottom of the screen moving lightning fast?

A firmware update on the device should trigger a refresh of the block definitions by default on the editor (it always has for me) but, if for some reason it doesn't, a manual refresh works in that case...you should see "Reading Block Definitions for xxxxxx" or something like that on the bottom of the editor screen when that's happening.

Preset names are also refreshed on editor start if that option is checked in the preferences; Cab names are refreshed after changes are made to the banks, etc.

A firmware update on the device should trigger a refresh of the block definitions by default on the editor (it always has for me) but, if for some reason it doesn't, a manual refresh works in that case...you should see "Reading Block Definitions for xxxxxx" or something like that on the bottom of the editor screen when that's happening.

Preset names are also refreshed on editor start if that option is checked in the preferences; Cab names are refreshed after changes are made to the banks, etc.
Got ya! I actually turned that option off haha but it’s good to know that now to do it manually after firmware updates! Thanks!

I recall Joe toying with several brands of switches, some of which were useless (broke almost immediately) but maybe he swapped out the NC's?

You've got NC's, and no PDL jack issues other than the HOLD bug FAS was hoping to repair?
Correct for my setup.

No need to change the amp block back and forth anymore. I think that stopped a while back. Just refresh the amp block in edit
They are different ways to do the same thing ;)

But we only really need a reset of the Amp block when the firmware requires it, and that's almost always called out in the release notes.

Wow, that's a big update! Does it have the same things as the latest Axe fx III update now?
Hope it will be available in Europe soon!!

Last edited:
I'm curious as to why the iteration cycle on the FM9 feels so much longer than on the FM3. I get why the AxeFX is usually first as it's the flagship, but I'd image that the development pipelines of both the FM3 and the FM9 are similar enough that much of it could be re-used (please correct me if I'm wrong though!)

It feels like the FM9 firmwares just take forever to kick out the door, even the beta versions. It's hard not to feel frustrated, especially when both the other units currently sound significantly better than the FM9 :( (at least for the sounds I go for)

I'm curious as to why the iteration cycle on the FM9 feels so much longer than on the FM3. I get why the AxeFX is usually first as it's the flagship, but I'd image that the development pipelines of both the FM3 and the FM9 are similar enough that much of it could be re-used (please correct me if I'm wrong though!)

It feels like the FM9 firmwares just take forever to kick out the door, even the beta versions. It's hard not to feel frustrated, especially when both the other units currently sound significantly better than the FM9 :( (at least for the sounds I go for)
I was hoping they would slip in the turns ratio correction, so we would at least be on par sound wise.

I was hoping they would slip in the turns ratio correction, so we would at least be on par sound wise.
2.01b came out before that was discovered, which is the root of my frustration: it's either

a) upgrade to 2.01b to try out all the new goodies and have a significantly worse sound
b) stay on 2.00b and miss out on the improvements, but still have a sound that's pretty good

Right now I'm sticking with my FM3 on 5.02 because it has the turns improvement, but that also kinda bums me out since the FM9 is supposed to be an upgrade :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom